• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ (TV)

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom

Another new show for the spring season. Phantom is directed by Moshimo Koichi, who is probably most famous for directing the "girls with guns" trilogy of Noir, Madlax, and El Cazador de la Bruja.

The first two episodes are out, and I'm impressed so far. The story focus is on two characters Ein and Zwei who are brainwashed assassins for an orginization called Inferno based in America. The first episode is a bit of an introduction to the world, where Ein tests Zwei to see if he has the skills and natural talent to become an assassin. The second episode explains a bit more of what Inferno's goals are, and also begins Zwei's training under Ein.

The pacing is a bit on the slow side, but I think it works. Much like Noir, it seems that the interactions between the two leads will provide much of the story's direction. The animation is solid, with some very unique camera angles, and a great soundtrack.

Last edited by guet on Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Seems the series is based on a action-drama visual novel series and there was an OAV adaptation of Phantom made five years ago. From what I seen of the next episode preview, spoiler[looks like Zwei will undergo a test from what he learned of training and some activity with a female character whose bare body is being caressed.] Still, I am looking forward to the developments that occur with this series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I do have the benefit or handicap, depending on your perspective, of having played the VN this anime adaptation is based on, so it's clear to me that the core story's better than Noir's at least, but I'm not really what you'd call a Bee-Train fan...still, even the first episode was far better than the OVA and the second one was pretty good as well.

There are a number of minor stylistic things that don't sit too well with me but in terms of characterization the result is fairly satisfying.
spooksmagee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:40 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first two episodes, I thought Noir was a decent series and so far this show looks superior. I have high hopes.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:23 am Reply with quote
It seems like a solid watch for now, I just hope it gets fast paced at some point because I doubt either of the leads can be that deep. Also, the ending is terrible due to Ali Project. I really really do hate Ali Project and their one song.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:42 am Reply with quote
I like it a lot from the first couple episodes. It seems much more interesting than the disappointing, El Cazador, but even that was watchable. Anyway, I like the two main characters and they seem to have a good vibe going, hopefully we'll see some romance.

On the other hand a Bee Train work with a male lead seems almost wrong somehow. Laughing
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:55 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It seems like a solid watch for now, I just hope it gets fast paced at some point because I doubt either of the leads can be that deep. Also, the ending is terrible due to Ali Project. I really really do hate Ali Project and their one song.

Eh? I'd say both leads could have a plenty of depth, especially Zwei. Turning into an average action anime is the worst this show could do.

Also, you really do deserve to burn for your comment about ALI PROJECT Razz It's not a discussion for this thread though.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:59 am Reply with quote
I can't really bring up any spoilers, but what really makes the story are the characters, in my opinion, so as long as the production staff keeps them relatively true to the source things should turn out fine.

I do believe there is some depth to be found, especially in and around Zwei, since his interactions and links with the rest of the cast are actually fairly diverse and interesting. For instance, the latest episode began to develop him and Ein just as Claudia has entered the picture.

Kruszer wrote:

On the other hand a Bee Train work with a male lead seems almost wrong somehow. Laughing

Hey, that's precisely one of the specific reasons I became very interested in the game (Phantom of Inferno). There's a nice contrast with those other series. Wink
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:26 am Reply with quote
^ Yeah, I'd go for the game, but I don't think I will, since there's no translation. After a long and painful playthrough of Seinarukana, I don't think I'll be up for another game in Japanese in a looong time - it's just too damn tedious to look up every other kanji I don't know.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:41 am Reply with quote
Ausdoerrt wrote:
^ Yeah, I'd go for the game, but I don't think I will, since there's no translation. After a long and painful playthrough of Seinarukana, I don't think I'll be up for another game in Japanese in a looong time - it's just too damn tedious to look up every other kanji I don't know.

Well, to clear this up, the game was officially released in the U.S. by the now out of business Hirameki International way back in 2003 and I've actually owned a copy for a couple of years. Their translation has lots of typos but it's otherwise quite serviceable.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:46 am Reply with quote
does this training stuff end soon? so far this show is pretty good, but the next one looks to be a training episode also. i'm hoping this doesn't take up a lot of the story.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:05 am Reply with quote
There's certainly plenty of stuff that happens after the training though I'm not entirely sure how they'll pace it as Bee-Train is known for taking things slowly, which doesn't really bother me when something interesting is going on and we're still barely a couple of episodes into the show anyways. It depends on how much the next episode covers, really, but that's all I'll say.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:41 am Reply with quote
Oh, BTW, did anyone feel like Zwei was going to have a Rocky moment somewhere during the episode, and go scream on the top of a mountain somewhere? Laughing
rg4619

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:05 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I just hope it gets fast paced at some point because I doubt either of the leads can be that deep.

The game was a relatively slow-paced drama punctuated by moments of carnage and fast action.

Overemphasizing the action thriller element would destroy what made the original so great (IMO, Episode 2 successfully captured the style and atmosphere of the original, whereas Episode 1 was quite different), although I do feel that changes are inevitable.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
rg4619 wrote:

Overemphasizing the action thriller element would destroy what made the original so great (IMO, Episode 2 successfully captured the style and atmosphere of the original, whereas Episode 1 was quite different), although I do feel that changes are inevitable.

It's true that changes are inevitable and the pace will have to be sped up at some points, but the important thing is balance...I think the essential elements of the story's arcs can still be respected. Some corners have to be cut to make it all fit into 24-26 episodes or there might even be an original ending, but it's not impossible to accomplish that.

The game's narration spent a lot of time describing the surrounding environment, the different characters, their thoughts and the equipment they use, while the anime should be better off showing, not telling, most of that and making some transitions more direct.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 21