• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dragon Ball Z Kai (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Killhunter75

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote
But if the story is going so fast, I don't miss important stuff or anything? And censorship annoys me a bit, but I hope it's not on the Blu-ray dvd version..
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I have only seen the first 3 episodes on the BluRay and they were not edited visually like Nicktoons.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:25 pm Reply with quote
The all censorship were removed blood and cigarettes and it was all cut from Japanese version- so I doubt if it would be back on Blue-Ray.

Removed arcs were pure fillers- the cartoon quickly cached up manga- and you wouldn't miss anything if you left them. IMHO new version makes more sense. If you enjoy it you would watch extra episodes from original series and threat them as a specials:P
Killhunter75

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Ok, thanks. First I have to get through Dragon Ball, so I just decide after that... Razz

Though, the blu-ray is very expansive for 13 episodes... Sad
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Don't look at official price- in stores it's usually cheaper. For example amazon at the moment offers a nice discount.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Kai has the luxury of a more rigorous pacing, but not only does it leave in some filler, but it leaves in some of the worst filler, and even still cuts out canon manga material. Not to mention, that, filler material was never really the problem with Z, it was the padding of the canon material through long panning and drawing out. A lot of the "extra" anime-only stuff like Goku falling of Snake Way or Gohan meeting the grumpy robot in the cave actually helped give the story room to breathe in the environment of an anime adaptation. In some places, Kai seems a little too hurried and abrupt because of this, and sudden cuts of little bits of material, because instead of reanimating the whole thing, they decided to just make cuts here and there.

I recognize Kai for its advantage in terms of pacing, but it really does seem like a pretty lazy product. Had they completely reanimated it, I might think more highly of it. My attitude towards it now is that it's a decent alternative to enduring the longer stretches of Z, but it's not really a replacement, and outside of the new improved English dub, I have little reason to ever purchase it. The Dragon Boxes are where it's at for me.

(Oh, and maybe we should have a thread for feedback from the airings on Nicktoons.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I agree with you, penguintruth. I miss alot of the filler and it helped flesh things out to me. I really felt it for Gohan and the filler like the robot and dinosaur. Felt as though he didn't really experience surviving in the wild alone. Just rushing too much here. I'm more concerned for new viewers, as I feel like alot is being thrown at them and many things not explained.
pain-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:47 am Reply with quote
Ya its a filler just like some more anime seem to do now a days.
I don't see why they would need these filler anime's for its pointless.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:01 am Reply with quote
The filler from Z is not like most of the filler you see in today's anime.
Zs filler took place within arcs over the span of a couple episodes. Current filler takes the cast out of the current arc to place them into an entirely new situation for weeks and then right back into the source arc as if nothing as happened.

Well that is how most of the shounen titles Z is most related to does filler now. There are shows like Detective Conan that just does a handful of filler episodes.
pain-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:48 am Reply with quote
That or it is the biggest load of crap i ever seen they use fillers for most anime shows now a days none of the good anime's are ever on anymore
darklordchris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:15 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
Most people who are complaining are probably watching it in regular Standard Def. It looks all the same and really can't tell the detail from the original DVD cut. If you watch it in HD a lot of it looks much better much more vibrant color cleaner animation and the detail in a lot of the minor details just look better over all.
The biggest complaint i have is the opening and ending song. What horrible music for one of the largest anime shows in history. They should have just kept to original music and animation for the open/ending themes.

that brings back memories. do you think its as bad as the yu yu hakusho music?
darklordchris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
I agree with you, penguintruth. I miss alot of the filler and it helped flesh things out to me. I really felt it for Gohan and the filler like the robot and dinosaur. Felt as though he didn't really experience surviving in the wild alone. Just rushing too much here. I'm more concerned for new viewers, as I feel like alot is being thrown at them and many things not explained.

i kind of agree but i kind of don't. i mostly agree with the cuts i've seen so far{ like nappa destroying the worlds military and gokus painfully long journey on snake way). however i'm not so sure about stuff that might get cut later (such as vegeta becoming a super sayian while training in space).

I'm not sure about how i feel about the fights being cut. you would think that would be the thing they leave intact. parts of goku vs freeza being cut seems reasonable, but i've heard they also cut some fight parts that aren't filler in the vegeta vs zarbon fight.

and i have to say i think vegeta and goku's rematch should go unedited, as i heard it wasn't that good in the manga.
SecretAgent94

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I just miss the Falcouner music and original english narrator.

Last edited by SecretAgent94 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:29 pm Reply with quote
SecretAgent94 wrote:
I just miss the Falcouner music.

That stuff was garbage. I don't miss it at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jsc315

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:55 pm Reply with quote
darklordchris wrote:
jsc315 wrote:
Most people who are complaining are probably watching it in regular Standard Def. It looks all the same and really can't tell the detail from the original DVD cut. If you watch it in HD a lot of it looks much better much more vibrant color cleaner animation and the detail in a lot of the minor details just look better over all.
The biggest complaint i have is the opening and ending song. What horrible music for one of the largest anime shows in history. They should have just kept to original music and animation for the open/ending themes.

that brings back memories. do you think its as bad as the yu yu hakusho music?

Since I have been watching this for a while now the new opening theme song kind of grown on me, but I have a love for the original so much more. Also I really liked the opening to Yu Yu Hakusho so I'm not the person to ask.

The new soundtrack to DB Kai is better but the original does have some charm to for nostalgic reasons and DB was a big part of my teens. The pacing from the later episodes from what I've seen are are really much better especially the whole Namek/Freeza Saga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5