• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragonball Evolution Opens at #8 with US$4.8 Million

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melonbread

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:58 am Reply with quote
I wonder what the production cost was, nearly £30,000,000 gross revenue seems like a decent amount for a lower budget film.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:26 am Reply with quote
I suspect the earlier reports of the budget being in the low nine digits were more accurate, and this $45 million number that's been reported these past couple of weeks is a very lowball estimate Fox reported when they already knew it would bomb hard at the North American box office to make the production seem like less of a fiasco than it actually is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:04 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
I disagree. For otaku to spend money on this for the simple right to complain is an ignorant remark, and that's really, really stupid.

For your true guide to otaku spending please watch Genshiken.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:27 pm Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:
I wonder what the production cost was, nearly £30,000,000 gross revenue seems like a decent amount for a lower budget film.

1.00 GBP = 1.48475 USD

It hasn't made £30,000,000 (not even close), as that would be USD44,542,500.

Sorry, I'm just anal about currency.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Jih2 wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks there is such a negative reaction to quality directors being used for comic book, video game, etc adaptations?

Yes. Your alone.

The issue is that your having people that are completely unexperienced with the source material and expect them to pull rainbows outta their rear ends. And even if you have people that are experienced with the material beforehand, they think they have a personal right to remake said property into their own personal fanfiction smorgasbord (i'm looking at you Wachoski Brothers, Bay, and Anderson)

How simple is it to stick to the basics of the franchise, and then adapt from there. Keep some core elements that will appeal to fans, THEN write beyond that?
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Bleargh, double posting.
Jih2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Jih2 wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks there is such a negative reaction to quality directors being used for comic book, video game, etc adaptations?

Yes. Your alone.

The issue is that your having people that are completely unexperienced with the source material and expect them to pull rainbows outta their rear ends. And even if you have people that are experienced with the material beforehand, they think they have a personal right to remake said property into their own personal fanfiction smorgasbord (i'm looking at you Wachoski Brothers, Bay, and Anderson)

How simple is it to stick to the basics of the franchise, and then adapt from there. Keep some core elements that will appeal to fans, THEN write beyond that?

I guess it depends on whether or not we're going for the Academy's recognition on this one.

I like how Bay is looked at as someone who knows what they're doing in your post.

I've already stated my thoughts, I personally don't care about how something gets changed for its adaptation because adapting it to film is just that. I don't think a straight adaptation of any anime series will result in any awards or academic nods.

I'm interested in what you mean by "writing beyond" the core elements.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Yueh:
Quote:
But it's not really a bad movie.
Compared to other martial arts films with all the training, etc.

Name me one MA movie that's crappier than DB: E.

Tenchi: More like $150 million.

Hatake:
Quote:
What happened to the anime fans that actually tried things before they judged them,

They did try the film before they judged it. They just did so illegally. Rolling Eyes

Quote:

Or the fact that if they call DB:E a bad movie, then I doubt they've really seen a TRULY bad movie. In their life. Period.

Sorry, but Howard the Duck is currently available on Hulu.

Jih: If they made a Teletubbies movie like they're doing with those Chipmunk and Garfield movies, then I'd have to agree with the naysayers.

J-Syxx:
Quote:
They may apply this to "anime movies don't sell" but then again it could also be a certain brand of anime films that are very crappily made don't sell. May be bad for anime in the short term but hollywood has to learn this lesson unfortunatley.

I hope they learned, because they still don't seem to get that idea with video game movies, if they keep giving Uwe Boll money. Laughing

tyger:
Quote:
It may not be No#1 but it still managed to make it in the top 10.

It only made the top 10 because there weren't that many movies going up against it, not because it actually did well for itself.

kei:
Quote:
ANYONE WHO THINKS CRICICALLY OF THIS MOVIE IS JUST LIKE A STAR WARS FAN WHO DENIES THERE ARE SIX MOVIES AND SAYS THAT EPISODES 4, 5, AND 6 ARE THE ONLY ONES.

Given that George had to change the threequels to comply with the prequels, I'd imagine that the fans are right.

Lagann: Aqua Teen had a smaller budget, though.

Cliff: More like $150 million to produce.

yojimbo: I think a better analogy would be calling Wong the male equivalent of Lucy Liu when it comes to representing Asian pride and culture. Razz

Dust: It's dead. Wolverine's going to carve it up badly before it even comes close to making $60 million.

Petrified: They're still making game movies. They're just hoping that they can take on bigger concepts like Bioshock.

Dante: You have a point. FOX decided to ruin SF a second time, so anything is possible.

Primus: Shueisha and Toriyama own all DB rights, first and foremost. Toei just has the right to handle the anime adaptation, and probably has to get permission, just to use the Z trademark however it wants.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Forbidden Kingdom had actors as the stars who weren't just popular with children.

My daughter's liked Jet Li & Jackie Chan since she was around 8 or 10.

GATSU wrote:

Someone hasn't seen Narnia or that "Where the Wild Things Are" trailer.... Rolling Eyes

It's been so long since I read Narnia. However, with DOB's of 1927-Peter, 1928-Susan, 1930-Edmund & 1932-Lucy, they are about 14-9 when they first enter Narnia in 1941. Don't know what you know about babysitting, but 12 is an accepted age for a child to begin sitting other children, thus Peter & Susan are quite old enough. All I remember about Where the Wild Things Are is reading it to my daughter when she was a child & it is JUST a night adventure. The child has a parent (mother isn't it?) who is present in his life.
You are talking Goku with no parental unit in place. It's more Mowgli abandoned in the jungle than Little Rascals running around unsupervised. There are adults present in those worlds that can step in if things fo south.

GATSU wrote:

Probably collecting their own Pokemon.

Think that's the story on the dad, but mom's home being a ditz.

GATSU wrote:

If little Superman translates to live-action ok, then so can little Goku.

Superboy had parental units in place (remember the Kents?) & was playing boy scout/hero. Superboy wasn't sticking Nyobo up ninja asses or turning into a giant ape & stepping on the Kents.

GATSU wrote:

More like 14-15.

It's sort of difficult pinning down the age. It was at the Tournament when Goku tells her his age & he either says he's 12 at that time, or he was 12 when they met originally--I'm not going to hunt down the ep now, but it's probably around ep 19. The Tourni Saga goes thru about ep 28, then we get the Red Ribbon Army batch going thru 67 which I could never figure if it covers 2 or 3 yrs chronologically. Then there's Baba & Tenshinhan which goes up to ep 101 & then King Piccalo & Piccalo Jr takes it to 153. While it's only 3 yrs for the anime being aired, I'm pretty sure there were some timeline jumps, particularly between King Piccalo & Piccalo Jr. I do remember seeing an estimate that Goku was around 27 when Raditz showed up so I think you're a bit shy on that estimate of 14-15.

GATSU wrote:

Yes, but he recognizes why DB is popular with its fanbase, which is why he hated the movie, since it did not do bring any of those elements into the final product.

I have no use for Eva, so I doubt I'd ever give it a decent review because I'm looking to pick it apart. If he's never cared to watch the show he really can't appreciate the good things about it. That he called it a terrible movie reflects this because it ISN'T a terrible movie. God knows I've seen my share of really, really horrid straight-to-video horror movies I only watched because there was nothing else to rent back in the '80's or '90's. (some really bad sci-fi stuff also).
The plot probably flowed a bit more evenly than Forbidden Kingdom's in places & I remember the only thing keeping the Lethal Weapon franchise going by the end was the actors because the movies themselves got real thin plotwise as soon as the 2nd flick. Not to mention I have no use whatsoever for the Friday the 13th series & even Freddy was ridden into the ground by the end.
Anyone calling Dragonball: Evolution a terrible movie hasn't seen enough movies. There's a whole bunch of really horrid '50's stuff that's way worse.

GATSU wrote:

That's kind of ironic for you to say that, since that's a primary source of inspiration for DB.

Really?
Because the chronology I've always heard is Toriyama was doing another gag manga like Dr Slump, but it was doing horridly (remember the Pilaf story? Pretty girl collecting Dragonballs to find a boyfriend? Meets cute little monkeyboy?). It was allegedly his editor's suggestion to make it more like Fist of the North Star to rescue it from being cancelled.
The primary source of inspiration for DB is Journey to the West.
I know something about Dragonball, dude.

GATSU wrote:

Quote:
I love Kung Fu Hustle, but at least we didn't get that version of martial arts here (campy)

Yeah, who needs good production values? Razz

I said campy.
Kung Fu Hustle was fun, yes, but it was also tongue-in-cheek. As much as fans hate the changes to the movie, I somehow believe keeping every single element of DB, but making as a spoof, it would have pissed off the fans even more. Spinal Tap worked because it was a fake band. Had it been made about a REAL band, the fans would have been upset.

Quote:
I disagree. For otaku to spend money on this for the simple right to complain is an ignorant remark, and that's really, really stupid.

How can you rate something you haven't seen?
You can decide for yourself whether you want to see it or not, but I can't count the times I've been wrong about movies. I didn't really expect that much out of "I Love You, Man", but I enjoyed it more than the 4 movies I saw prior to it (Yes man, Watchmen, Madagascar 2 & Medea Goes to Jail.) Really Yes Man should have been better because it had more of a A-list cast, but I just found it ok, not bad.
So no, the fans can choose not to go based on trailers, but they really can't say it sucks without seeing it.

The concept does sort of fly in the face of the downloading argument that fans have to download the entire series so they can make a totally informed decision on whether they like it ("What if it goes bad in the last half!!!!!")
Using the fansubber/downloader excuse, there's no leg to stand on without seeing the entire movie.

Quote:
Especially given, it seems, the previews were the best part about it
Really?
I thought the best part was where Roshi said he was in a happy place until Gohan kicked him out.
loka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Jih2 wrote:
I don't think a straight adaptation of any anime series will result in any awards or academic nods.

watch some better anime? no, stuff like FMA and Bleach will never win any awards. they have writing aimed at a very young audience.
ssjwill4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

GATSU wrote:

More like 14-15.

It's sort of difficult pinning down the age. It was at the Tournament when Goku tells her his age & he either says he's 12 at that time, or he was 12 when they met originally--I'm not going to hunt down the ep now, but it's probably around ep 19. The Tourni Saga goes thru about ep 28, then we get the Red Ribbon Army batch going thru 67 which I could never figure if it covers 2 or 3 yrs chronologically. Then there's Baba & Tenshinhan which goes up to ep 101 & then King Piccalo & Piccalo Jr takes it to 153. While it's only 3 yrs for the anime being aired, I'm pretty sure there were some timeline jumps, particularly between King Piccalo & Piccalo Jr. I do remember seeing an estimate that Goku was around 27 when Raditz showed up so I think you're a bit shy on that estimate of 14-15.

Goku said he was 14 when he first met Bulma but found out from training with Kame Sennin that 12 came after 11, not 14 which he states to be his correct age at the 21st Tenkaichi Budoukai. At the 22nd he is 15, and at the 23rd with Piccolo he is 18 (there are 3 year gaps between the DB tournaments). 5 years later is where Raditz shows up and Goku is 23 at the time.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
Has anyone else notice how Anime Fans are becoming more and more like angry Star Wars fans; not happy with anything Star Wars past the 70's?

I fear for the Ghostbusters 3 movie.

I like how the people who love this movie try to make it look like the ones who don't are stark crazy nerdy fanboys Rolling Eyes

I've seen this movie (though an alternative means) out of morbid curiosity and... WOW.. Joon Park's dialogue has to be heard to believe it. The dude's career is not off to a good start..

I really don't see what you guys are going nuts over. It's just a terrible film. Period.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQuPWwrbMVE

Just because you like a movie doesn't make it good.

Last edited by rockman nes on Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's fared slightly better in the weekend "actuals", according to Box Office Mojo: $4,756,488.

That's $106,488 over the initial weekend estimate, not that it changes much of anything. (It's still at #8 and an unmitigated box office disaster.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheVok

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:15 pm Reply with quote
And here's a thought.

Anime doesn't need American live-action adaptations.

If they exist, fine. If they don't, fine.

These movies will neither help nor hinder the anime industry.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Jih2 wrote:
I guess it depends on whether or not we're going for the Academy's recognition on this one.

Why aim high; guarantee Razzie for sure.

Quote:
I like how Bay is looked at as someone who knows what they're doing in your post.

*looks back at post*

Funny, I mocked him. Lemme clarify: Oh hail the genius director who can make a film that is completely irrelevant to it's title and cast a pretty-boy actor that can't act and a whore that looks like she is smart, but isn't.

Quote:
I'm interested in what you mean by "writing beyond" the core elements.

Taking DB as an example, you keep the "history" of the Dragonballs intact (Yes, we can spare letting Mr. Popo sit out for this), keep every single character as they are (i.e. Piccolo is Green, Bulma has a full head of Blue Hair and is looking for the Dragonballs, Master Roshi is some old Asian Pervert hermit with a turtle shell on his back, and Goku is like 12, not 24 or whatever age that Canuck was and can turn into a giant pissed-off monkey when it's the full moon), and make the story a quest for the Dragonballs.

How they go about getting them is up to the writers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10