• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Natsu no Arashi (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Natsu no Arashi

I just watched the first episode on Crunchyroll and I was a little confused on what was going on. The episode didn't really impress me but I'll probably watch the next episode to see if it's a little better.

[EDIT: Added the Encyc. entry and fixed your tacky paragraph breaks. -TK]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quote
That was interesting. spoiler[Kids with the ability to time travel, and they use it to play pranks and obtain strawberry shortcake. I approve.]

The character designs seem a little weird, although I can't quite put my finger on it. The animation style isn't quite full-fledged SHAFT madness, but was that a SZS I'm in despair reference I saw in the middle of the episode?

Also, what was the thing on the weather vain?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
That was interesting. spoiler[Kids with the ability to time travel, and they use it to play pranks and obtain strawberry shortcake. I approve.]

The character designs seem a little weird, although I can't quite put my finger on it. The animation style isn't quite full-fledged SHAFT madness, but was that a SZS I'm in despair reference I saw in the middle of the episode?

Also, what was the thing on the weather vain?

That thing was a yukkuri. It's a long story, but it's basically a 2ch ascii art meme based off characters from Touhou. In specific, it was a yukkuri reimu.

Anyway, don't sweat it. Take it easy...
bucklemyshoe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote
If Dorcas_Aurelia spoiler comment didn't sell me anything having to do with Touhou did!

Off to check this out.
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
The animation style isn't quite full-fledged SHAFT madness, but was that a SZS I'm in despair reference I saw in the middle of the episode?

Definitely, the hallmark of all compulsive neurotics Laughing

It's really a weird show, but not in a bad way.
Few days ago I started rereading Stanislaw Lem's The Star Diaries, gigling over The Seventh Voyage, and that time thing - it was in the episode (and was done right, by the way) Very Happy

... I kind of got the feeling I was watching the strangest mahou shoujo ever, but I'll keep up with the series. Everything aired for the season was close to "facepalms" so far.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Loved it. It was quirky, spoiler[the time travel] caught me by surprise in a good way, and it had enough humor in its cliches to work. Laughing

The OP hints at fanservice. I really hope they stay hints.

After watching it, I did a search, found out it's from a manga and read some plot spoilers. Wish I hadn't, 'because surprises are fun in this show!

Notes: Where did Hajime get Luffy's hat? Laughing

The ED: First, I was impressed by the Ipod commercial visuals, then I realized that those visuals wouldn't change. Focusing on one character during the whole song is boring.

Anyone know how many episodes there are?
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Mike On Top wrote:

It's really a weird show, but not in a bad way.
Few days ago I started rereading Stanislaw Lem's The Star Diaries, gigling over The Seventh Voyage, and that time thing - it was in the episode (and was done right, by the way) Very Happy

Thanks to you, I had to go and reread the damn thing Crying or Very sad

But yeah, this is precisely why I think the show has much potential - you can take a few minutes, some single event and turn it into an episode, or five, or ten, without any loss in quality if done properly. Time travel rocks Wink
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:34 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Anyone know how many episodes there are?

According to teh googleness, 13.

Quote:
you can take a few minutes, some single event and turn it into an episode, or five, or ten

Well, it seems the only show I can't, I repeat :], I can't guess what they are going to bring in the next episode. The more I think about it, more other references to other anime series come to mind. spoiler[The gravitaional loops provided by the nee-sans by changing from a maid outfit into the freaking school uniform], just stunned me. What was that - a silent sarcasm as in Chobits? And those pointed eyes designs as in MKR Very Happy?
If so, the humor is a little far fetched, but at least is a teaser Cool
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:57 am Reply with quote
Analog_Now wrote:
I just watched the first episode on Crunchyroll and I was a little confused on what was going on. The episode didn't really impress me but I'll probably watch the next episode to see if it's a little better.

To know more about the series, it may help to read the manga as well. Currently there are five volumes to my recollection that are out right now. I'm looking forward to this series, seeing how its written by Jin Kobayashi, author of School Rumble.
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Analog_Now wrote:

To know more about the series, it may help to read the manga as well. Currently there are five volumes to my recollection that are out right now. I'm looking forward to this series, seeing how its written by Jin Kobayashi, author of School Rumble.

I wish I could read the manga Sad but I'm not a millionaire and I can't get everything I want. I was thinking of watching School Rumble xD
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Bizarre first episode. Nothing made sense but was still entertaining anyway. I have a feeling we'll see some explanations into everyone's abilities come out in future episodes.

And is it just me or is this show emphasizing a lot on navel fanservice? Confused
Sidhardha

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
While the first episode didn't impress me, i have big hopes in this anime, as its made by manga of Jin Kobayashi - that made School Rumble: so unless he sudenly lost all of his talent - this show HAS to be good!
shogun22

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Update: Episode 2 of the anime will start from the beginning of the manga.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:10 am Reply with quote
Just watch episode 2; it seems like there will be a bit more story to this. I'm still not entirely clear on whether it's worth watching or not. The art continues to be weird, and more of then that not, in a bad way.
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:22 am Reply with quote
Hey this is from that School Rumble dude. ..I think.

Is the main character as likeable as Harima is? Harima is practically the only reason I watched School Rumble to begin with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3