• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio Production I.G Cancels Project Due to Nonpayment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Why are you people marginalizing Fujoshi and treating then like feakish others?

Stop saying "Fujoshi bait" like it's automatically a bad thing.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Huh? It's not a bad thing. It's just a term to describe targeted demographcis of the show. Just like an otaku show isn't inherently a bad thing. It just means that it's aimed primarily at otaku. A fujoshi show is aimed primarily at fujoshi.

The only marginalization being done, if any, is in your head.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, Dan was getting really defensive upon the implication that something he liked was also liked by Fujoshi, because god forbid a man like a "girl show".
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Theres nothing wrong with something being a fujoshi show. I'm personally not interested in them, but I've got no problem with women getting shows aimed at them as well.

But its kinda silly how anyone can actually argue that Kuruko ISN'T a fujoshi show. The yaoi doujins and DVD sales speak for themselves.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Theres nothing wrong with something being a fujoshi show. I'm personally not interested in them, but I've got no problem with women getting shows aimed at them as well.

But its kinda silly how anyone can actually argue that Kuruko ISN'T a fujoshi show. The yaoi doujins and DVD sales speak for themselves.

Actually the dvd sales are to high for it to be a mere fujoshi show since those shows generally 5000 sales if they are big, see prince of tennis 2 sales. kuroko is 4 times that amount. also while the show has some material for it, Durarara or index has far more material for yaoi douijins and a ton of shows that are not for fujoshi exclusively. past episode 1 there aren't even shots that could count as fan service for girls, none of them are even seen without their shirts off even though they are fairly bishonen.
believe it or not shows can have stuff for guys and girls to enjoy. girls can like shonen stuff and have their fun with it, and guys can enjoy shojo stuff like skip beat, due to the strong characters, and great use of acting as a plot device.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
As for Hyouka, sorry but its not a success

I'm still not buying this "3rd best seller is a failure" line. Tell that to the folks who sold fewer than a third as many copies. Tell that to the folks who put out the 20th best selling title. Very Happy
Yerld

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Durarara was a fujoshi show. The producers specifically mentioned the female target before release, and that's where they directed their marketing.

Hetalia and Tiger x Bunny both sold really well with the fujoshi audience. Generally speaking, there's room for one mega champion each season, and Kuroko no Basket happens to be the current one.

At any rate, intended target is largely irrelevant. What matters is whether the fujoshi embrace the show and buy the DVDs (and male otaku don't).
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
The more I think about it, the more the cancelled project sounds like a project that was in the development stages but has yet to be announced--probably either a movie or TV show slated for release in the spring to summer 2013 period.

Danny Choo of Culture Japan--love him or not!--knows the people at Production I.G. very well, and may probably know what was cancelled....
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I fail to see what any of the past few pages of discussion have to do with Production I.G not getting paid.

In addition, why is it the case that "shows aimed at women" translates to "shows where women can ship yaoi pairings?" Aren't there Japanese women who are interested in shows about heterosexual relationships? What about josei shows like Hataraki Man or Nodame Cantabile? Has the appeal of anime to Japanese women really declined so much that only those women interested in imagined yaoi pairings matter?

What about reverse-harem shows like Hakuouki, Ristorante Paradiso, or Saiunkoku Monogatari? Isn't the point of shows like those to create characters for female viewers to identify with and to surround those characters with attractive men?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Reverse-harem fans tend to just ignore the heroine and ship the dudes. I know I do.

Similar to harem fans just shipping the girls together, really.
dan9999

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I dunno, Dan was getting really defensive upon the implication that something he liked was also liked by Fujoshi, because god forbid a man like a "girl show".

No, read my comments again.

I was defending the point that some here say its selling a lot because women primarily (to avoid fujoshi term then) AND MAKE IT SOUND like its a series aimed at women (hence the fujoshi bait discussion) and I am saying its NOT women bait and that for me its unlikely only women are buying this just for the characters that are indeed bishounen, so for me women must a a big factor while others are buying simply because this series is really darn good.

I love series targeted primarily at women too, surely many of us do.

Quote:
I'm still not buying this "3rd best seller is a failure" line. Tell that to the folks who sold fewer than a third as many copies. Tell that to the folks who put out the 20th best selling title. Very Happy

Sure, if you look at it as simple as you do then nothing is wrong and its a big success.

I can easily tell it to others because if you did not know many are not aiming for disc sales, many series revenue comes from sources other than discs, discs matter primarily for late night anime.

Series like Naruto, One Piece, Kids shows for example, could care less if they are at rank 20 in disc sales or dont even figure there.

For many studios that depend on disc sales doing 3k-5k is indeed a success, 6k-9k a huge success, but you need to look at their circumstances.

If you take a look at the whole picture: super high production values, who are the creators of Hyouka, that Kadokawa and Kyonai come from a massive failure like Nichijou which most likely resulted in huge financial losses, that they got the K-ON seiyuu surely in the hopes to have massive sales and then the end result is 10k....

Sure 10k is a lot for MANY other studios, go back and see if this is normal for Kadokawa + Kyoani productions.

If you still fail to understand then lets put another example in a western perspective.

The other day ATLUS was celebrating Catherine with 200k sales, they were so surprised with the huge success, by your perspective considering this one example many should be more than happy with this right, I mean if one compnay is that happy with 200k then it should be the same for any right?

Then what if it upcoming GTAV gets mere 200K, ok, lets be more realistic, its gets mere 2-3 million sales, this surely would be a big failure for Rockstar, even If there was no other high profile releases to compete with and ranks in the top sales charts, by your pespective then we would assume a tremendous success? Evidently not.

Hyouka is competing with spring anime which did not had high profile selling titles, its only competing with Accel World, Haiyore, Kuroko, Tsuritama, Sakamichi, etc.

If we look at all releases and take into account series like Persona 4 which last volume got 24k+, then Nisemonogatari with 40k+ Kuroko (with 14k+ for vol 2 first week release)....

Look at Kyonai history, the until recently King Midas of the anime industry, any series by them was a guarantee to sell like crazy, easily 20k+.

If you like the series or consider it good, then its another issue, to call it a success looking at the whole picture its highly debatable. If like some here, you wanna say its a huge success because boosted novel sales then if Kyoani and Kadokawa look at it the same then sure, its a success I guess, as long as they dont mind coming from the Nichijou failure and then averaging 10k with Hyouka which is further braking Kyoani's bubble as King Midas of anime.

Last edited by dan9999 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Look at Kyonai history, the until recently King Midas of the anime industry, any series by them was a guarantee to sell like crazy, easily 20k+.

Look up the sales of Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, Full Metal Panic:The Second Raid, and Munto TV.

The Key properties (Air, Kanon, Clannad/AS) were all massive successes and had a huge fanbase from the visual novels already. Same can be said with Haruhi Suzumiya's large fanbase from the light novels.

Lucky Star and K-ON are both 4koma SoL cute-girls-doing-cute-things. KyoAni has had the most success with this kind of show. That's why I said if they really wanted to match the 'super hit success' of other shows then they would have done another 4koma SoL cute-girls-doing-cute-things show.
dan9999

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:59 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
dan9999 wrote:

Look up the sales of Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, Full Metal Panic:The Second Raid, and Munto TV.

The Key properties (Air, Kanon, Clannad/AS) were all massive successes and had a huge fanbase from the visual novels already. Same can be said with Haruhi Suzumiya's large fanbase from the light novels.

Lucky Star and K-ON are both 4koma SoL cute-girls-doing-cute-things. KyoAni has had the most success with this kind of show. That's why I said if they really wanted to match the 'super hit success' of other shows then they would have done another 4koma SoL cute-girls-doing-cute-things show.

If Hyoka is a success is debatable defending the perspectives I reckon.

Now as to your reasoning that Kyoani did not want to make Hyouka a super hit is not really debatable much with the evidence I see:

-Massive Nichijou failure previous to Hyouka --> you think Kyoani did not want a huge hit after that?
-The super high production values of Hyouka, sure, theyr series have high production values, but Hyouka get the extra effort that series like Haruhi, K-ON got.
-Its based on a novel not on a 4kama, so what, plenty novel based series yield massive sales not only 4koma, Kyoani has had plenty success with novels too, one super massive with Haruhi
-Have you watched Hyouka to begin with? It also has cute girls being cute and doing cute things
-LOTS OF MOE
- Reuniting the WHOLE K-ON seiyuu cast, yes the FIVE super popular seiyuu of the moment, even if 4 are supporting characters in this.

With that I find it hard to believe they did not want this to be another massive hit, if not to surpass at least to come somewhat close to their previous super hits, even more to recover some of its pride and confidence after Nichijou.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:32 am Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

-Massive Nichijou failure previous to Hyouka --> you think Kyoani did not want a huge hit after that?

Considering that the K-ON movie made ~20 million USD at the box office in Japan and sold ~160k copies on BD/DVD, I'd say that's the hit that KyoAni wanted.
dan9999

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
dan9999 wrote:

Considering that the K-ON movie made ~20 million USD at the box office in Japan and sold ~160k copies on BD/DVD, I'd say that's the hit that KyoAni wanted.

Exactly if not for K-ON Kyonai very well be in trouble now, whats next after K-ON? They came up with Nichijou and then Hyouka...this is why some like me say Kyoanis image of guaranteed success has kinda broke during the last couple years.

Lets see what its next series say. For me they can keep making more K-ON thou, I welcome it Very Happy It may seem I dislike or hate them but no, I love some of its series, K-ON, FMP mainly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5