• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Final Fantasy XIII Site Confirms 'New Direction' for Lightning

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaymie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:41 am Reply with quote
These announcement announcements really need to stop.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:43 am Reply with quote
I called you all here today to make this announcement.

Thank you.
StrawHat313

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:44 am Reply with quote
How about some news on Versus 13 huh Square Enix. I'm mildly more interested in that then a new story in Lightning's saga. Btw how about some news on Final Fantasy 14 too. Better yet news on Kingdom Hearts 3. Just anything but more Lightning.
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:03 am Reply with quote
StrawHat313 wrote:
How about some news on Versus 13 huh Square Enix. I'm mildly more interested in that then a new story in Lightning's saga. Btw how about some news on Final Fantasy 14 too. Better yet news on Kingdom Hearts 3. Just anything but more Lightning.

Are we taking votes? Cause mine goes to Kingdom Hearts 3 as well. Well, that or the potential FF15 clip they showed at E3 this year. Those graphics looked awesome.
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote
Well we have known from previous announcement announcements that the actual announcement won't be until Sept 1. Atleast this time we got a picture of some ominous clouds.

I understand that different teams are working on different games so they will get the info to us when they can. I personally would like more info on the FFX HD. Although Versus XIII and KH3 are right up there (Type-0 in North America anyone?)

That being said the XIII saga has quickly become my second favorite Final Fantasy (Behind FFX) so I can't wait for the info of Lightning story and a possible FFXIII-3! Maybe it will use the luminous engine they showed off with those amazing graphics. Or was that so powerful it is next gen only?
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:43 am Reply with quote
Ghstmtrx wrote:
Well we have known from previous announcement announcements that the actual announcement won't be until Sept 1. Atleast this time we got a picture of some ominous clouds.

I understand that different teams are working on different games so they will get the info to us when they can. I personally would like more info on the FFX HD. Although Versus XIII and KH3 are right up there (Type-0 in North America anyone?)

That being said the XIII saga has quickly become my second favorite Final Fantasy (Behind FFX) so I can't wait for the info of Lightning story and a possible FFXIII-3! Maybe it will use the luminous engine they showed off with those amazing graphics. Or was that so powerful it is next gen only?

You, ser, are my kindred spirit. Not only would I too love to have more news on the FFX HD and Type-0 in North America, the XIII saga is also my second favorite Final Fantasy, with FFX taking the lead spot. It's so rare for me to encounter someone with the same feelings about either game (and I just don't understand why!). Now that I've finally finished XIII-2, despite The Universe making a valid attempt at never letting me do so, I'm on the edge of my seat hoping that this'll be an XIII-3 announcement. In the meantime I've got some DLCs to finish playing. ::scurries off::
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote
I can safely say, no one cares, just make XV already.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
I care, I like Lightning, she's probably one of the best female characters in the game industry because they do a good job of making her a strong character with a feminine side to her.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Alot of folks on the other gaming sites I frequent seem pissed at this as it's likely a XIII-3 announcement coming and they want Versus.

But really when are people gonna understand that SE is a massive company with many different teams and that the one working on the XIII games is not the same one working on Versus? Nomura is a bit of a perfectionist and will likely not release Versus until he deems it perfect. Hence the long development time.

I personally won't mind seeing XIII-3 however I really want them to move away from the style of story telling they had with XIII-2. I liked XIII alot and it's characters were great and although still out there the story felt a bit more grounded then past FF's and I liked that but then they threw all of that out of window in XIII-2. I loved the open ended nature of XIII-2 alot but the story suffered ALOT because of it. I would like to see them pull away from that a bit and get back to the more grounded type we got in the original XIII.

Also I want to see a Final Fantasy XII HD remaster. I love X and all but it was a early PS2 game and won't gain much from a HD upscale unless they are going back and doing a crap load of texture work on it. XII on the other hand still looks gorgeous now and getting the 1080P treatment with a bit of a touch up would look stunning. But hey XII is my favorite FF so perhaps I'm a little one sided on the whole thing.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote
First: Why do people still beg for a Kingdom Hearts 3? Dream drop distance just got release. While Versus XIII has been in production since about 2006.

But on a related note: I'm wondering how they're going to do more on Lightnings story. Lightnings DLC kinda left not a lot open. Well Square will find a way. Just in this new game they better not have over $50 of DLC.... But the end of XIII-2 confirmed there will defeantly be more with the whole spoiler["to be continued"] at the end.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I can safely say, no one cares

9+ million people worldwide disagree with you.

Anyway, interested to hear the announcement. Been really enjoying the XIII saga as well. I just hope the next one is a bit harder; I felt XIII-2's really great monster raising system was a bit wasted because the game was so easy you never really had to go beyond the surface of it, which is a shame because it was actually a fairly deep system.
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Aynslesa wrote:
You, ser, are my kindred spirit. Not only would I too love to have more news on the FFX HD and Type-0 in North America, the XIII saga is also my second favorite Final Fantasy, with FFX taking the lead spot. It's so rare for me to encounter someone with the same feelings about either game (and I just don't understand why!). Now that I've finally finished XIII-2, despite The Universe making a valid attempt at never letting me do so, I'm on the edge of my seat hoping that this'll be an XIII-3 announcement. In the meantime I've got some DLCs to finish playing. ::scurries off::

Hey, I hear ya, I love those games so much and some people just dont get it. Glad I am not the only one. Now go, and enjoy your DLC!
Reibooi wrote:
Also I want to see a Final Fantasy XII HD remaster. I love X and all but it was a early PS2 game and won't gain much from a HD upscale unless they are going back and doing a crap load of texture work on it. XII on the other hand still looks gorgeous now and getting the 1080P treatment with a bit of a touch up would look stunning. But hey XII is my favorite FF so perhaps I'm a little one sided on the whole thing.
I somewhat want to believe they are going back for X and doing more than just a HD Upscale. It seems to be taking a long time for any news to come out, no screenshots or anything. Seems like there is more to it than a simple HD port.

Also I am not against XII HD. Lets just get X first Very Happy
Kurohei wrote:
First: Why do people still beg for a Kingdom Hearts 3? Dream drop distance just got release. While Versus XIII has been in production since about 2006.

I think people (KH Fans) probably want a console KH. It is probably that simple. I dont have a DS so I have not been able to play a new KH since Birth by Sleep.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
XIII-3 could be cool. I didn't like XIII-2 as much as XIII due to it not having characters and a party as well as the loopy leveling system that hid stat increases and skills from you, but they added in some cool mechanics that I'd love to see in a third game that was like the best of both world. Plus, I really love the combat system and I think that the FF way is to make a combat engine for one game and then never use it again for any other game ever under any circumstances.

However, if they want to go in a totally new direction, that could be cool. While playing these games, your characters are always backflipping and doing crazy acrobatic combat that's even more insane than Bayonetta. I totally wouldn't mind them making an action game where you had direct control of it. Plus, there's a studio in Japan that's totally adept at making great combat engines and don't have any issue with being hired to make (hopefully) badass action games from other people's IP...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
So they plan another game? Okay... be interesting to see what they have in store for 'Lightning'. Just hope they will do something good and not just milk it to sell another game. Oh wait this is Square we're talking about here.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Why does the worst bleeping Numbered Final Fantasy get a third game? The first one was awful, as was the second one. And now another one. There comes a point in time when you need to walk away.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3