• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Out of Print Individual Viz Volumes

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MisterEd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:22 am Reply with quote
I've noticed recently that there are quite a few Viz series with just a couple OOP volumes, like Dr. Slump (#9) or Shakugan no Shana (#3). I realize that publication schedules vary, and volumes don't go OOP in order, but it still bugs me. Some of these OOP volumes are going for absurd prices on Ebay and Amazon (although the prices on Amazon Market Place are actually pretty palatable).

In an effort to avoid collecting these series, or additionally to see if the price is reasonable on some, what are some individual series with individual OOP volumes? I know a couple:

Yu Yu Hakusho (#9)
Reborn! (# 2, 5, 8, 10)
School Rumble (#13)
Eyeshield 21 (#2, 3)
Saint Seiya (#1, 3, 9, 10, 16)
Hunter x Hunter (#9, 14, 18)
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:16 am Reply with quote
Basara 19 and 20 are legendarily OOP. I think Please Save My Earth 13 is as well. So are Sensual Phrase 8 and 17.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote
Battle angel alita last order volumes 5,6 and 7 are pretty tough customers.

some volumes of excel saga are in danger too i hear. Its basically stuff thats been out for a while. The popular stuff like bleach and one piece are in no danger at all, in fact i often see those selling for as little as a penny on amazon just to shift em. I had a bit of trouble getting eyesheild 21 volume 3 about a year ago but i managed to get that and the volumes of battle angel i mentioned (though i did wind up paying more for ex library copies)

edit: school rumble is a del rey book, everything of theirs is OOP (Anime cry i want mushishi....and parasite.....and pumpkin scissors....and the last 3 volumes of suzuka)
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Volume 7 of Saikano is also OOP. I would really love to have it, since 1-6 were easy enough to find when I started picking up the series but 7 was no where ... I eventually had to read a scanlation to find out what happened -_-
Ensof

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Red River vols 9, 15 and 16 are all OOP. 9 used to be the toughest to find, but 16 seems to have become the scarcest since I snagged a copy last year.

RAmmsoldat wrote:
edit: school rumble is a del rey book, everything of theirs is OOP (Anime cry i want mushishi....and parasite.....and pumpkin scissors....and the last 3 volumes of suzuka)

I became resigned to the fact that we'd never see the last of Suzuka once it became knowledge that none of Del Rey's struggling titles were to be picked up by Kodansha. Just one more omnibus, as they did with vols 13-15, would have got it across the line, but no dice.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Let's just say "most of Monster". The series went out of print like a Jenga tower, 3 went, then suddenly 5 then 6, then 8 and 9, and at this point the tower has fallen and getting it all would be very tough.

One easy way to see how much something goes for is to look at the encyclopedia entry on here, sure if you hunt you can find things for cheaper, but generally you can see which are harder to find by what has the highest price tag next to it.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Except for volume one, the first ten Eyeshield 21 volumes are OOP. All four volumes of Legendz are OOP (VM doesn't even really consider it to be one of their series anymore...), as do I believe to be the same for Pretty Face. The first six volumes of the original Viz publication of Pokémon Adventures are OOP, as do I believe The Best of Pokémon Adventures: Red and Yellow to be as well. Bobobo-Bobo-Bobo is going out too, if it hasn't already. I believe Akira Toriyama's Cowa! is OOP too. Much, if not all, of Beet the Vandel Buster has to be out as well. And though they're not necessarily manga, but nonetheless, One Piece Color Walk 1, The Art of FullMetal Alchemist 1, and Yu-Gi-Oh! the Movie Ani-Manga.

Disclaimer: Some of these are theoretical, where I didn't actually look into whether they were OOP in fact, but just based on circumstances like how well the series fared, production inhibitions, etc. do I have great doubt they're still in print.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
zawa: I'm still hoping Viz is considering re-releasing Monster in a 3-in-1 format, now that 20CB got an Eisner, and is actually selling for them.
Big_Fudge

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:15 am Reply with quote
Reborn! is getting pretty hard to find, but I just checked and there's some decent prices on the OOP volumes, something like $15. I already have the series, shame it was cancelled, so it doesn't really concern me.

I'm looking for a good price to Saint Seiya volume 3, but jeez, the lowest price on Amazon is $25. I'm trying to cut down my spending, but that one is tempting. Still, I'm going to have to wait on that one.

I wish Viz would just have a print on demand service.
Ensof

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:06 am Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:

I was just browsing on Amazon and came across Battle Angel Alita: Last Order Omnibus 1, to be released March 2013. It's 700 pages in length, so I'm guessing that Kodansha is going to release the first fifteen volumes of BAA:LO in five three-volume omnibuses. Good news for those who missed it the first time around.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:22 am Reply with quote
Thats a great find and good on kodansha for doing that.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:42 am Reply with quote
Ensof wrote:
RAmmsoldat wrote:

I was just browsing on Amazon and came across Battle Angel Alita: Last Order Omnibus 1, to be released March 2013. It's 700 pages in length, so I'm guessing that Kodansha is going to release the first fifteen volumes of BAA:LO in five three-volume omnibuses. Good news for those who missed it the first time around.

sweet jesus!

monster is a pain though. german edition long out of print as well in its entirety and the the publisher hasn't answered yet if they'd ever consider rereleasing it.
if there was an english rerelease though i could at least pick it up via amazon uk or something....
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:43 am Reply with quote
gotta get round to learning a second language. it would be handy.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:14 am Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
gotta get round to learning a second language. it would be handy.

definitely comes in handy at a lot of times. Smile
although i have to say that my third language has yet to prove its usefulness in terms of manga-reading, since danish is not really a language much translated into(continuing the tradition of there being no danish dubs, only subs, which in turn really helps you learn and refine english), except for prose.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:56 am Reply with quote
It says alot to me about my country that alot of the folk I've met from the other countries of the EU speak at least 2 languages yet alot of folk here only speak the 1

(and from looking around over the years european languages isnt a huge priority of the education system)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3