• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken: Nendoroid Miku Hatsune

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sentire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote
The sad part is that because everything else lately has been so bad, this review seems so positive. Mostly it just seems to be an improvement over the L figure. But is it worth $40? I wish Rob would have commented on that.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:01 pm Reply with quote
$40 seems about average for larger figures. The 6-inch Saint Seiya dolls run about twice that while $6-$8 is fairly common for the 3 inch blind box stuff. You're not getting just one doll, but more like 3 or 4 because of all the changeable parts. I think my daughter has paid something like $25-$35 for Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts guys who only have extra weapons.

Would you rather they sold the doll solid in 4 different versions for $25 a pop?
bugmenot
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:12 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Kayu1111"] It's LEN! Len Kagamine! I hate to be nit-picky about it, LOL. But Rin and Len are named for Right and Left.[/quote]

レン is Len or Ren both are correct. Where are you getting the idea Len and Rin come from left and right? The kanji readings do not match at all. Wikipedia is not a source XP

Anyhow, I have this figure and love it. Beautiful work.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Sentire wrote:
The sad part is that because everything else lately has been so bad, this review seems so positive. Mostly it just seems to be an improvement over the L figure. But is it worth $40? I wish Rob would have commented on that.

Well, I suppose to some extent that depends on on how much you want an SD Miku figure. But considering that Rob thought the L figure to be at least a halfway decent buy at $40, and this figure is an improvement on it on all the technical aspects, I'd say it's probably worth the price.
poisondusk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:03 am Reply with quote
I want Nendoroid Miku, but I've spent too much on figures recently.

$40 is quite a lot, but I think Nendoroids are worth it if you like the character. I own Len and Kaito, who were released in November last year and February this year respectively, and was surprised by the improvements to the line even in such a short space of time, but both of them are really nice quality. I'd say if you like the look of a Nendoroid from photographs of it, then it's worth buying.
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:16 am Reply with quote
Very Happy I just bought this toy last weekend at Kinokuniya and I was pretty impressed.
I've had a history of breaking figurines (I think the worst was when I snapped the leg joint on a Saber Lion Nendroid Anime cry), but Miku was surprisingly easy to configure.

I'm not sure if all the Nendroids can switch heads (I would assume so though, since it's just a general joint), but Miku and Saber Lion at least, can switch heads. This could be fun with a bunch of Nendroids.

Yes, $40 seems expensive for a figure, but I think the nendroid series is worth it.
It's a really high quality figurine, and is especially fun because it has 3 different faces, an arm variant, a leg variant, a leek, and a different hand variant so that she can hold the leek.
If it came with no variants, then I'd say it was a little overpriced, but all the variants make it worth it to me.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Kayu1111 wrote:
It's LEN! Len Kagamine! I hate to be nit-picky about it, LOL. But Rin and Len are named for Right and Left.

Good. I didn't want to be the one to say it. Lol.

And the "dismay" face is Miku Hachune, which is kinda a parody off Churuya, I think.

Quote:
Kayu1111 wrote:
It's LEN! Len Kagamine! I hate to be nit-picky about it, LOL. But Rin and Len are named for Right and Left.

レン is Len or Ren both are correct. Where are you getting the idea Len and Rin come from left and right? The kanji readings do not match at all. Wikipedia is not a source XP

Two things:

http://www.crypton.co.jp/mp/pages/prod/vocaloid/cv02.jsp

"Kagamine Rin/Len"

Must I say more? Ren actually ISN'T correct. Neither is Ruka instead of Luka.

And it's kinda obvious. Kagami means mirror. RIght, LEft, RIn, LEn. They wouldn't bother to use an L for Len otherwise.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
People keep asking is $40 worth it or not, but in a sense I think so if it's in tip top shape and it's something from your favorite series. That's where it counts to me. I would pay $40 for a Lucky Star nendoroid if they had it available, and if I had the suitable finances, which is something that has restricted my spending in all formats currently.
Kickerman28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Kayu1111 wrote:

Good. I didn't want to be the one to say it. Lol.

And the "dismay" face is Miku Hachune, which is kinda a parody off Churuya, I think.

Quote:
Kayu1111 wrote:

Two things:

http://www.crypton.co.jp/mp/pages/prod/vocaloid/cv02.jsp

"Kagamine Rin/Len"

Must I say more? Ren actually ISN'T correct. Neither is Ruka instead of Luka.

And it's kinda obvious. Kagami means mirror. RIght, LEft, RIn, LEn. They wouldn't bother to use an L for Len otherwise.

Are you sure? I checked the Japanese Wikipedia, and it says that Rin comes from the kanji 鈴 (Rin) which means "Bell," and that Ren comes from the kanji 連 (Ren), specifically in the reading of the phrase 連なる存在 (Tsuranaru Sonzai) which means "Emerging Existence." The magazine Vocaloid Maniacs seems to make a mention of the L/R transliteration as being related to the Left Right idea, but somehow I have my doubts (mainly because the Japanese pronunciation of the English word "right" would lend to Rin's name being "Rain" instead). Do you have a source that comments on this directly? And any reason why it has to be Luka and not Ruka, similar to the Left/Right idea? Japanese people have a relatively good grasp of English (especially when it comes to "Engrish" and trying to sound cool XP), so choosing "L" in Len's name could have been completely arbitrary and coincidental.

For those who aren't familiar, Japanese doesn't have the "L" sound in their language, and it's common practice to interchange between "L" and "R" when translating Japanese words into English (of course, not so flexible as to be able to call L from Death Note "Eru" Anime hyper).
bugmenot
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Kickerman28 wrote:
Are you sure? I checked the Japanese Wikipedia, and it says that Rin comes from the kanji 鈴 (Rin) which means "Bell," and that Ren comes from the kanji 連 (Ren), specifically in the reading of the phrase 連なる存在 (Tsuranaru Sonzai) which means "Emerging Existence." The magazine Vocaloid Maniacs seems to make a mention of the L/R transliteration as being related to the Left Right idea, but somehow I have my doubts (mainly because the Japanese pronunciation of the English word "right" would lend to Rin's name being "Rain" instead). Do you have a source that comments on this directly? And any reason why it has to be Luka and not Ruka, similar to the Left/Right idea? Japanese people have a relatively good grasp of English (especially when it comes to "Engrish" and trying to sound cool XP), so choosing "L" in Len's name could have been completely arbitrary and coincidental.

For those who aren't familiar, Japanese doesn't have the "L" sound in their language, and it's common practice to interchange between "L" and "R" when translating Japanese words into English (of course, not so flexible as to be able to call L from Death Note "Eru" XD).

That was my thought, the L and R usage is complete arbitrary, Graphic designers may add a romanization for visual effect without an official choice of L or R and sometimes changing from medium to medium(Example : Spice and Wolf 's Holo/Horo)
ll Miya ll

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm a vocaloid fan so I know all about Miku. Hastune Miku was not originally made with a leek. It was an add on that we fans made. along with her pairings ex. LenxMiku KaitoxMiku and everyone loves a good yuri pairing RinxMiku. To tell the truth Miku is decided by fans. As for the Rin and Len argument above Kagamine correct me If I'm wrong means mirror. twins see? And Rin and Len are not real twins because they are just voices. Their voices are twins. Also I recommend not reading the manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2