• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio Production I.G Cancels Project Due to Nonpayment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
LaFreccia wrote:
I love the logic that says the number 3 best selling title is failing. Hyouka is a runaway success

By normal "excessively lucky to break 5k sales" figures, then yes, Hyouka is a runaway success. Not so much when you compare it to KyoAni's history of breaking 20k rather consistently.
dan9999

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
LaFreccia wrote:
I love the logic that says the number 3 best selling title is failing. Hyouka is a runaway success, and for good reason. It has some of the most thoughtful mysteries seen in anime in quite some time.

As to Kuroko, well it is a pretty typical sports shounen title. If you want a great BD title, the artwork in Hyiuka puts it and just about everything else to shame. Personally I believe the fujoshi theory to explain relative sales. As far as shows in the sports-shounen genre go, it isn't particularly great.

And finally on the notorious P.I.G.'s financial problem. I hope they get it worked out one way or another. They are a quality company and don't deserved to be treated like that.

Lol, love the kind of butt-hurt comeback with Kuroko not being great Laughing

Sure, no doubt, its not the greatest sports title ever, for that we would need to go back to legends like Ashita no Joe in the 70s or Captain Tsubasa or Touch in the 80s, but doubt much of the contemporary fans of this site know them.

Its still an awesome solid sports anime. But agree with you NOT THAT awesome. In fact, for sports, I love more Ginga he kick off, or prefer the kind of Cross Game.

Kuroko is still one of the best series of the year, and its so refreshing that for once this is reflected in sales instead of loli, fanserive and moe nominating disc sales.

As for Hyouka, sorry but its not a success, not the kind Kyaoni definitely had in mind, it may sell 10k which would be a tremendous success for any other studio/series, but for Kyoani that as mentioned by others, 10k is not that great, and in case of Hyouka with the high production values, who knows if mere 10k even suffice.

Its obvious that with Hyouka Kyoani tried HARD to match the super hit status of other series and its NOT happening. Now consider Nichijou that was a failure...so its a fact Kyoani is failing to come up with a new real huge commercial success.

Love how you fail to really backup your supposed Hoyouka success, and instead you brought up the novels Laughing This is the usual last hope we always use when we love a series thats not doing that good and we only hope that it may increase novel/manga sales or when its increasing them we say "well at least its increasing/boosting manga/novels sales"...

As for the mysteries being great and so awesome, for me they are plain boring. As for buying a title for mere animation, well thats the typical kyoani --hardcore--- fan/lover... not me sorry, great animation or artwork alone will never equal a great series or justify buying dics just for eye-candy stuff.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

Kuroko is still one of the best series of the year, and its so refreshing that for once this is reflected in sales instead of loli, fanserive and moe nominating disc sales.

Huh? As has been mentioned, fujoshi typically latch onto one show a season or so. Just look at UtaPri. A fujoshi show selling well isn't at all uncommon.

dan9999 wrote:

Its obvious that with Hyouka Kyoani tried HARD to match the super hit status of other series and its NOT happening.

Not really. They just wanted to make a high quality adaptation of a novel series as Kadokawa likely asked them to do. If they wanted to match the 'super hit status' of other series then they would have done another 4koma cute-girls-doing-cute-things show.

dan9999 wrote:

Love how you fail to really backup your supposed Hoyouka success, and instead you brought up the novels Laughing This is the usual last hope we always use when we love a series thats not doing that good and we only hope that it may increase novel/manga sales or when its increasing them we say "well at least its increasing/boosting manga/novels sales"...

Well, that's very important because that's what Kadokawa wants. If the novel sales had not increased then Kadokawa would be pretty upset since they're the ones fronting the majority of the money for the project.
dan9999

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
dan9999 wrote:

Huh? As has been mentioned, fujoshi typically latch onto one show a season or so. Just look at UtaPri. A fujoshi show selling well isn't at all uncommon.

dan9999 wrote:

Its obvious that with Hyouka Kyoani tried HARD to match the super hit status of other series and its NOT happening.

Not really. They just wanted to make a high quality adaptation of a novel series as Kadokawa likely asked them to do. If they wanted to match the 'super hit status' of other series then they would have done another 4koma cute-girls-doing-cute-things show.

dan9999 wrote:

Well, that's very important because that's what Kadokawa wants. If the novel sales had not increased then Kadokawa would be pretty upset since they're the ones fronting the majority of the money for the project.

It is not really common when Kuroko is not a real fujoshi title, are you even watching it? If you do you we are watching and perceiving totally different things.

The surprise factor I am referring to is that the fujoshi are buying this series despite no content in the anime itself to satisfy them, and a shounen sports one to boot, the point is NOT if the fujoshi buy a lot or no bishounen/yaoi titles, we know they do, and in this asdpect your example works.

Comparing it to Uta Prince-sama directly is null, that one is a real 1000% fujoshi title, I am not saying fujoshi buying is uncommon, again, I know they do, what is not common is a shounen sports title with null antics for fujoshi (like male/male fanservice/innuendos) selling this high.

But indeed surely the character and chara designs alone must be the the main elements alluring the fujoshi, no one is denying fujoshi surely buying this series and contributing to such high sales...again, for a pure sports shounen anime.

So its still refreshing to see a different series in the top ranks instead of the usual ones.

So kadokawa is really happy then yes?

So what part of this nullifies that the anime itself is not selling what was surely expected of it? DO you think the production values (very high) + having kyoani do this + the k-on seiyuu was intended to get mere 10k sales per volume ? All those elements suggest they tried hard for the ANIME ITSELF so be another KyoAni super hit.

Or do you think Kyoani after failing miserably with Nichijou (which is a kadokawa title too btw) are thinking, oh well, only 10k sales but we have Kadokawa super happy even if our anime itself is not a super hit, good for them...?

Most likely even Kadokawa wanted more sales --- for the anime tiself and even more with what happened with Nichijou which was a massive failure that did even break even ---- as is expected of most Kyoto Animation series ---which is in much need of another hit as Kyoani reputation is not good lately, save for K-ON movie obviously--, but now many like you are saying and justifying, oh well, but Kadokawa is really happy since the novels are selling a lot...like mentioned, this is the last resort to justify (or have hopes in some cases) an anime by itself for not selling as much as it could have

Last edited by dan9999 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:12 pm; edited 4 times in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
If I.G. needs more money they should do another season of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
It might not be a true fujoshi title from inception, but the evidence is in the sales and all of those yaoi doujinshi.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
If I.G. needs more money they should do another season of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

There's a line carved into my wall for every day without that announcement.

Also, I'm just gonna step in to back up the awesomeness of Kuroko. Imagine if the Fist of the North Star characters were incredibly skilled at basketball instead of kung fu. Now imagine they were humanly built and good looking doodz. Put in a solid dose of "odds-and-logic-defying" manliness. There you go. Screw reason!
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:31 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It might not be a true fujoshi title from inception, but the evidence is in the sales and all of those yaoi doujinshi.

Yep, this. We can conclude many other nominally shounen titles like Gintama, etc have some serious fujoshi appeal as well.

That said, I like Kuroko and most sports shows seem to sell well in Japan in general anyways
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

As much as I would love to see that, if I.G. needs more money then they probably can't afford to make another season of SAC. They just don't have the money to invest.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
That said, I like Kuroko and most sports shows seem to sell well in Japan in general anyways

If they're aimed at fujoshi, then yes for the most part.

Big Windup, Kuroko's Basketball, and Prince of Tennis all sold very well on DVD. Less fujoshi-bait sports shows like Cross Game, Major, Hajime no Ippo New Challenger, Giant Killing, and many more all did very, very bad in terms of DVD sales. Area no Kishi is not even likely to have DVDs solicited.
dan9999

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
configspace wrote:

If they're aimed at fujoshi, then yes for the most part.

Big Windup, Kuroko's Basketball, and Prince of Tennis all sold very well on DVD. Less fujoshi-bait sports shows like Cross Game, Major, Hajime no Ippo New Challenger, Giant Killing, and many more all did very, very bad in terms of DVD sales. Area no Kishi is not even likely to have DVDs solicited.

Save for the part that not all series are aiming for dvd/blu-ray sales and a sports anime does not need to be liked by fujoshi and thus get sales form them to achieve their objective which its not always disc sales. You make it sound like a sport aniem that seels its because its a fujoshi title, totally not true.

You really need to watch more sport anime to see new lights.

Also Kuroko no Basket sales are unusually high, no matter how you see it and no matter how much you want to diminish this fact, top spot and 20k+ sales are not common even for real fujoshi titles (sure Utapri got 24k+ mainly on DVD but this one is a 1000% title dedicated to fujoshi, New prince of tennis got only past 7k).

So its highly unlikable that fujoshi are the only ones buying Kuroko, like I said, my bet is they are responsible for the DVDs and a few blu-ray sales so the rest are buying just because its that good, plain and simple.

Area no kishi could care less about disc sales, this is an early morning series aimed at younger audiences. A so was more or less Cross Game airing past 10 am on Sunday.

Last edited by dan9999 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:38 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

Also Kuroko no Basket sales are unusually high, no matter how you see it and no matter how much you want to diminish this fact, top spot and 20k+ sales are not common even for real fujoshi titles.

So its highly unlikable that fujoshi are the only ones buying Kuroko...

Check out Oofuri (Big Windup)'s first volume sales: 25,570. Even higher than Kuroko's first volume. Also, UtaPri had the same 50/50 split between BD/DVD that Kuroko has. It's quite likely that Tiger & Bunny drove a lot of fujoshi to buy BD players since it was only the BDs that had a lot of the extras.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:52 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Hmm, I initially blew it off because I'm not huge into basketball (or sports genre shows in general) but I may have to check this one out, after all.

I am big into basketball, which probably explains why I stopped watching it.
Mechz Deus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:39 am Reply with quote
One slightly more plausible explanation is that the project was pachinko animation.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:23 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
dan9999 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Nice to see Hyouka in the Top 5. I haven't been watching any of Kuroko - any idea why it is being so wildly successful?

Yes, Because its incredibly awesome and kicks butt, perhaps?

No really, its extremely good. Watch it if you haven't.

As to why its selling so good, its a huge surprise and rare,considering its NOT moe, not fanservice, not loli, not aimed at hardcore otaku either...

Its quite rare that a real quality, solid series ( not in the genres specified before) to sell that high indeed. Dunno, perhaps fujoshi are buying a lot? I mean, it does look kind of bishounen after all...

This show is obviously a fujoshi bait.

NO it's not obviously fujoshi bait, it is just a TON of fun. I can't help but watch it with a smile on my face. even bambo compares it with deep fried carnival food. that said it is a shonen series that has stuff they might like with the character designs and I could see them doing some pairing with the generation of miracles and kuroko and kagami
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5