• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Things about anime these days that just absolutely frustrates you?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Annf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:
The thing that I never understand is the recent trend of people getting "burnt out" on anime. I know there is a lot more to view, however you DON'T have to watch all of it.

EricDent wrote:
I also do not get the whole "dropping" thing.

Surely these concepts go hand-in-hand. Smile
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Annf wrote:
EricDent wrote:
The thing that I never understand is the recent trend of people getting "burnt out" on anime. I know there is a lot more to view, however you DON'T have to watch all of it.

EricDent wrote:
I also do not get the whole "dropping" thing.

Surely these concepts go hand-in-hand. Smile

This actually segues nicely into my next complaint. The cultlike mentality of fans (most of the time Toonami fans) that cannot take criticism. The ones that answer anything even remotely resembling criticism with the phrase "Don't feed the trolls", "Troll this, troll that" etc all. They come across as incapable of accepting any sort of opinion outside of "This anime is perfect, all anime is perfect, comedy can go to hell, live action can go to hell, sports can go to hell." And it just makes me want to hurt them after a while.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:31 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Anime without cover-art fan service is like cake without frosting.

And just remember, some frosting on cake is incredibly disgusting because there's too much of it that it can make you gag. Rolling Eyes
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Anime without cover-art fan service is like cake without frosting.

And just like how many cakes are ineptly slathered in icing to such an extant that the taste is dulled and bland, many anime slather on fanservice like a sauce on an inept casserole, to the point of blandness.

Quote:
(Sexual) Fanservice: Anime has always been exploitative, but I think that this has changed over time. To brush this complaint away by noting that there has always been tawdry fanservice in anime is akin to brushing away complaints about your neighbor owning an automatic shotgun because matchlocks existed five hundred-odd years ago.

I think we've got a serious case of vales dissonance here, as I see nothing wrong with owning a shotgun...
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I am sorry, but I am compelled to respond to this one.....
Chagen46 wrote:
[...]
I think we've got a serious case of vales dissonance here, as I see nothing wrong with owning a shotgun...

I have just one question for you -- just this one. Of all of the people in the U.S. who own rifles and handguns, how many of them have received the same training that police do?
Answer: Damned few. (The "An armed society is a polite society" canard is outrageously ridiculous.)
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I hope people can resist any further compulsions to explain how each other is completely wrong-headed about firearms.

And what frustrates me is that there are still a number of titles that sound very intriguing, but don't get localizations. For example, Hyouge Mono.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross--
Please accept this humble apology.
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:07 am Reply with quote
all this cake talk is making me hungry now
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Parse Error

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:52 am Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
Please accept this humble apology.

Why not simply edit the offending post instead? While it may not have been a good idea, and perhaps you should ask him to do the same if it truly bothers you that much, at least Chagen46 was only stating why the analogy didn't work for him personally. You, on the other hand, are basically trying to tell other people what they should believe and why, where your victory is assured simply because they are not free to debate the issue with you here, which is the rhetorical equivalent of kicking someone in the groin while they're bound in chains.

Back to the topic at hand, the thing I've noticed about the typical, potboiler-type anime of the past few years is that the structure has fundamentally changed. They tend to smash clean through to their natural climax extremely early, sometimes even during the first episode, and then fall into what feels like an extended denouement prior to some painfully contrived conflict shoehorned into the finale and resolved through a deus ex machina. It seems to me as though a lot of potentially interesting concepts have been wasted this way, but I believe it's just a temporary hiccup resulting from a misguided attempt to stand out early in an over-saturated market. Hopefully, over the long run some of those ideas will eventually get recycled with better execution.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:58 am Reply with quote
Any chance you might give us a few examples of what you describe in the second paragraph above? I, frankly, have no idea what series you are talking about, but maybe we just watch an entirely different array of shows.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote
I've said this numerous times but this thread is specifically made for it.

the last several seasons has had the series writers adding "psychological depth" to the characters and stories in some. far too frequently making the characters either idiots who couldn't think their way out of a hallway with one door and an exit sign. or they make them into some kind of Prozac lacking childhood trauma induced headcase. the biggest problem is they don't stop there they try to add it to the story line and most of the rubber stamp writers suck eggs at deep writing so halfway through the series you get the inevitable plot hole because they needed to dig themselves out of the deep pit they created.

quick example would be the current arc in one piece the last few months of the fight has been filled with trying to explain the deep hatred towards humans the fishman pirates have only to tank-out with "they are empty" they simply stretched the entire psycho BS so much they couldn't even come up with an ending to it.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Any chance you might give us a few examples of what you describe in the second paragraph above? I, frankly, have no idea what series you are talking about, but maybe we just watch an entirely different array of shows.

It's not about any specific series, just an overall perception of the various "Panty Fighter," Magical Girlfriend/Harem Action-Comedies, and assorted shows along similar lines. If one looks back to something such as Raimuiro Senkitan, or even as recent as Strike Witches, they have coherent, consistent plots that follow a conventional dramatic structure.

More recent shows along those lines tend to follow a similar model to Maken-Ki! as one example, starting out with some intriguing concept or conflict but either resolving or abandoning it after a few episodes in order to focus exclusively on fanservice until the series is nearly over. Of course, those who don't write off such shows as inherently awful to begin with might say I'm cherry-picking a particularly bad one here, but even a much better show such as High School DxD has a similar problem, only to a lesser extent and with better execution.

Up to about the halfway point there was a genuine and interesting conflict which came to a highly satisfying conclusion, and could have stood on its own as a subplot even without the fanservice. Everything after that was conceptually anti-climactic and relied very heavily on the ecchi elements to make the final, painfully cliched "spoiler[I shall now force your Magical Girlfriend to become my bride]" subplot reasonably tolerable. It worked because it was done skillfully enough, so I still enjoyed it, but it was creatively bland compared to the high point the series began on.

I feel especially those kinds of shows are, in response to market pressures, starting stronger but burning through their best ideas earlier and then ending weaker. However, I wouldn't say this is exclusive to ecchi shows, it just happens to be where I notice it most frequently because I'm far more selective when it comes to other varieties of anime. Humanity Has Declined started out with what I understand to be material from the fourth novel, and then more or less worked its way backwards, presumably because that particular arc was considered to be the one most likely to get the audience hooked on the show right away. In that case it worked out quite well as a series of vignettes, but the same principle appears to have been at work.
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I think most of the shows you're referring to are light novel adaptations. (Though Maken-ki is not.) It's kind of a symptom of the format in those cases, as a rule for submitting a light novel is that the first volume has to be self-contained. That results in strong endings for that volume, and maybe one or two more after serialization, but then they start exploring characters or doing longer arcs and so the story slows down. It also doesn't help that most "potboiler" series are animated exactly as they are written rather than adapted to the new medium.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Not everyone is willing to do what they did with the first season of Haruhi Suzumiya, and stretch out a single light novel into a full season, by interspersing episodes from later novels and short stories.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
To be honest I don't think it's the presence of Moe/fan service or whatever that people hate it's the utter LACK of what they love. The Sci Fi and the Superpowers and the Mysteries and the Thrillers etc etc. Unfortunately from a sales perspective it's cheaper to draw 24 episodes of gravity defying breasts and pantsu shots and sell it to horny people than it is to make that stuff. This was always going to happen as soon as Anime became a big money industry. Same thing happening to gaming. If you figure out a solution to stop all these money grubbing !£!"%^£"!* from f!"£!%!"ing up everything i love do let me in on it cos i would like to know.

To make myself clear that's NOT to say there's anything inherently wrong with 24 episodes of fan-service. When your in the mood for such things. But they have a waaaay higher market share then they need atm.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9