• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Valkyria Chronicles -- discussion thread.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I liked it but I know nothing about the game. This actually got me mildly interested in that, though to prevent spoilers I'll wait until afterward to check into that. I don't even know what system it's for or anything. I'm a strategy fan though, but unfortunately I'm not a huge console gamer because I despise closed systems. I'll go against the rule for a few really good games though.

I do think that the beginning plot was a bit over the top with them all being convinced he was a spy despite everything contradicting that. It wouldn't have been hard at all to have him do some things to make him more conspicuous on accident, but instead they did the opposite to play up the picture of how the town guard was very amateur and how afraid everyone was. Alicia must just be incredibly dense though, because I don't see her being that afraid. I thought it was more funny than anything else, more than likely it was intentional.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I think you can excuse it as being a result of paranoia and fear. Even if someone isn't visibly afraid, a sort of subconscious fear may affect their actions and thought process.

Oh, and the game is for the PS3. Here are a few reviews.
S.Canton

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
The review is pretty good, I'm just reading through all of it now. Thanks for the heads up.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
In the Spring Preview Guide thread, I've seen a couple of complaints about not liking this first episode because the character designs deviate too much from the game. Can someone more familiar with the game offer commentary on that, and possibly game screen shots of the characters introduced so far for comparison's sake?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Ausdoerrt wrote:

-Imperial trained soldiers can't shoot, but teenage girls have a great aim;

--How to annihilate a whole army with just one tank and three people without military training.

They mention it once in that episode, but in the beginning of the game they explain that Gallia has universal conscription. Every boy and girl at a certain age get's basic military training

As we'll probably see in the next episode, Welkin and Isara have both received training in how to maintain and operate a tank. Isara even invents new things like smoke bombs and the airplane in the middle of the game.

I bought the game when it came out last year and beat it and I have to say that my impressions of the first episode are pretty good despite it being a little silly.

It's nice that they tried to carry over the game's scratchy color filter, but it still doesn't come off nearly as well here, mainly due to the character designs in the anime being pretty average. That said, the animation is pretty good and Hitoshi Sakimoto's music (it's the same score from the game) sounds great here. He should definitely consider scoring anime shows.

As for the story, they extended things a lot here, but that silliness was gone pretty soon in the game, so I expect the same to happen here. However, I actually hope they do deviate a little bit from the game's storyline, which I thought was really generic.

One thing I hope they do retain though is all the characters. One of the unique things about Valkyria Chronicles as a strategy game is that each unit had their own face, name, voice, and backstory. It showed how diverse a non-volunteer army can be, sort of like Saving Private Ryan but anime style. I hope they bring that into the show.

To all you who own PS3s but don't own the game, please get it now.

GameStop is having a sale this week (or I think this month) where it's half-off, meaning you can get it new now for $30. It's a really great game and a step forward for strategy RPGs, but it didn't sell nearly as well as it should have.

Furthermore, the downloadable extras that came out in Japan last year hit the Playstation Store in the US on April 16th.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
In the Spring Preview Guide thread, I've seen a couple of complaints about not liking this first episode because the character designs deviate too much from the game. Can someone more familiar with the game offer commentary on that, and possibly game screen shots of the characters introduced so far for comparison's sake?

Again (since you made this post while I was typing my previous one), as someone who owns and finished the game, the art style just doesn't come out as well here.

The game's character designs weren't exactly innovative, but the game's graphics engine stood out in conjunction with the designs. Where other games like Gears of War and Killzone are all gray with space nazis and scarred body builders, Valkyria Chronicles looks like a Miyazaki film in game-form. The anime by comparison looks a lot like other anime.

I don't have the time to bring out comparison pictures, but the scratchy filter and color saturation stood out a lot more in the game. The sets and characters kinda looked like moving drawings or watercolor paintings. That kinda makes me wish it had been adapted into a manga instead of an anime. In the anime those effects are there, but they look much more subdued.

That said though, this first episode still has some really nice, clean animation. The game's music also works really well here.

Last edited by RedSwirl on Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I was actually about to do that. We'll see if I get it up before someone else though...

EDIT:

Welkin Game:

Welkin Anime:

Alicia Game:

Alicia Anime:

Isara Game:

Isara Anime:

I left out the other three main characters as they haven't been introduced yet (Even though they are in the OP).

The only difference I can see is the absence of the frosting effect (in characters' hair) in the anime.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm just not seeing why some people are having an issue over this. That's about as a close a look as you're reasonably going to get for a game-anime transition.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:17 am Reply with quote
It really is a non issue, it's like shoujo manga fans of whining about character designs not being as detailed as the manga when it's utterly unrealistic to expect an animated version to have such detail. Faldio's anime character design (bishified) is a an improvement, I don't know why they had to make Isara's eyes twice the size they were in game though...

RedSwirl wrote:
That said, the animation is pretty good and Hitoshi Sakimoto's music (it's the same score from the game) sounds great here. He should definitely consider scoring anime shows.

He does do a few scores for anime, Romeo & Juliet X (or whatever it's called) and the 2 Druaga series.

Quote:
As for the story, they extended things a lot here, but that silliness was gone pretty soon in the game, so I expect the same to happen here. However, I actually hope they do deviate a little bit from the game's storyline, which I thought was really generic.

They will change a few things around, here's a hint Faldio's bishified character design.

Quote:
One thing I hope they do retain though is all the characters. One of the unique things about Valkyria Chronicles as a strategy game is that each unit had their own face, name, voice, and backstory. It showed how diverse a non-volunteer army can be, sort of like Saving Private Ryan but anime style. I hope they bring that into the show.

The director interviews I talked about did mention that main characters will have conversations with recruitables. Also if some of your favs aren't in squad... think of another squad!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:34 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Wow, I'm just not seeing why some people are having an issue over this. That's about as a close a look as you're reasonably going to get for a game-anime transition.

I agree. Sure they made Isara's eye bug-huge, but isn't that expected? They gotta push the anime for the otaku, so this is practically needed.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:

RedSwirl wrote:
That said, the animation is pretty good and Hitoshi Sakimoto's music (it's the same score from the game) sounds great here. He should definitely consider scoring anime shows.

He does do a few scores for anime, Romeo & Juliet X (or whatever it's called) and the 2 Druaga series.

Well crap, I might have to start watching Druaga then. Friend's been nagging me to.

About the art design though, I just think that the issue is that the game's unique color saturation and filters weren't pulled off as well here. That may have something to do with the game being a game and this being a 2D anime, but that's just how it is. The major thing I'm noticing is that the faces in the show all look a lot more angular. It's small but it seems to make a difference to some people.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I imagine many of them are the same people complaining about "filler" in this episode. It seems that many people are simply unable to appreciate adaptations of something they've already read, played or otherwise experienced in some other form. They will find something to complain about, no matter how absurd.

The only noticeable differences are Isara's eyes and, in some scenes. an apparent bust enhancement for Alicia. Otherwise, you are right, they look as close to the game designs as one could expect.
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
The first episode was good, I enjoyed it and the story so far is good. The art style is what you'd expect from new shows and the music is relatively good. The ending was cute Smile
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:16 am Reply with quote
For those of you who are still wondering, the video game was a big hit among critics. People are hyping it up as much as they can right now, especially since the store GameStop is running a big deal on it. It didn't sell so well, however.

Anyway, I'm going to try to slush through the first episode. It looks interesting, though already the animation for Alicia is bothering me.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote
I just picked up the PS3 game last night. (although I didn't know it was 50% off new, so I grabbed a used copy... guess what I'm exchanging after work?? haha) Anyway, really liking it so far... although I have to admit that I am not a strategy fan, so I rather fear that the difficulty might spike uncomfortably before too long. Buuut we'll see how it goes.

All that to say that I'll have to watch this series now. Is there legal streaming anywhere, or no?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 14