• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press to Reissue Azumanga in New English Edition

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pirkaf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:48 am Reply with quote
As a proud owner of the omnibus edition, I'd rather see the reissue of Gunslinger Girl..
ScrappedAeon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:27 am Reply with quote
New English edition? Does that mean Osaka is going to speak like her English anime counterpart now?
Polly E.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote
Pirkaf wrote:
As a proud owner of the omnibus edition, I'd rather see the reissue of Gunslinger Girl..

A re-issue and continuation please. Really sad that this one's been at a stand-still for so long.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote
I don't see how this is possible.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote
ADV still hanging on to whatever's not done, that way no one can benifit from the new stuff from what they've done.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:54 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

They own the rights and are now making something that people can buy.

I already own the original single volumes, so unless this comes with a huge amount of bells and whistles I won't be getting it.

However, anyone that hasn't got a chance to read this owes it to themselves to pick this up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:00 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

Neither do I, but I doubt I will get it since I already have the ADV released version of it. Unless it's something much better than what was already done then I will pass on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
corinthian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:02 am Reply with quote
ScrappedAeon wrote:
New English edition? Does that mean Osaka is going to speak like her English anime counterpart now?

Not likely since ADV handled the anime too.

Maybe they'll preview it in YenPlus. I could use an excuse to start buying that magazine
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:22 am Reply with quote
Believe. Nothing.
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I'll be curious to see how this is received, particularly if there are changes in translation, additional notes, etc. If it sounds worth it, I'll probably go ahead and buy the Yen Press version and donate my ADV volumes to the library I work at. They don't have it, and if Yotsuba& is circulating well, more than likely AzuDai will as well.

Plus, I like tossing money Yen Press' way. They release some really great stuff that no one else would touch with a ten foot pole, like With the Light.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:08 pm Reply with quote
While new re-releases from Yen are always, always a wondrous thing in my book, I would've linked to see a different title or, better yet, titles showcased for this sorta thing.

For example, a scarsely-known series I so enjoyed, Desert Coral, or, even better, breathing new life into any of the stellar OEL series from TP's restructure (Off*Beat, My Cat Loki, to name a few worthy candidates). Anime hyper

I don't particularly have anything against Azumanga, it's simply that I truly and earnestly wish to see the aforementioned titles reach their respective final vols. (And I shalt not rest until this becomes a reality).
NERVchild

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Polly E. wrote:
Pirkaf wrote:

A re-issue and continuation please. Really sad that this one's been at a stand-still for so long.

I'll agree to this wholeheartedly. It's been almost a year and 1/2 since the last English one came out, and a year ago I was able to see vol. 7-9 in Japan, IIRC.

Even with the lack of loli gunners, I still applaud the rerelease of Azumanga. Anything that broadens its fanbase is a good thing in my book.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
Believe. Nothing.

Here, here.

I was had not more than 30 minutes after midnight, after getting home from a long day at work... I'm on strict lookout for the rest of the day. Smile
bleuster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:16 pm Reply with quote
The creator, Azuma Kiyohiko, is also planning something as a 10th anniversary thing for Azumanga, too. Nice to see interest sparked in my favorite anime/manga series again.

I'm glad Yen Press is going back to clean up the manga translation a bit. Osaka probably won't be talking in that silly "Brooklyn accent" and Yukari won't switch from a Spanish teacher to an English teacher midway through the series.
Also, I believe ADV left out some of the translator notes on one or two volumes, if I'm not mistaken, so this gives Yen Press a chance to fix that, as well.

I hope they plan on fixing Yotsuba a bit, at least the atrocious mistakes on volume 3. Or, actually, I'll fix them myself (with a sharpie).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ScrappedAeon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:46 pm Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:
Also, I believe ADV left out some of the translator notes on one or two volumes, if I'm not mistaken, so this gives Yen Press a chance to fix that, as well.

I hope they plan on fixing Yotsuba a bit, at least the atrocious mistakes on volume 3. Or, actually, I'll fix them myself (with a sharpie).

Well I know they didn't put all the notes in the Omnibus. I think the first two were left out of that.

Also, explain the Yotsuba mistakes. I read all through volume 3 and I don't recall any glaring issues. Except for some printing mistakes (extra pages).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2