• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eden of the East -- discussion thread.

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:31 am Reply with quote
ANN’s Eden of the East Page
Japanese main site
English main site

This is an all-original series created/written/directed by Kenji Kamiyama (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit) so I expect a lot of you guys will be watching. (He’s great at cyber terrorism stuff, so please do!) The show premieres in a couple days—April 9, to be exact—on the distinguished Noitamina block. This means it’s pretty short, at only 11 episodes, but apparently there’s going to be a movie version opening after the TV series completes.

The visuals (from what I’ve seen) look positively amazing, as expected. Character designs are by Honey and Clovers’s Chika Umino, a fact which can’t not be mentioned.

A slightly edited summary wrote:
November 22, 2010. Monday. Ten missiles hit the territory of Japan. However, this unprecedented terrorist act, later to be known as "Careless Monday" apparently did not result in any victims, and was soon forgotten by almost everyone.

Then, 3 months later... Saki Morimi is a young woman currently in the United States on her graduation trip. But just when she is in front of the White House in Washington, D.C., she gets into trouble, and only the unexpected intervention of one of her fellow countrymen saves the day.

However, this man, who introduces himself as Akira Takizawa, is a complete mystery. First of all, he appears to have lost his memory. Secondly, he is stark naked, except for the gun he holds in one hand and mobile phone in the other. A phone that is charged with 8,200,000,000 yen in digital cash.

I wonder what’s up with this dude.

The trailer for anyone who’s missed it. On with the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
draco_nite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote
I'm not getting my hopes up for this series. I'll say that right now.
Labbes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:52 am Reply with quote
I am very much anticipating this show. Until now, I probably watched the trailer around 20 times, and it's the only show this season where I was discussing with other people where the story could go. We thought a kind of Bourne Identity show will be most probable, but we'll see Smile
Anyway, I'm guessing this will be the show I will be following most eagerly this season.
draco_nite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
I am very much anticipating this show. Until now, I probably watched the trailer around 20 times, and it's the only show this season where I was discussing with other people where the story could go. We thought a kind of Bourne Identity show will be most probable, but we'll see Smile
Anyway, I'm guessing this will be the show I will be following most eagerly this season.
I think I read somewhere that this show is kind of like 24, as in, real time. One hour IRL is literally one hour in the show. But don't quote me on this.
Labbes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:26 pm Reply with quote
draco_nite wrote:
I think I read somewhere that this show is kind of like 24, as in, real time. One hour IRL is literally one hour in the show. But don't quote me on this.

From the trailer, which says something like "See their journey of eleven days" I was expecting one episode = one day. Why don't you want to get your hopes up for this show? Disappointed with the last show which had a great trailer?
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Heh, yeah, that was my first time viewing that trailer unfortunately. Anime smile + sweatdrop First thing that came out of my mouth when I saw that was "WOW!" Like, the very instant it came on and everything. I could already tell via the just simply amazing looking animation and the way it was being presented that I was in for a real experience with this series. I guess we'll see how it goes though. It does look like it'll have a pretty interesting premise, that's for sure. And the 11 episode setup is just perfect for this kind of series, so that should be no problem at all. Hopefully though the blurriness will still be there with that guy running around naked (and even if it isn't that's still a bit questionable..... ) or I might have to watch this thing up on campus..... (and considering school's letting out for the year pretty soon..... ).
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm expecting this series to be great. First you got Production I.G. working on it. That's an instant plus in my book. As expected from I.G. the animation looks great. And then you add Kenji Kamiyama who is an amazing director and writer, you got yourself a hit right there. I'm really expecting this series to be great. Most looked forward to series of spring for me.

Also, did anyone ells notice the Eden of the East (movie) that's listed on the ANN encyclopedia? It seems really soon for them to already be working on a movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maryohki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quote
The premise intrigued me, but I can't find subs for it anywhere D=. Hopefully someone will sub it so I can watch it.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Well it premiers the 9th. I'd expect fansubs up by that night. I'd be surprised if no one subed it. Production I.G. series tend to do pretty good over here so there's no reason for there not to be at least one sub. If there are no subs by the 11th I'll be pissed. Everyone trips over themselves to sub the new FMA or K-ON! (not saying they're bad, just not as interesting as this) but no one goes after Eden of the East. It'd be a sad day for anime fandom.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
Also, did anyone ells notice the Eden of the East (movie) that's listed on the ANN encyclopedia? It seems really soon for them to already be working on a movie.

Maryohki wrote:
The premise intrigued me, but I can't find subs for it anywhere D=. Hopefully someone will sub it so I can watch it.

These two quotes make me question whether anyone really read my post. Firstly, I already mentioned the movie, which I assume is some sort of "ending" to the TV series. I also said it wouldn't be premiering until a few days from now (and even gave a specific date), so why on earth would you expect subs already?

Mushi-Man wrote:
If there are no subs by the 11th I'll be pissed.

Give 'em some time. There will definitely be subs, but it's not like you need them the day of.
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:15 pm Reply with quote
The thing that most intriges is the story, I don't know anything else, but if the sotry is awsome and the rest is okay then it will be fine with me.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Forgive me; this is my first time actually following a season, so I figured the release dates would be the same for everything. And I tend to skim posts, due to my minuscule attention span. But I'll definitely keep an eye out for this.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
These two quotes make me question whether anyone really read my post. Firstly, I already mentioned the movie, which I assume is some sort of "ending" to the TV series. I also said it wouldn't be premiering until a few days from now (and even gave a specific date), so why on earth would you expect subs already?

Mushi-Man wrote:
If there are no subs by the 11th I'll be pissed.

Give 'em some time. There will definitely be subs, but it's not like you need them the day of.

My bad, I thought the first paragraph was just introducing the concept of the show. I just schemed it and saw you mentioned the director and the premier date. That's my bad.

I was just doing the 3 days thing because of how quickly the other series are being subed this season. If I can watch K-ON! by the next day (I'm not even joking about that) I want to be able to watch this if a few. I'm anticipating this one more than any other series this season. Sure I don't need to watch it by the 11th, but I want to.

Also, yeah the movie concept seems like it would have to be an ending style thing, seeing how short the series is going to be. I'm cool with that, as long as there is an ending.
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Finally!
A thread for this series *A*
I was starting to worry lol

Anywayz, I'm really looking up to this show as well. The trailer made me LOL but it looks really good. The story is interesting but the characters interests me too ^^

Can't wait <3
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:39 pm Reply with quote
The first episode is out, and can I just take a moment to say how amazing the OP looks? I've always been a fan of Oasis, so that didn't hurt, either.

Really good episode with amazing production values, but I can't believe these kids are in their 20's! Really?

Saki is absolutely adorable, and Akira's entertaining. The mystery aspect has been introduced quite nicely, there wasn't a whole lot dumped on our laps and we know just as much the protagonists do (well, maybe a tiny bit more, such as Akira being spoiler["number 9" and acting more strongly than anticipated, as well as being part of some religious group].) And it was fun hearing the Taxi Driver/Bourne Identity references in there.

And WOW, way to pack a punch with that ending there. It was literally done in the most mundane atmosphere possible, like, "oh, look at the TV screen" with almost zero soundtrack, and then suddenly you realize what is actually happening on the screen and it packs quite a wallop just because of the surprise factor.

Can't wait for more!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 21