• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Guin Saga (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised there's no thread yet for Guin Saga as the first episode aired a couple of days ago, though it's not subbed yet.

I'm usually incredibly wary of pure fantasy productions since many in any given season are steaming piles of crap, but given that these novels supposedly influenced Berserk, has a good reputation, and from the look of the trailer has good production values, I am cautiously optimistic and prepared to be pleasantly surprised.

It has that ring of being genuinely different (A dude with a leopard head? Can he even speak? That would be so cool if he's silent!) I actually like the character designs, despite the fact that the two children look like they're in their thirty-somethings.

On a side note, what the heck is the difference between manga and novels? Are novels legitimately novels without pictures, or what?

Last edited by rainbowcourage on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
David.Seth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:58 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:

It has that ring of being genuinely different (A dude with a leopard head? Can he even speak? That would be so cool if he's silent!) I actually like the character designs, despite the fact that the two children look like they're in their thirty-somethings.

Well, i get the impression from the english dub trailer that he can speak: http://www.guinsaga.net/special/movie3.html (its roughly at the 2 min mark). although it could be an inner monologue kind of thing. Never read the manga novels, so I guess I'll wait and see. At first I saw this and thought wtf about the leapord head, but after watching the trailer a few times, I am very interested in it now.

Last edited by David.Seth on Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Labbes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quote
The first chapter of the first novel is available at Vertical's homepage. You will find answers about the "leopard guy" there Smile
Also, it's originally a series of novels, not a manga.

Last edited by Labbes on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
arachneia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I had no idea they made a series out of this. I read the first three novels several years ago, but since they weren't coming out with new translations, I just gave up on it.

Anyway, I'm fairly sure that there IS a manga.
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow, just watched the first episode and I am more than satisfied. The animation is magnificent and detailed, there is a dialogue, the characters are acceptable, and the action is very, very promising. The ototo is a little bit annoying, but I guess he's meant to be, at this point the least Rolling Eyes Depending on the number of episodes, and if the series has managed to avoid needless repetitions, The Guin Saga could be an excellent fantasy, inspite the rather old tropes.
Tears to Tiara levels one place down Smile

Last edited by Mike On Top on Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I have also now seen the first episode. While I don't think this is necessarily the best new series overall this season, it's the best of its genre (even over the new FMA!) and one of the 2-3 series this season that I'm most likely to follow. It captures the epic feel that I'd expect from the adaptation of a long fantasy novel series and I could quickly become a big fan of Linda.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mikuru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone else watching this think the mouth movements were off?
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Mikuru wrote:
Did anyone else watching this think the mouth movements were off?

It's kinda hard to animate a leopard talking. The other charas were fine.

That said, this is thus far the only (serious) fantasy show this season that's remotely watchable. First impressions:

"The first thing I almost screamed out was "FINALLY! I can haz exposishun!" No really, this is thus far the first show this season I have seen to actually properly introduce main characters and the story. Other than that, we have great graphics, and awesome action scenes (without the excessive cheesiness like in Sengoku Basara), and a great music score.

I can also see where the yaoi may come in, but I really hope the director keeps it sensible and keeps it out of the anime; in fact, I think any excessive romance, gay or straight, could ruin the show.

I also liked the setting - not the usual "anime fantasy world", feels more like it's set in the classic era, although I'm having trouble with picking up the specific refecences... Greek? Roman? something like than, especially seeing the clothing designs...

On the other hand, God only knows (or maybe doesn't) wth is up with the Mongolians. I hope it's just a mistranslation, because otherwise it's pretty ridiculous. They look more like a crossover of ninjas and teutonic knights to me. The similarity with Mongols is only phonetic, and in the fact that they ride horses.

That said, I am definitely hooked for the next episode. Thus far it's the only (serious) fantasy show this season that is any good."
guet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Alright, I'm sold. The animation is good (when the flaming objects hit the castle, it felt like they had a lot of force in the impacts), the music is different, but epic feeling and very fitting, and the action is great. spoiler[I mean come on, Guin hit a guy so hard that the tree he plows through caught fire from the friction, that's just badass.] If it keeps up the serious story and the action I'll have no complaints.
Mikuru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm telling people "Yeah, King from Tekken has his own anime now." Anime hyper
RPGamer246

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
the first episode was pretty cool. Guin is really powerful considering he buried one of those soldiers in just 2 hits with his bare hands. im interested in seeing where the series goes and hopes it stays faithful to the novel, though I've never read it i have a friend who keeps talking about it and it made me anticipate the series. i guess ill be keeping it with quite a few series this season and this is definitely one of them
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote
While I liked the first episode, it's not a season favorite by any stretch. A lot happened, and they did a good job with Guin and introducing how goddamn tortured he is. But things like the ghouls, for instance, weren't very scary.

I did like Linda- a lot. She displayed courage, empathy, and resourcefulness. And I hope Lemus grows a spine frickin' fast because I don't really feel like listening to his whining for 20+ episodes.
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:36 pm Reply with quote
From watching the first episode I wasn't really impressed. It might only be me but I find the first episode was really rushed and didn't five any explanation at all. Not even hints, usually most shows do this to keep you interested but give some explanations. Didn't really enjoy the kid always crying but the girl was more of a heroic type of hero like Guin. She displayed courage and was smart and knew how to handle herself. I'll need to watch more than this episode for sure because I can't really judge it only on the first one. This may be like many shows when the first episode doesn't really impress me but then after a couple I become fond of the story and the characters and I start loving the series. Hopefully this happens because the idea of this show is really cool.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quote
^ I guess you could call that difference of opinion. I rather prefer having the characters and the story introduced slowly, rather than having everything dumped at once. Although, I hear you on the point that they could've done a better job introducing the world. They did a great job introducing the characters though.

And yes, the whini-ness of the kids was my biggest complaint, but hey, at least it's something new - I'm getting sick of universally heroic characters. It's fine as long as it doesn't get too annoying.

If anything, I'm willing to accept a few blunders from this show, because there is not much at all to watch this season.
Mikuru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Ausdoerrt wrote:
^ I guess you could call that difference of opinion. I rather prefer having the characters and the story introduced slowly, rather than having everything dumped at once. Although, I hear you on the point that they could've done a better job introducing the world. They did a great job introducing the characters though.

And yes, the whini-ness of the kids was my biggest complaint, but hey, at least it's something new - I'm getting sick of universally heroic characters. It's fine as long as it doesn't get too annoying.

If anything, I'm willing to accept a few blunders from this show, because there is not much at all to watch this season.

Yeah, I had a feeling that things were introduced more slowly in the novel. Also, why did the parents stay behind or is that some sort of secret? Or am I just dense?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4