• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chrome Shelled Regios (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bball_roxy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:26 am Reply with quote
Chrome Shelled Regios

I came across Chrome Shelled Regios on accident and would like to know more about. Releases and such. Unfortunately the only links that I have been able to find are in Japanese and I don't know enough Kanji to translate. Someone willing to help out?

[EDIT: Added the Encyclopedia entry for you. -TK]
farruinn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:32 am Reply with quote
Doesn't appear there are any releases since it's still airing in Japan.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:59 am Reply with quote
farruinn wrote:
Doesn't appear there are any releases since it's still airing in Japan.

He/she could also mean "fansub releases," which isn't allowed to be discussed. Talk about the series in this thread, not where to get it, unless it's legal, of course.
furizaa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:55 am Reply with quote
I was waiting for a thread for this to come across. This was one of the shows this season that didn't initially stand out to me, but I decided to check it out anyway and fell in love with it. Great animation with a somewhat serious tone to the story, yet it has a few well-timed comedic moments. The fighting animation seems pretty good, and the techno beat they played to it was a little interesting too. It looks like the main character, Leyfon, already has somewhat of a harem-type situation being set up for him, but oh well, I can't wait for the next episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:21 am Reply with quote
This one didn't make as much of an impression on me. Although it looked good, it didn't offer anything new; any veteran anime fan has seen set-ups like this many times before, and the action, while enthusiastic, has also been done before.

I'm giving it one more episode to excite me, but barring some novel twist or a significant jump up in storytelling quality, I can't see myself following this one out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I was never expecting much from this title after seeing the trailer a few months ago. The first episode was more or less what I expected.

Everything in the episode felt uninspired, like it was simply going through the motions. It introduced about a dozen characters, tossed out a bunch of terms, showed us some sort of post-apocalyptic world and included an obligatory action scene. It tried really hard (too hard) to be cool, but all of it fell flat and barely managed to keep my interest.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:23 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I was never expecting much from this title after seeing the trailer a few months ago. The first episode was more or less what I expected.

Everything in the episode felt uninspired, like it was simply going through the motions. It introduced about a dozen characters, tossed out a bunch of terms, showed us some sort of post-apocalyptic world and included an obligatory action scene. It tried really hard (too hard) to be cool, but all of it fell flat and barely managed to keep my interest.

This. It mostly felt like a been there, done that type the show with needless techno-babble and school girls.
Sidhardha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Forced myself to watch first episode to the end despite incredeble annoying music and terrible character designs. Absolute waste of time, but still will give a try to episode 2 or with Akikan and Chrome my beliefe in quality of light novels will be shattered entirely.
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Yep. This not a keeper. The animation borders on sub-par, really, and there's nothing unique enough to warrant further interest. If it gets better, let me know... Wink

Plus, this winter season actually has a surprising number of good potentials so far, particularly White Album, Rideback and KuroKami, but I also like Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo for what could be a deceptively fun and creative show. Oh, and Maria+Holic, which wasn't quite as awesome as I had hoped, but that's understandable from expectations set by it being directed by Akiyuki Shinbo of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei fame and many others, and in the end it is unlikely to disappoint.

Too early to judge, but the season looks far better than last year at this time.
Skylark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to defend it. I don't see what was so bad about the music, and the first episode gave me enough intrigue to want to see how it was going to play out. You can't judge an anime purely on the basis of its first episode anyway.

I personally like the main character Leyfon and his somewhat emotionless disposition. I'm interested to know about the girl with brown hair and green eyes too, and the order of events - spoiler[I imagine that the scene where they were fighting the giant regenerating creature was further into the future than the scene where he joins a platoon in high school.]

I felt the characters were interesting (even if some seemed a little 2-dimensional at this point) and that the animation/art was quite good. I'll watch another couple of episodes at the very least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:50 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Too early to judge, but the season looks far better than last year at this time.

Yeah, there were only a few good shows weren't there? I didn't wtch true tears, but Spice and Wolf was there, and most of the rest was forgettable stuff.
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
pparker wrote:

Yeah, there were only a few good shows weren't there? I didn't wtch true tears, but Spice and Wolf was there, and most of the rest was forgettable stuff.

Seems like winter anime is sort of the Fall season of U.S. movie releases like after the summer blockbusters and before the Oscar-wannabee Christmas releases. I'm just happy there are some good shows apparently.

My only picks for maybe re-watching, much less R1, were Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Shigofumi, and Mnemosyne plus Spice and Wolf.
Miranox

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
This is probably a necro post, but starting another thread about this show doesn't seem necessary.

After watching 23 episodes of Chrome Shelled Regios, I feel it's my duty as a shounen fan to recommend this series to others. It seems the people in this thread stopped watching after the first 2 episodes, which is a shame because it's a lot better than most. I advise everyone to give it another chance and watch at least a few more episodes.

I think the main reason I liked this show is because of the characters. The cast is very large and diverse. They all have their own problems and ideals and the producers successfully handled all their stories and weaved them into the main plot which surfaces later on. They also balanced comedy, drama and action very well. There is some fanservice too of course.

In the plot itself, you can't really tell who are the "bad guys" and who are the "good guys". There are a lot of different parties, each with its own agenda, and several sub-plots. The story is quite unpredictable, which makes it interesting. There may also be a second season for this series because a lot of things haven't been explained yet.

Overall, Chrome Shelled Regios is one of the best shounen series I've seen so far. You may like it even if you're not a fan of the genre. The ratings look pretty good already. The show will probably have a rating between 7.9 and 8.4 once more people have seen it.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I've seen all 23 episodes too, but only because there is nothing to do after 1 AM. I wouldn't recommend it since it really is just another action flick like X-men Origins. I find it similar to S-Cry-ed which also is another action flick. Although compared to what has been released lately, yeah it’s ok. Compared to all the action animes that I have seen it’s a waste of time. If Blood + was released when Chrome Shelled Regios came out, I would watch only Blood +. Chrome whatever is like DBZ except with swords. Not to mention the story does not flow smoothly. I feel like the ending is being rushed. Great pictures and DBZ like fighting sequences does not make a good anime. But then again, some people just want to watch two people kill each other for no real reason.
Miranox

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I've seen part of S-cry-ed and it was garbage. Blood+ was fine but it bored me so I stopped watching after episode 5. Also, notice that in my previous post I said I like Chrome Shelled Regios not because of the action, but because of the story and characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2