Forum - View topic
The Stream - A Brewer's Dozen


Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Stark700



Joined: 30 Jan 2012
Posts: 4536
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Mm, no surprise SAO is going downhill a bit recently but hopefully will change once the main storyline picks up.

I'm hoping Total Eclipse will pick up its pace soon again from the pilot episode as recent ones have been a bit dull imo.

Kokoro Connect seems to be strong series of the Season and not surprised. Can't wait to see more especially with the strange number of episodes it has to offer.


Last edited by Stark700 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 1694

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
About Uta Koi: I agree about the comedic interludes at the beginning and end of the episodes, they do not add anything and are annoying not funny.

However I disagree that the story loses something because we are not sticking to the same characters. The stories are moving to a new generation of characters in the 2nd half. Why should we stick to the same characters and limit what we can experience from other characters and poems?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
getchman
He started itHe started it


Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Posts: 5619
Location: Cheshire, CT

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:55 pm Reply with quote
been considering dropping So I can't Play H!, but the bad guy has finally appeared as of ep 6 and he was kind enough to bring the beginning of a plot with him, so now i'll give it a couple more episodes. The new predicament in Kokoro Connect is really great. Who knows, maybe Wanaka's mom dying also greatly affected the Vice principle

Last edited by getchman on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 11243
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:55 pm Reply with quote
You might have given up on So, I Can't Play H! one episode too soon, Bamboo. Episode 7 shakes up the established status quo quite a bit and goes in an unexpected direction.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 6984

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But the more I think about it, the more I realize I don't really care about why her father is setting up this marriage for her, and I don't really care if her coworkers track her down or not.


God, I'm glad I'm not alone in this, but it's been hard to tell since most discussion for the second series has dried up. Get back to brewing beer and having a professor to creepy stuff, please. Forcing in drama just doesn't fit the tone of this show's first season, and it's dragging down this season down to where I'm not too excited to watch the next episode. Perhaps instead of dropping, you should have a new category for "on hold until it's complete". Sometime shows are just easier to get through when you have the rest of it laid out before you.

Quote:
I really wish the series would give us a glimpse of what's going on in the real world.


There's no use complaining here. SAO is clearly about having a fantasy show with HUDs and flashy effects when things die or break. You know, things real fantasy wouldn't normally have because electricity doesn't tend to exist. If you want that, then go for Horizon instead, because technomagic and historical reenactment are awesome.

Quote:
The series is hinting as though they'll rescue Ryosuke out of Dreamland soon, and that's a relief.


Even if they do, there simply isn't enough time left for a true romance to blossom naturally between the living male lead and the female lead. Though since I'm this far in, I'll still see it to its conclusion, maybe it'll have one small surprise in it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanSaotome



Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 4210
Location: Towson, Maryland

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I've always found the complaint about whats happening in the real world in SAO to be a bit silly. The show is about being trapped in a MMO, and the relationships between the characters in it. There is really no reason to care about what is happening in the real world in my opinion, since its pretty irrelevant.

With that said, I am a bit disappointed that Sword Art Online doesn't have a more focused narrative, instead of being more episodic. I heard many comparisons to Index in terms of being a big time action light novel, and Index had a much more tight narrative for its arcs.. but I'm not seeing that here. Its just Kirito meeting random girls and helping them out.


Last edited by RyanSaotome on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
GokuMew2



Joined: 15 Dec 2007
Posts: 1416
Location: Tokyo, Japan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy reading Bamboo's reviews of Uchuu Kyoudai and Shirokuma Cafe every couple weeks and can't help but nod several times at my monitor. I was planning on buying the Shirokuma Cafe manga but put that on hold for the time being. Friends who have bought it tell me that Penguin's role in the manga is not as large as we would come to believe by watching the anime. I guess the manga is a bit different.

FYI, the team in KuroBas is "Seirin," not "Seiren." ^_~ I'm currently borrowing the manga from a co-worker and should be caught up by tomorrow. It's so good! Very engaging and it sucks you right in. It's very hard to put it down, especially in the middle of a match. I can't imagine them not making a second season so I guess the Winter Cup will be animated then.

Kokoro Connect has been getting really interesting, I agree. I still find SAO interesting and enjoy watching it every week. Total Eclipse is not great but I can't stop..... I'm catching up on Jinrui.

Oh, and it's very humid here in Japan right now. Anime hyper


Last edited by GokuMew2 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Fencedude5609



Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 5064

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

With that said, I am a bit disappointed that Sword Art Online doesn't have a more focused narrative, instead of being more episodic. I heard many comparisons to Index in terms of being a big time action light novel, and Index had a much more tight narrative for its arcs.. but I'm not seeing that here. Its just Kirito meeting random girls and helping them out.


We've been farting around in sidestories that were written chronologically later, but take place before the bulk of Volume 1, which covers the entirety of the Aincrad arc. Next episode returns to the main plotline.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
bleachj0j



Joined: 22 Nov 2008
Posts: 445

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see you still watching Hunter x Hunter. I agree the Phantom Troupe are one of the more interesting villain groups I've seen. Just on the fact that they act like family and show actual concern for each other. Bambo it only gets better from here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
getchman
He started itHe started it


Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Posts: 5619
Location: Cheshire, CT

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

With that said, I am a bit disappointed that Sword Art Online doesn't have a more focused narrative, instead of being more episodic. I heard many comparisons to Index in terms of being a big time action light novel, and Index had a much more tight narrative for its arcs.. but I'm not seeing that here. Its just Kirito meeting random girls and helping them out.


We've been farting around in sidestories that were written chronologically later, but take place before the bulk of Volume 1, which covers the entirety of the Aincrad arc. Next episode returns to the main plotline.


looking forward to that with great anticipation
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Rednal



Joined: 07 Jul 2008
Posts: 116

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
A thought on SAO: By NOT showing people mourning in the real world, they're leaving it as ambiguous for the viewers (those who don't already know, anyway) as it is for the players whether or not the deaths are actually happening. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Managing Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 3724
Location: The OC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
You might have given up on So, I Can't Play H! one episode too soon, Bamboo. Episode 7 shakes up the established status quo quite a bit and goes in an unexpected direction.


Aaaaaaaaaalright, I'll check out the next episode. But my expectations are rock bottom right now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Managing Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 3724
Location: The OC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:30 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I've always found the complaint about whats happening in the real world in SAO to be a bit silly. The show is about being trapped in a MMO, and the relationships between the characters in it. There is really no reason to care about what is happening in the real world in my opinion, since its pretty irrelevant.


I disagree with this, simply because I think there's SO much potential for the real-world aspect of the premise to be really, really interesting. I agree that the main action should stay within the MMO, but I think we're really losing out by not seeing how this is affecting people in the real world. It may be good for the players to have ambiguity about whether the death threat is real or not, but as viewers, we should have that elevated threat level so we bond faster to the characters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
skyreno4



Joined: 18 Oct 2011
Posts: 90

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:30 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Key wrote:
You might have given up on So, I Can't Play H! one episode too soon, Bamboo. Episode 7 shakes up the established status quo quite a bit and goes in an unexpected direction.


Aaaaaaaaaalright, I'll check out the next episode. But my expectations are rock bottom right now.


Yeah go for it bamboo watch it one more time ^^, it may get better further on
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fencedude5609



Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 5064

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:38 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:

I disagree with this, simply because I think there's SO much potential for the real-world aspect of the premise to be really, really interesting. I agree that the main action should stay within the MMO, but I think we're really losing out by not seeing how this is affecting people in the real world. It may be good for the players to have ambiguity about whether the death threat is real or not, but as viewers, we should have that elevated threat level so we bond faster to the characters.


I don't actually disagree, but at that point your conflict is with pretty much the basic concept of the series, and changing it would require completely rewriting it.

No problem with that, but its the sort of criticism that should generally be held off till the story is much closer to complete, so you can see how it all ties together, before calling for massive surgery.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 21

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group