• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 19-Year-Old Charged for Threatening AKB48 Member

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote
wow. talk about obsession. :O
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:21 am Reply with quote
What is it with mentally unstable people latching onto the idols? Poor girl is probably all shook up from this mess.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:39 am Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
Poor girl is probably all shook up from this mess.

This made me laugh. Death threats are still not part of the tutorial in becoming an idol? In Japan, that and stalking should be a given.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:44 am Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
What is it with mentally unstable people latching onto the idols? Poor girl is probably all shook up from this mess.

These idols are groomed from the ground up to appeal to these nutjobs.
puck5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:19 am Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:

Luckily the man was arrested before he could do anything.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:24 am Reply with quote
Well, at least they're both minors, ne!

And since we learn everything from Idolmaster, idols are thoroughly trained for expected situations like this. Laughing
-MgZ_

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:12 am Reply with quote
Lolol insanse shit
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:14 am Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:

AKB0048 had an entire episode about this.
niokun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:42 am Reply with quote
I don't know what's crazier... the man, for thinking the way he did, the family for actually believing he could kill her daughter, or the police who arrested him because of a couple lines of digital text.

That member (that wasn't even mentioned...yeah, quite obvious why) could just reply to one or two or his comments and then leave him at that, instead of arresting him.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:03 am Reply with quote
niokun wrote:
I don't know what's crazier... or the police who arrested him because of a couple lines of digital text.

They were right in arresting him. I've long thought that the internet in general is way too lawless. Death threats should be taken seriously no matter where they are. Even if it's just a joke, arresting the poster has the side of effect dropping the over the top asshole nature of people on the internet, which is a positive.

Plus, you never know what someone is going to do. Nobody will be willing to forgive and forget when police ignore a threat and it turns out the person was serious. All you'll hear is, "so the person said they'd kill this woman and you didn't think that was something you should look into?" and someone on the police force will be fired and possibly prosecuted for gross negligence/incompetence.
Banden

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:31 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
They were right in arresting him. I've long thought that the internet in general is way too lawless. Death threats should be taken seriously no matter where they are. Even if it's just a joke, arresting the poster has the side of effect dropping the over the top asshole nature of people on the internet, which is a positive.

Plus, you never know what someone is going to do. Nobody will be willing to forgive and forget when police ignore a threat and it turns out the person was serious. All you'll hear is, "so the person said they'd kill this woman and you didn't think that was something you should look into?" and someone on the police force will be fired and possibly prosecuted for gross negligence/incompetence.

Yes, god forbid that would happen. As long as police officers can keep collecting their checks, who cares about the 2.5 million people rotting in prison for imperiling society with "serious threats"?

Somebody has to wear those orange jumpsuits, and murderers and rapists and child molesters are so ridiculously hard to catch... Much more productive to lower the bar and turn our attentions to thought crimes instead, saving the department countless time and resources. I place unlimited trust in the state's judgement in matters of these kinds and see no compelling reason to hold anyone within the system responsible for their actions.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:45 am Reply with quote
Banden wrote:
Yes, god forbid that would happen. As long as police officers can keep collecting their checks, who cares about the 2.5 million people rotting in prison for imperiling society with "serious threats"?

Somebody has to wear those orange jumpsuits, and murderers and rapists and child molesters are so ridiculously hard to catch... Much more productive to lower the bar and turn our attentions to thought crimes instead, saving the department countless time and resources. I place unlimited trust in the state's judgement in matters of these kinds and see no compelling reason to hold anyone within the system responsible for their actions.

If 2.5 million people couldn't get it through their heads that threatening to murder people wasn't an awesome and ok thing to do then they deserve to be in the prison system.

Additionally, you are aware that there is more than one police officer in Japan right? Arresting someone who is threatening murder doesn't mean that all other crime goes unpunished and without prosecution.
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:48 am Reply with quote
Do keep in mind that the "Akihabara killer" from a few years ago preceded his murders with text posts on 2ch. So not every Internet threat is necessarily one with no actual power or intent behind it.
Banden

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:39 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
If 2.5 million people couldn't get it through their heads that threatening to murder people wasn't an awesome and ok thing to do then they deserve to be in the prison system.

This is the same logic that brought America the war on drugs, and where has that landed this country? Our prisons are so overcrowded with petty drug offenders that states like California have been forced to start releasing inmates because they can't build new prisons fast enough. Make threatening text messages imprisonable crimes and we're going to need to start turning US states into penal colonies. Yours wouldn't happen to be in the market would it?

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Additionally, you are aware that there is more than one police officer in Japan right? Arresting someone who is threatening murder doesn't mean that all other crime goes unpunished and without prosecution.

In this economy law enforcement agencies are understaffed and overworked with current caseload. Any personnel reassigned to crack down on offensive text messages and Internet postings is categorically not solving other crimes. Law enforcement does have finite resources, just like everyone else, and to the best of my knowledge all criminal cases in Japan have not been recently solved at once or anything.

It's not that the police should turn a blind eye to threatening text messages. But there is a line to walk, and what your saying is way over the line in chilling effect territory. ("Even if it's just a joke, arresting the poster has the side of effect...")

Myaow wrote:
Do keep in mind that the "Akihabara killer" from a few years ago preceded his murders with text posts on 2ch. So not every Internet threat is necessarily one with no actual power or intent behind it.

And as part of the judicial process, I have no problem with that. That is a cornerstone of criminal justice in a democratic society. What's not okay is not caring whether a threatening text message is a joke or credible threat because Internet people are rude and ought to fear for their freedom.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:

AKB0048 had an entire episode about this.

So one way to get that unstable person to cooperate is to have the AKB48 member save him from danger! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4