• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - A Brewer's Dozen

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:30 am Reply with quote
I'm glad Bamboo's list has Binbougami ga! in the top 5 because it is pretty darn funny and there's a gradual development of the heroine becoming a better person.

I still think Bamboo's approach to understanding Sword Art Online is a bit unrealistic because it is really unlikely the MMO harms people because Zac mentioned it before that there's no way in hell the police/millitary/government would not resolve the issue in less than a week, yet the MMO has lasted possibly a year from the recent episode (I'm guessing).

You either believe the show is not lying about the premise or you believe the show is lying and either the whole thing is just taking place in some form of show or time moves significantly faster in the MMO.

If you are watching SAO to see real life consequences I believe you will be disappointed.
青白

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:19 am Reply with quote
I can't blame Bamboo for disliking SAO considering that it is just following the Monster of the Week format so far. But all of these episodes have their own significance in setting up the plot for the future episodes. Soon, Kirito is going to start a new adventure that will most likely span the rest of the 15 or so episodes.

I also don't understand why Bamboo would be interested in things that is going on in the real world. None of the things Bamboo mentioned seems remotely interesting when compared to what Kirito is doing.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:08 am Reply with quote
Binbogami ga! is the surprise show for me. What started out as a hyper-spastic parody mashup comedy has slowly added in pathos. For awhile the parodies just weighed it down and I didn't care for any of the characters and came real close to dropping it. Now with some fleshing out of Ichiko and the addition of Keita and his family and more recently Ranmaru, the show now can really use it's parodies for maximum effect, (Ep7's disguise sequence had me falling out of my chair). I'm glad this series is in your Top 5, Bamboo. It deserves it in my eyes.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:09 am Reply with quote
From the article:
Quote:
I've talked to several people who have all told me that Polar Bear Cafe is somewhere on their “To Watch” list. The only thing I can say to that is, people need to hurry up and just watch this already. It's only getting better with every new episode, and you're missing out by not watching it now.

The better something is, the more some people want to save it for later so they can watch at their own pace.

I find this is often the case with shows that have a continuing plot, vs. episodes that can effectively stand alone, but I also tend to hold off on shows that are of unknown duration (which seems to be the case here).
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:48 am Reply with quote
A few shows that I'm going to wait for until they're finished, in order to marathon them will have to be Tari Tari, Kokoro Connect, Binbogami Ga!, and Folktales from Japan (from last season).

I'm sort of mixed with Natsuyuki Rendezvous right now. I like how Atsushi is trying to help Rokka move on by stating that she shouldn't use his death as a crutch. But I really wish they hurry up the with 'overshadowing Ryosuke' mini-arc. I like how Rokka admits her feelings for Ryosuke though.

Ep. 7-8 was my least favorite arc in Humanity Has Declined but, hopefully, the last two arcs will be worthwhile.

Kuroko's Basketball and Hunter X Hunter are the funniest shows I'm watching this season. Neither of them had a boring or dull episode and both are constantly getting more interesting each week! Love the part in Ep. 44 spoiler[when Uvogin bites off one of the Shadow Beasts skull & spits the remains at his opponent. Awesome~ ] Also, I'm starting to like Melody/Senritsu more.

I skipped ep. 6 of Utakoi because, personally, I'm getting kinda tired with the anachronisms popping up in the show. Every time I start to get a feel for the time period of the past (the clothing, mannerisms, and political structure), BAM!, here's Fujiwara no Teika riding his dang moped delivering newspapers in Modern Day Japan. Ep. 7 was pretty okay since Sei Shonagon, author of the Pillow Book, was in it.

Both Space Brothers and Polar Bear Cafe are still great, fun shows while I wish Moyashimon Returns wasn't such a disappointing season but I'll watch it to the end.

Thank goodness the main story in Sword Art Online is finally starting on Episode 8. Anime cry
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
That's disappointing, I enjoyed that Penguin's role seemed to be expanding after the Penko incident. Although none of his scenes seem fillerish.

Of course this only affects me if the manga is ever licensed here. I would truthfully rather have the anime because of the voice acting but I thought the manga might have a better shot of coming over here.

Also hoping Kamiyan's role doesn't get smaller because he's fantastic as Penguin.

Yeah, I was surprised to hear how much smaller his role is in the manga. I haven't read it first-hand though so I can't really say just how different it might be.

Everyone is cast perfectly in this series. I love it!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote
I agree with most of your rankings Bamboo.

I am glad you are also enjoying Tari Tari. It began slowly and kind of silly, but has become deeper since. I am also very satisfied with the approach from the creators of Kokoro Connect. I also agree with you that SAO has ton of potential but is not being exploited.

I differ a bit on your assessment of Natsuyuki Rendezvous, but I think I understand why it dropped in you ranking. My only real beef is with Space Brothers. I agree that it is a very solid show, but (without trying to sound insulting) you almost talk like a fangirl about it. It is a good series, but I notice that it tends to slow things down for the sake of it. The capsule thing became boring to me because it was too long.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:51 am Reply with quote
青白 wrote:
I can't blame Bamboo for disliking SAO considering that it is just following the Monster of the Week format so far. But all of these episodes have their own significance in setting up the plot for the future episodes. Soon, Kirito is going to start a new adventure that will most likely span the rest of the 15 or so episodes.

I also don't understand why Bamboo would be interested in things that is going on in the real world. None of the things Bamboo mentioned seems remotely interesting when compared to what Kirito is doing.

I disagree. What Kirito is doing is not very interesting. Sure some of the back stories of the girls are touchy, but it gets old pretty quickly. I much rather see what is going on in the real world.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
青白 wrote:

I disagree. What Kirito is doing is not very interesting. Sure some of the back stories of the girls are touchy, but it gets old pretty quickly. I much rather see what is going on in the real world.

Like others have stated, the novel itself takes place from Kiritos point of view. He doesn't know whats going on in the real world, so why should we? The story is about what is happening in his adventures in the MMO.
青白

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:21 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
青白 wrote:

For example when they start showing what people in the real world are doing to fix the current problem, they are definitely going to talk about stuffs like science and technology and whatnot, but I didn't sign up to watch this show to listen to science lectures.

Also, the episodes so far has being very meaningful in terms of plot and character development. I will admit that the latest episode on the blacksmith girl wasn't that interesting, but all the other episodes has developed the setting and character properly, like the introduction of PKing and how Asuna and Kirito met and their relationship.

To be honest I don't get why anyone would be interested in seeing stuffs in the real world when it was strongly suggested at the beginning that it is impossible to break out of the game by external means and everything is up to the players' will power and spirit to break the game, which means all the actions will happen in the virtual world. Blows my mind.
vinamara

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Wow I'm so surprised by this week's Stream. Totally unexpected to see Tari Tari in the third spot. It is my most favorite show of this season and I'm super glad that Bamboo is enjoying it as well.

I was kinda taken aback by her dropping Moyashimon Returns but she is completely right about every aspect of the show. It is probably best to marathon it.

I have no problems with SAO's storytelling though even though each week might be saving the 'damsel in distress' format because I actually like the girls and the romantic element it adds to the series. I still think its too early to judge this show based on what its shown us so far but that's just me.

And I actually thought that ep7-8 were by far the strongest episodes of Jintai since it touches on the philosophy of identity and its perception. It was pretty analytical stuff that raised some interesting questions.

I totally agree about NR moving a little sluggishly in terms of progress. I wasn't able to put my finger on it but Bamboo pretty much voices my unshaped thoughts pretty incisively.
Spleen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote
SAO

RyanSaotome wrote:

Like others have stated, the novel itself takes place from Kiritos point of view. He doesn't know whats going on in the real world, so why should we? The story is about what is happening in his adventures in the MMO.

If it's taking place from Kirito's POV, does that mean he has one of those personality disorders that causes him to black out and have no memory of long periods of time, during which he outwardly continues to function normally? Because POV-wise, he blacks out whenever he goes to the front lines, and 'wakes up' whenever he leaves the front lines to impress some random girl. At least in the past 6 episodes or so.

I've been enjoying Sword Art Online. I think the concept is great. And at first I had no problem with the huge jumps in timing - my view was that if they want to hurry the story along, fine. But as Bamboo says, at the moment it seems it's nothing to do with pacing, just a way of turning the series into a recurring, formulaic teenage male fantasy. Boy meets girl, girl needs something, boy does something cool and manly to help girl out, girl is impressed, and then boy immediately leaves. Thus we escape before boy has to, say, ask if girl would like to hang out, which is the bit where boys stop feeling manly and start feeling self-conscious. Instead we go back to step 1 with a different girl so we can all feel cool and confident and manly forever in an endless loop. Next week: more of the same!

I'm hoping that the point of all this is to introduce us to the supporting cast, and once we've met everyone we'll go back to some sort of actual story arc, where all these characters will feature and the point of these extended introductions will become apparent. It's arguably a very clumsy way of doing that, but I suppose it's better than anchoring the story in the present and having continual flashbacks. So I'm sticking with it for now, but won't if Kirito doesn't get out of this loop soon.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Spleen wrote:
If it's taking place from Kirito's POV, does that mean he has one of those personality disorders that causes him to black out and have no memory of long periods of time, during which he outwardly continues to function normally? Because POV-wise, he blacks out whenever he goes to the front lines, and 'wakes up' whenever he leaves the front lines to impress some random girl. At least in the past 6 episodes or so.

SIDESTORIES

Jesus. How many freaking times has this been stated?

I have never seen a show subjected to as much back-seat series compositioning as SAO has. Its really completely ridiculous.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Spleen wrote:
SAO

RyanSaotome wrote:

Because obviously, if something is being told from a particular character's point of view, it has to show their every waking moment no matter how little relevance it has to anything. Oh wait. No they don't.

Being told from his perspective means we only see things that he sees. It does not mean the story cannot skip large chunks of time when nothing of relevance is happening. Every single POV story ever is going to do this to some degree.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I know that it shouldn't really matter, but it is so nice to see that Bamboo has come around to the joys of Tari Tari! I was sucked into this story right from the start, as is evidenced by my earlier posts, particularly in the preview guide and Bamboo's first The Stream column that featured the show.

I particularly love the pacing of the story. The two episode per arc pace constantly keeps the story fresh and avoids the common slice-of-life complaint that the nothing happens and the show drags. The understated way that the character's issues are foreshadowed in the episodes preceding the character's arc is also wonderfully done. For instance, spoiler[during episodes 5 and 6, Wakana comes to pick up the picture from Sawa's mother, and then Sawa, wanting to cheer her friend up, invites her to try horseback riding. During the course of the scene, Wakana asks about the monk that drove by on a scooter, and Sawa tells her that he is her father, and tells her about her disagreement with her him about her future plans. All just natural conversation with no huge amount of effort put into it, but it firmly plants the seeds for the next arc. Excellent story telling!]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 21