• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Things about anime these days that just absolutely frustrates you?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
[...]what [sic] is it with these companies and opting for thirteen- or twenty-six-episode series, especially when it's adapted from a manga that has a shit-ton more material than that? [...]

It is my understanding (and I could be wrong, of course!) that producers on production committees are cautious -- unless the manga / source material is really popular -- and will limit themselves to one season at a time. I do not know, however, the reasons for not producing a second season of Claymore.

I absolutely agree with your comments on long-running shonen series. Amen, brother!
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
Insecure male lead: why is it that almost every goddamn show has a teenage male lead that ...

One solution is to watch shows about adults (Space Brothers, for instance) and be very picky about shows with adolescent characters (Tsuritama and Chihayafuru).

Quote:
Stunted growth: what is it with these companies and opting for thirteen- or twenty-six-episode series, especially when it's adapted from a manga that has a shit-ton more material than that? It's absurd. If you're not into Claymore for the long haul, then let it be a manga and nothing else.

You're looking at Claymore, a show from 2007, with 20-20 hindsight. Remember that the primary purpose of anime adaptations is to expand sales of the source material and to sell merchandise. I've always thought Madhouse expected to make a second season of Claymore, but the production committee decided it wasn't worth it. Then the studio had to throw together an unsatisfying ending.

I don't know how long you have been watching anime, but many people come to it thinking that producing the anime is an end in itself. I know I did. Usually that is very far from the truth. Look around here for Justin Sevakis's two-part series on anime production that came out a few months' back. It will give you some insight into the complexities involved in putting together a production committee, getting them all to agree, getting them to put up the money, etc., etc.

With rare exceptions most late-night anime series are not produced for the same reasons ordinary television shows are made. If late-night anime shows had to depend on advertising revenues alone, they would never get made.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
Films produced based on, and alongside, long-running shōnen series: mediocre quality. I swear to god, it's a bit more apparent with each new Naruto film that comes out and the one Bleach film I saw a while ago didn't impress me either. They're basically giant [expletive] filler episodes with the most whimsical plotlines I've ever seen, completely lacking in depth, churned out once every year, and just as forgettable. Can they not make a film that is actually important or profound to the story, themes, concepts, and what else being espoused by the main TV series? If you're going to spend the millions of yen to do something like this, why not make it mean something other than, "Oh hey, here's what would happen if Naruto met his dad IRL?" Or, "Oh, look, we're making cameos of more of the regular cast in this film than the last one?"

I don't believe this qualifies as a "these days" rant, long-running series have always had side-venture and non-canon films. Dragon Ball had four of them off the top of my head, and that was 20-25 years ago. I still like them better than the super-robot compilation films, which only served a purpose before the cable/syndication and VHS/LD renting/owning became widespread for anime TV series.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:17 am Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
Insecure male lead: why is it that almost every goddamn show has a teenage male lead that is single and shy

The insecure, shy guy can be quite the turn-on for us girls. Razz Because it makes him feel childlike and innocent and we want to "protect him"......or just flat out CORRUPT him. Anime hyper

I ain't complaining.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:45 am Reply with quote
Still doesn't stop there from being too damn many of them Anime hyper
Masakaki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote
[edit]

Last edited by Masakaki on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote
Masakaki wrote:
Really? Girls like weak guys?! Shouldn't it be the other way around? Confused
There is more than one trope out there, you should know! Cool
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
Films produced based on, and alongside, long-running shōnen series: ...
Can they not make a film that is actually important or profound to the story, themes, concepts, and what else being espoused by the main TV series?

In my opinion if the movie really was important to the story then it would be necessary for people to watch the movie in order to understand the story. Then you would have people saying "Why the [expletive] do I have to watch a [expletive] move to know what is happening in the TV show?"

I think that the movies are made for people who are fans of the characters and the show in general, rather than one particular story in the series.

Also, the producers would not intentionally limit their audience to fans who are following the TV show. They want the movie to be accessible to as many people as possible.

And, due to different production teams and schedules it would probably be very difficult to fit the movie into the story even if they wanted to.

The most that I hope for in these movies is that they do not contradict anything in the series. That could be annoying.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote
Masakaki wrote:
Really? Girls like weak guys?! Shouldn't it be the other way around? Confused

"Weak"? Who said anything about "weak"? I believe we were discussing "shyness".

shyness=/=weak. >:/

But to answer the question, I personally don't go for "weak" guys. As in spineless ones.

I wanted to smack Shinji around like a bitch. That ought to tell you something.

Quote:
Still doesn't stop there from being too damn many of them

There are too damn many shy girls with F cups too. I consider it a fair trade. Rolling Eyes
RHachicho

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
Lol don't roll your eyes at me as if i'm part of the "Hinata" fan club (just cos she's the postergirl for it) I don't like 2 dimentional characters regardless of gender. I would just like to see more male leads that males can actually relate to. Though some part of me thinks it to be some kind of literal coping mechanism. I mean if most normal men where being hit on as hard as the ones in alot of these shows are well let's say there would be some fairly .. interesting .. episodes. It's still poor writing though however you cut it.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:08 am Reply with quote
RHachicho wrote:
I mean if most normal men where being hit on as hard as the ones in alot of these shows are well let's say there would be some fairly .. interesting .. episodes.

Uh.....I think the show would just turn into a hentai then. >_> No thanks.

.........you've seen School Days, right? That was a total middle finger to everyone who complained about gentleman male leads who didn't want to do every girl they came in contact with.
"So, would you rather they be like THIS? Here's Makoto!"

lol

Quote:
It's still poor writing though however you cut it.

Poor writing? How so? They can't make a guy too willing to hook up with the girl....because then you can't make a story out of their relationship...unless you throw in a ton of relationship drama i.e. "I saw you with HER/HIM and I think you're cheating on me-BOO-HOO" and everybody HATES that....

I'm wondering if the "shy male lead" stereotype could be part of the Japanese culture as well?
I mean, I know PDA isn't even present in a lot of places in Japan because they think it's too inappropriate-even holding hands!
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I'm wondering if the "shy male lead" stereotype could be part of the Japanese culture as well?

I think it is simply because the lead males - whether they are milquetoasts or perverts - are Otaku-insert characters.

After all, in Japanese culture men are supposed to take the lead in romance. The fact that most male leads in Harem shows do not take the lead is a telling indication of how the audiences of those shows think and react to women.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
One solution is to watch shows about adults (Space Brothers, for instance) and be very picky about shows with adolescent characters (Tsuritama and Chihayafuru).

You'd be surprised at how picky I am. That aside, it's not adolescent characters that bother me; it's the way some of them are portrayed. Especially the young males.

If I had to think of a show that had a quality male lead, I'd point to Clannad as an example. Cynical, intelligently devious (more or less), capable of love without the overblown, melodramatic passion that plagues other male leads, and almost whimsical in his motivations. Tomoya really wasn't bad by any means.

Actually, I could say similar things about Kunisaki in Air.

Perhaps Key is the one company we can trust with stuff like this.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I don't believe this qualifies as a "these days" rant, long-running series have always had side-venture and non-canon films. Dragon Ball had four of them off the top of my head, and that was 20-25 years ago.

[snip]

It was true twenty-five years ago, and it is still true now. Therefore, it applies 'these days.'

I can agree: films based on long-running series have always been non- or semi-canon throwaway side-ventures. And what has always been is atrocious and repulsive, frustrates me, and needs to change.

Chiibi wrote:
The insecure, shy guy can be quite the turn-on for us girls. Razz Because it makes him feel childlike and innocent and we want to "protect him"......or just flat out CORRUPT him. Anime hyper

I ain't complaining.

I suppose I'll clarify: while I don't care for the trope, I don't detest it so much as I detest its propensity; I'd prefer to see males (and females too, of course) that have more driving them (or driving them back, as it tends to be the case) than the blank-slate, innocent, pubescent, over-passionate mentality. A good number of people go through such a thing growing up and I'll make no effort to hide the fact that I did as well, but I also met plenty whose minds were (and are) more complex, defined by more profound experiences that led to more interesting strengths or dispositions.

Touma wrote:
In my opinion if the movie really was important to the story then it would be necessary for people to watch the movie in order to understand the story. Then you would have people saying "Why the [expletive] do I have to watch a [expletive] move to know what is happening in the TV show?"

Sounds like a collective of viewers who shouldn't be attempting to stomach a series as long as that then. If they are fans and are paying attention, then this is hardly an issue.

Ideal plots and the ways that they are told should not be cast aside because a few idiots are going to complain about the precise medium by which it is brought to them. So it's a film instead of several TV episodes. What difference does it make? What difference should it make? Watch the shit and enjoy it, it's not difficult, I say.

Touma wrote:
I think that the movies are made for people who are fans of the characters and the show in general, rather than one particular story in the series.

I agree, and find it repugnant.

Touma wrote:
Also, the producers would not intentionally limit their audience to fans who are following the TV show. They want the movie to be accessible to as many people as possible.

That wouldn't change. The films as we know them are already known to fit into the canon ("between X and Y manga chapters"). I am just asking that they not be so annoyingly frivolous.

Touma wrote:
And, due to different production teams and schedules it would probably be very difficult to fit the movie into the story even if they wanted to.

[snip]

That's why I I think they should work it into the hypothetical lull between seasons as I suggested. But that lull won't happen because they insist on throwing useless filler at us instead.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
If I had to think of a show that had a quality male lead, I'd point to Clannad as an example. Cynical, intelligently devious (more or less), capable of love without the overblown, melodramatic passion that plagues other male leads, and almost whimsical in his motivations. Tomoya really wasn't bad by any means.

Actually, I could say similar things about Kunisaki in Air.

Perhaps Key is the one company we can trust with stuff like this.

YES. Key's male leads are the best. I love them all.

Quote:
I'd prefer to see males (and females too, of course) that have more driving them (or driving them back, as it tends to be the case) than the blank-slate, innocent, pubescent, over-passionate mentality.

Meh, there are too many despicable and perverted adolescents in real life so keep them out of my anime and manga, plzkthanx. Innocent, pure characters are better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9