• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-04-10]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:15 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
I'm confused about the guy who said that Now and Then, Here and There has an "extreme happy ending." There seemed to be a few typos in the reply, but I think Josh was getting at that he likes a show where it seems like everything and everyone is horrible at first, but the ending shows that's not actually the case, and things end happily.

But even so, Now and Then, Here and There doesn't fit, in my mind. I can't imagine how anyone can consider that ending more than bittersweet at best. Though I suppose considering what led up to it, the ending being anything other than utterly sad and depressing in all aspects is a bit of a relief.

Everybody deserved what they got in the end. Laughing

The "Mother" character spoiler[who was murdered] got what she deserved? Mad
The girl spoiler[who was raped] got what she deserved? Evil or Very Mad
I respectfully disagree with you; I don't think that either one of them got what they deserved.

That's fine. Everybody made their choices in the end and fine with it. Smile
rstyeast73

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:45 pm Reply with quote
There are a few I can remember off the top of my head. Here they are:

1--Lalah Sune's death in episode 39 of Mobile Suit Gundam in which she tells Amuro that people are slowly becoming Newtypes.

2--Shinji telling himself he musn't run away in the first episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion before he gets into the Eva Unit-01.

3--A scene in episode 10 of the first season of Star Blazers when Wildstar was in the transmission room sitting silently and Nova went in to check on him. She asked him if the transmitter is working and then Wildstar tells her he has no one to talk to back on Earth.

4--Roy Focker's death in Macross/Robotech
[/list]
Metal Superman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:07 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Metal Superman wrote:
Please let it be Zac that does Answerman next week!

It probably will be Zac next week, but nonetheless I'm thinking that it will be Justin Sevakis. Want to have a friendly bet?

Sure. Why not? Winner gets to say “I told YOU so!”
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:21 am Reply with quote
Metal Superman wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Metal Superman wrote:

It probably will be Zac next week, but nonetheless I'm thinking that it will be Justin Sevakis. Want to have a friendly bet?

Wait, can I get in on this bet?
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:28 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Metal Superman wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Metal Superman wrote:

Wait, can I get in on this bet?

That's no fair. Either you know who it is or it is you.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:47 am Reply with quote
Metal Superman wrote:

Alright then, we're on.

And Zac, sorry, but the rules of fairness prohibits insider trading. Them's the breaks.
yokai1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:12 am Reply with quote
yay my first Post! well i can recite almost the whole spirited away movie or pompoko. those were some on the first anime i watched (the first anime i watched was movies) . i cant remeber how many times i watched spirited away or pompoko. 10 i think maybe more... i love those movies!! Very Happy Very Happy
yokai1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:14 am Reply with quote
yay my first Post! well i can recite almost the whole spirited away movie or pompoko. those were some on the first anime i watched (the first anime i watched was movies) . i cant remeber how many times i watched spirited away or pompoko. 10 i think maybe more... i love those movies!! Very Happy Very Happy
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Strangely enough, I can't think of many anime scenes that I can quote word-for-word, even though I could do so for some of my favorite books and movies; I know any number of notable individual lines, but not whole epic speeches or back-and-forth character interplays. I think it's because, comparatively, I've seen most of my favorite anime series significantly fewer times than said books and movies, so I haven't had as much of an opportunity to absorb their dialogue; it also helps that at least the movies tend to be significantly shorter than most anime series, which lends well to rewatching. I do have significant chunks of FLCL's dialogue memorized, particularly during the wonderfully ridiculous manga scenes, probably because I've seen the whole OVA at least a dozen times through. The original Fullmetal Alchemist anime series also provided me with a great verbatim quote, mainly because I must have heard it well over two hundred times during my watching and rewatching:

"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something up in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's First Law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth..."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4