• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Guin Saga (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, probably the tower could only handle two people; or maybe they decided to go down with the country they were devoted to.

However, it makes completely no sense that they were just slaughtered - don't you usually take country rulers hostage, or sth?
guet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
I think the invaders were actually after the children. Linda is supposed to have some sort of a tie to prophecy and such, and was probably the intended hostage. The parents were just in the way.
Labbes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote
The show might be taking itself far too seriously. I mean, what was that spoiler[with the white-robed guy saving the children, only to die five seconds later?] I found that to be hilarious, but in hindsight, I don't think it was meant that way.
Does look great and sound even better, though, so I will most likely follow this one. I love fantasy, can't help it Smile
Mikuru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
The show might be taking itself far too seriously. I mean, what was that spoiler[with the white-robed guy saving the children, only to die five seconds later?] I found that to be hilarious, but in hindsight, I don't think it was meant that way.
Does look great and sound even better, though, so I will most likely follow this one. I love fantasy, can't help it Smile

For a second I thought Rossiu from Gurren Lagann was making a cameo...
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote
episode 2

whoa, what the hell just happened? This show took LEAPS and BOUNDS in the right direction.

First of all we got some much-needed side characters to spice things up, most notably the despicable lord, Orro, and Ishavan. I hope all the men in this show continue to be as good-looking as the latter two Wink

The animated action was just beautiful, especially the fight between spoiler[Guin and the gray ape.] This episode found the balance of action and down-time that was missing. Whereas a whole lot was crammed together in the last episode, this episode kept its central focus on the fight and on establishing the place the twins have been brought to, as well as creating appropriate mystery and intrigue around the new characters.

YAY!!
guet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree that the series does seem to be improving after the first episode. I'm really interested to see where the story goes from here.
seaghyn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:28 am Reply with quote
I'm another fantasy fanatic, though the stuff I like is pretty much all Terry Brooks, mainly with the Shannara Series, though I'm rather interested in this series.

However, I'm one who prefers reading about straight relationships over gay ones, so I just had a question for anybody who knows more about the series:

The main characters, namely the leopard guy and annoying crybaby prince-to-be, don't do any gay stuff, do they? either with each other or others? It's a good series, but with my preference, I'll probably end up dropping it if that's how it turns out...I can live with side-characters who come up for a couple chapters being like that, but if it turns out to be the main characters like in Loveless, I'll probably drop it...sorry I'm 'closed minded' Anime smile.

But that aside, it seems like a really compelling story, and I'm already looking for the RAW episode 3 that aired on the 16th to watch, lol, and in 2 days I'll try to see if I can watch episode 4 when it airs.
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:47 am Reply with quote
seaghyn wrote:

The main characters, namely the leopard guy and annoying crybaby prince-to-be, don't do any gay stuff, do they? either with each other or others?

Well, I don't know anything about the novels or the manga, but I haven't noticed anything like that in the anime so far. Judging from the first episode, it was Rinda (or Linda) who seems to be curious and is connecting to Guin, and now we have a blazing Crimson Mercenary falling for her charm (honestly, who wouldn't Smile ). As far as the characterization goes, Guin should be a heroic GAR, fascinating with heart, soul, and power the other characters from both genders, but I don't sense a shipping replacing the focus on the adventure and a treat to go over the board (if this is what you ask).

Pheew, Rinda's attitude certainly made my day!
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

This episode is a huge improvement from the first one. I'm actually really interested in this show now. The battle are epic and very well done. The story is started to be very interesting, and I'm anxious to see spoiler[Guin and the Crimson mercenary fight.]
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:04 pm Reply with quote
seaghyn wrote:

However, I'm one who prefers reading about straight relationships over gay ones, so I just had a question for anybody who knows more about the series:

The main characters, namely the leopard guy and annoying crybaby prince-to-be, don't do any gay stuff, do they? either with each other or others? It's a good series, but with my preference, I'll probably end up dropping it if that's how it turns out...I can live with side-characters who come up for a couple chapters being like that, but if it turns out to be the main characters like in Loveless, I'll probably drop it...sorry I'm 'closed minded'.

When I first read your post, I was like "what?"

But then, lo-and-behold, go to Guin Saga's wikipedia page and you have "Later volumes introduce elements of the yaoi genre."

I guess that just strikes me as a bit strange, since I don't see this series as romance-focused at all as of yet-the only characters with potential seem to be a future Rinda/Ishavan match. The thing about Remus is that if he's going to be king, it means he's going to have to produce an heir, which means...well, I think you get it.

And no, I don't think you're being close-minded at all. I'm straight, so I prefer straight romances. It's not offensive to have preferences. Anyway, I don't think you have much to worry about since I think the focus will stay on adventure/fantasy.

Episode 3 continued the upward trend we've been seeing, particularly that last shot of spoiler[Guin & children falling into the water, and the camera panning up just as Ishavan stands. I'm so excited he's in the next episode! He's quickly becoming my favorite character. Suni's pretty cute. Also, next episode preview seems to include the twins' older brother, from whom I'm getting a decidedly bad guy vibe.]

This episode once again sported gorgeous animation; I can't get over the fluidity of Guin's movements in battle, and general un-sloppiness of the fight scenes.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I've had my eye on Guin Saga for a long time. I am looking forward to a great series. And he's got a leopard head, what's not to love (what, I love leopards, sue me). XP

Yeah, when they mentioned yaoi, I wonder if it's going to be between Remus and Guin, which most of you will be put off by. It almost reminds me of all those jokes between Mao and Eugene from Tales of Rebirth. Anime hyper
seaghyn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna go look for episode 3 soon, but I've got some business to take care of first.

As for the series, I'm pretty sure it'll be fine. After all, when there are over 140-something plus novels, and it says the Later volumes introduce the yaoi genre, I feel relieved for the anime, as it tells me it will probably deal with other characters to be introduced way, way down the road.

It's just that I don't know if I'd stop at the Anime, or want to read the novels as well. (currently studying Japanese) If the later novels focus on that genre as opposed to the heroic fantasy outlook, I'll stick with only the anime. But if they keep it miniscule and not with the main characters who are badd-a$$ cool, (leopard man so far), then I'll try reading them. But if the author goes into a BL craze you know....you should see all the BL novels/comics in bookstores here...are there really that many girls that enjoy reading them? ........O_o (BL=Boys Love, just in case)

Anyway, that aside, I'm really impressed with the anime so far. Episode 4 airs in about another 14 hours, lol. (right now it's 9:30am Japan time +9:00)
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:

This episode once again sported gorgeous animation; I can't get over the fluidity of Guin's movements in battle, and general un-sloppiness of the fight scenes.

Plus, you know, I like the way they pace the events - spoiler[Guin fights-wins-moves on, brief analysis of the situation-grabs the kids-jumps into the river]. It might be simple, but I miss this kind of frugal action.

And we will see the elder brother in the next episode, spoiler[who took the flight with his head down in the first. Seems like another member of the royal family has survived.]
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Mike On Top wrote:

Plus, you know, I like the way they pace the events - spoiler[Guin fights-wins-moves on, brief analysis of the situation-grabs the kids-jumps into the river]. It might be simple, but I miss this kind of frugal action.

That's the only problem I have with these shows, you kind of know the hero or whatever is mostly gonna win or be captured. It's always they same but what makes up for it is the battle which are relatively good in this show, and the animations help.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Analog_Now wrote:
Mike On Top wrote:

Guin fights-wins-moves on, brief analysis of the situation-grabs the kids-jumps into the river

That's the only problem I have with these shows, you kind of know the hero or whatever is mostly gonna win or be captured. It's always they same but what makes up for it is the battle which are relatively good in this show, and the animations help.

Yeah, because the shounen heroes always lose those 10+ episode battles Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4