• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Zet Dance

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:22 am Reply with quote
Trust me when I say that Psychic Squad (Zettai Karen Children) gets much, MUCH better in the second half. Hyobu Kyosuke is one of the best antagonists I've seen in a while. I'm sure people will love him once they get into the meat of the series. I do believe that this release only covers the first 13 episodes, so you've yet to see the prophesy they've been talking about. I'm sure you'll like it.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:03 am Reply with quote
well give saw whole shiki series give last few eps really sorta want question it mental & sanity part?

really went like overkill to point like really bit uncalled for few some did not deserve it really jack bauer's torture gone too far.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:04 am Reply with quote
I have been wanting to see Psychic Squad for quite some time,mostly because of its character designs who remind of how cartoons used to be drawn.I was worried that it might be suited too much for kids,but if you say that humor is weird then it seems like something I will enjoy.
mad mac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Trust me when I say that Psychic Squad (Zettai Karen Children) gets much, MUCH better in the second half. Hyobu Kyosuke is one of the best antagonists I've seen in a while. I'm sure people will love him once they get into the meat of the series. I do believe that this release only covers the first 13 episodes, so you've yet to see the prophesy they've been talking about. I'm sure you'll like it.

Yeah. The first 13 episodes of Zettai Karen Children very nearly put me off watching the rest, but for whatever reason it has all the worst (Barring maybe episode 20) episodes up first. Not even because it's following the manga, because the first 20 episodes or so seem to have been placed in almost random order and they pushed the original manga story back to episode 26 for some reason. It may be cliche but it gets a lot better. Even Kaoru starts to become tolerable after awhile.

Oh, and if it feels strangely retro, that's because the mangaka is the same guy who did Ghost Sweeper back in the nineties.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Shiki is such a weird show. It awkwardly tosses together a Bram Stoker/Western European version of vampires with a half-hearted version of Japanese living corpse monsters, or “Shiki” folklore stories.

And a full-hearted would be what? Dumb zombies?

Quote:
It's painfully obvious from episode three that the small village is being attacked by vampires, but it takes the characters many more episodes to come to grips with reality.

You, the viewer, who gets to see more than a private detective would be able to. Half of the series is also enough to realize that the vampires act like the organized crime (with obvious advantages), making it hard for the word to spread.

Last edited by egoist on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
thenix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:30 am Reply with quote
Personally don't think I'm gonna watch any of these.

I am glad to hear someone say they also hate when series decide they can break vampire rules because they are being "clever". It's not really clever. Clever is writing within the rules. like "Oh they can't go outside because their skin is sparkly not because they will die." is breaking the rules to make it easier to write, not a clever play on the lore.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:43 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Quote:
Shiki is such a weird show. It awkwardly tosses together a Bram Stoker/Western European version of vampires with a half-hearted version of Japanese living corpse monsters, or “Shiki” folklore stories.

And a full-hearted would be what? Dumb zombies?

I guess an anime version of Mr. Vampire with those hopping jiangshi? Which would be awesome.

Or that episode of Mighty Max, where it turns out vampires actually turn into mosquitos, not bats? That wasn't asian, but it was also awesome.

Last edited by Shenl742 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:04 am Reply with quote
You might like Dance in the Vampire Bund then Shen. Cause in that series the vampires can turn into pretty much whatever creature I think. I only saw the first episode or two, but I remember that a giant spider creature and lizard creatures were both referred to as vampires.

As for me, I like the stories that stick to the more traditional sense of vampires. However, I won't claim that by the end of the first half that I wasn't getting a bit antsy for some catalyst to spark a more encompassing conflict. Luckily, I didn't have to wait too long for that and I ended up greatly enjoying Shiki by the time it finished.

Also, Fuyumi Ono wrote Shiki around the same time that she wrote the latter books of Twelve Kindoms, the late 90's to early 2000's. I think she started up another series for the same reason that most authors start up other series, she was pretty tired of writing about Yoko and the others and wanted to write something different for a bit.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote
Fuyumi Ono also wrote the original novels for Ghost Hunt, so I'd say she has a more than a passing interest in the occult, or at least in that style of fantasy novel. Actually, looking at her bibliography, I think she's written more Ghost Hunt and Shiki style works than Twelve Kingdoms...I guess that's a tribute to her writing that she makes Twelve Kingdoms so remarkable when it's outside her usual genre.

On another note, I'm with you on Zetman. Actually, I think you wouldn't want to be female in almost any Katsura story, with the possible exception of Shadow Lady... if only because his focus would be on your hindquarters and nether regions 95% of the time. (He's not alone in this, but seriously, the guy seems to love drawing butts and thighs.)
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:23 am Reply with quote
We, the viewers, who can see the Vampires, and hear their stories, can afford to sympathize with the Vampires, since we are not their food. The human residents of the village have no such ability as we viewers. Also, the human residents of the village who have to suffer the loss of family members to the Vampires, are entitled to deal with the Vampires as they see fit. This isn't some human war, but rather a fight for survival, which the Vampires started.

Personally, I think Shiki pulled it off in the second season. I enjoyed the series, even with its western Vampire motif.

I agree with what was said about Zetman, sadly.

Looks like I am going to have to see Zettai Karen Children.
batou37

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
I actually liked the aspect of Shiki in that they took so long to realize (or possibly admit to themselves) what was really happening. It seemed to me to be a much more realistic (of course I hesitate to use that word but it fits I guess) representation of the progression of occurrences if something like this happened in actual life. I looked at it more as a sort of character study of a town's inhabitants. The first half of which dealt with them realizing and coming to terms with something that was so foreign and unbelievable that they had difficulty accepting it, and the second half spoiler[centered around how far people will go because of fear and being backed into a corner especially when a mob mentality takes hold, and how they will sacrifice their morals and partially even their humanity in order to survive]
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
I started out sympathizing with the villagers in Shiki and ended up rooting for the vampires. Definitely an unique series, though it wasn't exactly a pleasant watch...

Totally agree about Zetman, especially as far as the treatment of women is concerned. There aren't enough eyeroll-smileys to express my feelings.
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote
Really? Shiki was written by Fuyumi Ono? Boy, if I'd known that I probably would have snapped this up first chance... I loved The Twelve Kingdoms and Ghost Hunt, both of which were adapted off of her light novel works. As it is, knowing this little tidbit means I probably *will* have to check Shiki out at some point, but after reading this review I might not put it very high on my list. I like vampires, but I tire of seeing the same ol' shtick time after time. My motto about vampires is: there might be some set "rules" concerning them, but there's a lot of leeway to have fun with creative license, too. And it's that fun that I look for.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote
Just finished watching The Twelve Kingdoms and it hit right home. Awesome show and it's easy to tell that the source material is strong. However, Shiki doesn't really interest me right now. I may watch it when I have some time to kill.

As for Zetman: Weird, yes, that's an appropriate description. I kind of enjoyed it for it's Kawajiri-ness, but hey, I am a sucker for old school male bravado and unintentional hilariousness. And Zetman is full of that! It's one of those "so serious it's totally ridiculous"-titles, much along the lines of "so bad it's good". Wink
Brand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Just repeating the sentiment that the second half of Shiki is much better then the first. I actually really enjoyed the show but it does suffer a bit from the transition from novel to tv show. The structure while fine for a novel isn't really something you see in television a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11