• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Sues CA Retail Sites over Alleged Bootlegs

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grico

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:41 pm Reply with quote
That's interesting. I went to their retail store in August when I was in Anaheim for a conference. Didn't see any bootlegs there. They did have a nice big 3.99 used manga section. Was planning on going back if I was ever in the area again.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:45 pm Reply with quote
They waited two years to sue? Seriously?
SeedOfAnime

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:47 pm Reply with quote
i wondered why i couldnt get on [This URL is a known Bootlegging website]'s website I've bought alot from them though none of it was bootleg. I just kinda hope the site servives. though maybe they should syop selling bootleg.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I was really sad when Anime Nuts closed their doors (although the 60% off sale was quite nice). Sad I attend a local college there and I would get all my manga from them. Their store never had any bootlegs, but I never checked out their website.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:51 pm Reply with quote
They Definitely sold bootleg because i bought Kenshin DVD from them couple years ago. it was $40 or $50 for the entire series. I didn't know it was bootleg until i received my Dvds.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
They waited two years to sue? Seriously?

Probably gathering evidence- considering the number of 'fans' who openly reject any and all offical offerings as overpriced garbage from fat-cat executives, they probably wanted to get all their ducks in a row before putting in the money and effort of a lawsuit- lest they lose and inadvertently create a hero figure for everyone who hates 'those jerks who edited DBZ and think we should pay $50 for 4 episodes'.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Even if FUNimation wins, there's no way they're gonna get a cash settlement that big.
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure about anime nuts, but.. I kinda think if you are running a store you should do thorough vetting of your suppliers. That said they are already closing so I don't know that anyone should care.

The supplier here I think is the main concern. As far as the "statute of limitations" argument, I think Funimation should be praised if anything for going as far as they did in requesting/asking instead of suing first and asking questions later. It'd be nice if the rest of the media industry was as cordial with fans as Funimation is with outright bootlegging operations (and btw, I don't expect them to be, I think these are the types they should go all out against, I don't sympathize with bootlegging operations at all).

Quote:

lest they lose and inadvertently create a hero figure for everyone who hates 'those jerks who edited DBZ and think we should pay $50 for 4 episodes'.

That isn't even in the realm of possibility. Even though I'm entirely anti-copyright I'm thoroughly against bootlegs and most fansub supporters are. No one should support people who provide no support for the anime they like. It's just irrational. I don't think you'll find these people have much support at all, except against the "so cheap I'd never pay crowd" and no one should care about those people. You can't win them over.

Last edited by Xanas on Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
SeigiNoSenshi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this has anything to do with DeepDiscount removing all Funimation boxsets, too.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote
This is significantly different than fansubbing. it would have been in Funimations best interest to take serious,immediate legal action,not cease-and-desist letters. illegally distributing bootleg copies of DUBBED shows is just wrong,dude.
midnightshinigami

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:59 pm Reply with quote
That explains why the site is down. I have an order with them I've been waiting a month for, and I hope I still will get it. You can't cancel the order once it's been processed. Mad

I noticed the bootlegs available and I avoided them. They were very obvious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:04 pm Reply with quote
SeedOfAnime wrote:
i wondered why i couldnt get on [This URL is a known Bootlegging website]'s website I've bought alot from them though none of it was bootleg. I just kinda hope the site servives. though maybe they should syop selling bootleg.

It depends really. Can you run a company from prision?
FeralKat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:06 pm Reply with quote
midnightshinigami wrote:
That explains why the site is down. I have an order with them I've been waiting a month for, and I hope I still will get it. You can't cancel the order once it's been processed. Mad

I noticed the bootlegs available and I avoided them. They were very obvious, and I'm almost suprised they didn't get caught sooner.

I wouldn't hold my breath. A couple of my friends worked there and told me that the website staff was the first thing to go, along with their warehouse. They soon laid off pretty much everyone within the month of the closing. I hope I'm wrong.
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I am behind Funimation all the way on this one. There are a multitude of bootleg companies and websites out there, the problem is that these are based overseas and thus are sometimes practically immune to lawsuits. Or so it appears that was the case for some time. I hope Funimation continues to spearhead the movement to clean up all of these illegal distribution groups.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
DiscountanimeDVD! Yes! I have been waiting for those guys to get busted forever. Anyone with an inking of what a bootleg is, could easily spot their flaunting of them all over the website.

For the record I have made one purchase from the site before. It was for an OOP manga volume that I couldn't find anywhere else. And believe me I looked hard. The version I got was thankfully legit, but I still felt really bad about using the site, even if it only was ten bucks.

Anyway I am really glad sites like this are being targeted. No one can argue, not even the most unscrupulous among the fansubbers, that what they were doing was not only unethical and illegal, but just plain wrong on all other levels that those two categories don't cover.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10