• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Spring Cleaning

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The show is also weirdly racist in the way all the Melanesians wear grass skirts and use songs to catch fish

Oh, those wacky Japanese!
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:15 am Reply with quote
I'm confused, is Nerima Daikon Brothers Shelf Worthy or not?
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:37 am Reply with quote
It's always good to see a generally positive review of Kyo Kara Maoh. Cool
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:55 am Reply with quote
Rocket Girls was one of those titles that took me by surprise in a good way. Yes, suspension of disbelief it important in this title (you would never see NASA sending up teenage girls just to save a few pounds for a given space mission Wink ) but once you just roll with it, it is a fun story.

Bamboo, I don't know if you took the time to watch it or not, but there is a short animated extra on the dvd that was supposed to be something like test or promo footage. In any case, the girls are more realistic and older looking in it, in the realm of "what if's" it could have made for a really interesting-looking show, as opposed to the moe style of the girls that we ended up getting.

But it's a good show in my book, I'd recommend it as well.
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:29 am Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
I'm confused, is Nerima Daikon Brothers Shelf Worthy or not?

I have come to find that there is little gray area with that series; most of my friends either loved it or hated it with the firey passion of a thousand suns. On the one hand its extremely repetitive and comes nowhere near to emulating the humor of Excel Saga. On the other hand, it's just goofy fun and if you look past its repetitiveness you may actually enjoy it. So to answer your question: maybe. It really all depends on your tastes and whether you're able to let go of the fact that there's nothing of substance here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:31 am Reply with quote
I'm so checking out Dokuro-chan now. Very Happy
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:06 am Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
Rocket Girls was one of those titles that took me by surprise in a good way. Yes, suspension of disbelief it important in this title (you would never see NASA sending up teenage girls just to save a few pounds for a given space mission Wink ) but once you just roll with it, it is a fun story.

RG is a very under-rated show. I like the fun sense of wonder in it--very much like old-school juvenile sci-fi; it's a nice change of pace from the typical dystopian sci-fi that's extremely common these days. DOKURO's "Sensitive Salaryman" is one of my favorite fake shows/movies--I thought the "Sensitive Salaryman" movie clips and sausage commercial were the funniest parts of the show.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:12 am Reply with quote
I'd always been curious about Daikon Brothers. I noticed that the director on this little title is the man behind the madness of 'Excel Saga' and 'Puni Puni'. Then add the designs for 'Mito' and wa-la! I heard it was downright funny but I wondered if it would be something I'd care to watch. I'd need to see a few episodes just to see if it worth picking up.

As for Rocket Girls another I was curious about. It has some really nice girls, and it definitely seems like a niche title. But not so much that it considered garbage or else they would have never published it. I'm actually surprised it made it stateside. I'll have to give this one a look too.

As for 'Dokoro-chan'. It might be niche but calling it that would get you killed. Everyone knows this series by now. And if you like insane comedies like that then it's definitely shelf worthy. Smile Hell, it's on my shelf.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:44 am Reply with quote
I didn't particularly care for Dokuro-chan. When it did make me laugh, I laughed a lot. But on the whole, it was a struggle for me to get through (despite the fact that it's so short!). I'd probably never watch it again. And I love insane comedies.

As a fan of Kyo Kara Maoh, I have to say that the ending was one of the most satisfying endings I'd seen in a long time and I smiled for days afterwards. Possibly because I'm a Wolfram fangirl.
Panda Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:51 am Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
I'm so checking out Dokuro-chan now. Very Happy

You won't be disappointed. Like Bamboo said, the randomness is extremely funny. Every time I go to the beach and need something to watch that night, I choose this.
corinthian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
I found Nerima Daikon Brothers to be very enjoyable, as it brought together my enjoyment of musicals and anime. The songs do get a bit repetitive, but I was definitely humming a few for a day or two after watching. And I had to laugh at the Michael Jackson-ish character. "You're an adult and a girl! I can't possibly give you what you want!"
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:29 am Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
As a fan of Kyo Kara Maoh, I have to say that the ending was one of the most satisfying endings I'd seen in a long time and I smiled for days afterwards. Possibly because I'm a Wolfram fangirl.

Nothin' wrong with that. Wink
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed both Nerima and Dokuro-Chan.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I just wanted to say about Nerima Daikon Brothers that it has one of the funniest dubs scripts I've ever heard. ADV really went all out when it had to re-write the Japanese puns and other culture jokes that always accompany a Nabeshin anime. Granted, the songs do get repeated, but it's mainly just the beat that is repeated, cause the lyrics change nearly everytime the "Money" song, "Rental" song, or one of Mako's themes is sung.

I watched all of it in the span of two days after I saw the first episode at Ikkicon and bought the singles and artbox from RightStuf's bargain bin, and I fully enjoyed it. If you don't like crude humor though, then it's probably not for you though. But if the thought of the talking butt-plug makes ya laugh, then definitely give it a shot.

Best anime musical ever!
physicist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Dong writes:
Quote:
Why the author chose the Solomon Islands, of all places, to set a show about aeronautics is a little puzzling, ...

Referring to the CIA factbook, the Solomon Islands are located about 1000 km south of the equator. It is advantageous to launch geostationary satellites from here as they are moving already at more than 1650 km/hr before leaving the ground, due to the Earth's rotation. Since kinetic energy is proportional to the square of velocity the advantage becomes important in terms of weight and fuel.

Disadvantages include the difficulty in bringing supplies, equipment and personnel to such a remote site. More importantly, the Solomon Islands have recently suffered political instability and ethnic violence. On the other hand, the real estate is probably cheap.

To contrast this, the Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral is located at more than 28 degrees N, or more than 3000 km north of the equator. Consequently, a rocket is moving about 1500 km/hr -- about 17% less kinetic energy than at the Solomon Islands. However, NASA couldn't get much closer to the equator and still be within the United States, an important consideration during the cold war of the 50's. Boeing's solution is to launch satellites from a ship situated at to the equator in international waters, avoiding such political problems.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3