• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Prime Minister Asō Goes Cherry Blossom Viewing with AKB48

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:55 am Reply with quote
The_X_box_360 wrote:
Perhaps, I should have concluded my first reply with the question....,
In what world has Japanese comic/animation media ever been THE MAIN EXPORT of Japan, besting the automobile, video game, personal computer, electronics etc... industries?
....so that I could at least know the name of this imaginary Anime fan world you live in. Cool
No, this one. Japan Reports Record Plunge in Exports and this one
Prime Minister Asō: Anime, Manga Are Part of Japan's Recovery

Now I was considerate enough to back up my bold words. Can you back up yours? Wink
Twage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:17 am Reply with quote
This is so pathetic. The man has 25% approval ratings so he blows a bunch of smoke about using a missile defense system that doesn't work against North Korea, then doesn't follow through, and now he's hanging out with otaku idols.

It's as bad as W going to Texas to clean brush every other week.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:23 am Reply with quote
Twage wrote:
This is so pathetic. The man has 25% approval ratings so he blows a bunch of smoke about using a missile defense system that doesn't work against North Korea, then doesn't follow through, and now he's hanging out with otaku idols.

It's as bad as W going to Texas to clean brush every other week.
Isn't that defense system an American made one? Also I would have thought W has a bit more time to dedicate to cleaning brush these days. Wink
The_X_box_360

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
The_X_box_360 wrote:
Perhaps, I should have concluded my first reply with the question....,
In what world has Japanese comic/animation media ever been THE MAIN EXPORT of Japan, besting the automobile, video game, personal computer, electronics etc... industries?
....so that I could at least know the name of this imaginary Anime fan world you live in. Cool
No, this one. Japan Reports Record Plunge in Exports and this one
Prime Minister Asō: Anime, Manga Are Part of Japan's Recovery

Now I was considerate enough to back up my bold words. Can you back up yours? Wink

LOL, wow..... so you're "that guy" that can never admit to being mistaken, no matter how retardedly ridiculous of a statement you've made. Confused

Let me just cut to the chase, already.....

2007 Anime/Manga Sales Figures:

Japanese Manga Sales:
-US$4.1 billion worldwide (including japan).
-SALES DECLINED IN 2008, AND CONTINUE TO DO SO! Wink
-Source (See last two paragraphs of article for figures)

Japanese Total Anime Industry Revenue Sales: (more than just DVD sales) Smile
-US$2.4 billion worldwide (including japan).
-SALES DECLINED IN 2008, AND CONTINUE TO DO SO! Wink
-Source (This source even cites ANN as one of it's sources, lol)

February 2009 Japanese Auto Export Figures: (I choose this month just because it's the exact same month the figures in your linked article are from) Very Happy

Japanese Automobile/Motorcycle Export Figure For Month of Feb. 2009:
-US$5.7 billion worldwide (NOOOOTTT including Japan).
-THAT'S JUST ONE MONTH OF RECESSION AUTO EXPORTS NEARLY OVER TAKING AN ENTIRE YEAR OF PRE-RECESSION ANIME/MANGA DOMESTIC+EXPORT TOTAL REVENUE!!!! Wink
-Source (...........)

*annual anime+manga sales = 1 month auto exports =/= anime+manga > auto (sales wise)
*This information, coupled with your later statements, make your initial comment, "because it's [anime] mostly the only thing from Japan that is being bought up overseas", seem utterly ridiculous and borderline delusional......
Mohawk52 wrote:
Anymouse wrote:
He's taking things too far. Why must he always celebrate nerdy consumerism just to make himself look soft?
Because it's mostly the only thing from Japan that is being bought up overseas?

Seriously, do you really call your little imaginary anime fan world "The Real World", or were you just being stuffy with me?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:32 pm Reply with quote
The_X_box_360 wrote:
*annual anime+manga sales = 1 month auto exports =/= anime+manga > auto (sales wise)
*This information, coupled with your later statements, make your initial comment, "because it's [anime] mostly the only thing from Japan that is being bought up overseas", seem utterly ridiculous and borderline delusional......
Mohawk52 wrote:
Anymouse wrote:
He's taking things too far. Why must he always celebrate nerdy consumerism just to make himself look soft?
Because it's mostly the only thing from Japan that is being bought up overseas?

Seriously, do you really call your little imaginary anime fan world "The Real World", or were you just being stuffy with me?
Nice of you to put [words] in my mouth. All that info just bolsters the same as I posted. Clever lad. or lass, like you will have noticed I said "bought", nothing about "exported", or [anime]. There are docks, and ports round the world chock-a-block full of imports, from around the world, not just Japan, that no one is buying, and you will have noticed in your links that all catagories of exports are way down from the same time last year, and are continuing to go down, because there is simple no place to store it. I don't know how you could have read so much in my short sentence, but I never said, or even implied, anime and manga exported more than cars, electrical appliances, and electronic devices, which, if I understand what you are on about, is what you mean. I meant that the Japanese have finally sensed that it's their culture that is a new sustainable marketing product that has the potential to expand if handled properly, and Aso is pushing it big time. You see the phrase "Gross National Cool" is still ringing in his head, hense this little stunt with ABK48. I think your economic hormones might have got the best of you in your world.
The_X_box_360

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Anymouse wrote:
Because it's MOSTLY the ONLY THING from Japan that is being bought up overseas?
What's that now? Laughing

You can nitpick over typos ([anime] was supposed to be [anime/manga]) or try and sell ridiculous notions like exports=/=foreign sales all you want, but.....

....YOU CAN'T CHANGED THE FACT THAT YOU IMPLIED THE ANIME/MANGA INDUSTRY DOMINATED JAPANESE FOREIGN SALES WITH YOUR INITIAL COMMENT (which is grossly untrue with more than four other Japanese industry markets making anime/manga foreign sales look like child's play EVEN IN THIS RECESSION)....

...nor can you try to backtrack from your response to my question "Have you ever even heard of the Automobile and Video Game industries??!?!?" in which you absurdly imply that the recession has led to such a decline in automobile and video game sales that somehow manga/anime sales have to be MOSTLY THE ONLY THING BEING BOUGHT OVERSEAS, even though that's also untrue with both those industries still outselling manga/anime by more than TEN TIMES it's sales. Wink

I'm gonna go ahead and say that it doesn't matter how much you're proved wrong, you'll just continue to worm through the discussion, scrambling for whatever feint thread of denial you can find, no matter how implausible it is. Even to the point of practically denying your own previous statements.

*waits for you to try and make the discussion about how you never came close to denying your previous statements* Rolling Eyes

.....on second thought, I've already said all I have to say. If you choose to persist in denial, that's your business. It's not my responsibility to sit in some thread chasing some delusional poster in circles, all in an increasingly obvious feeble attempt to make them see reason. -_-
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:59 pm Reply with quote
rg4619 wrote:
Among nationalists, one point that's often raised is that in terms of culture, anime/manga is about the only uniquely Japanese product to hit it big internationally (culturally speaking, a key way for Japan to make its mark overseas). Cars and games cannot be as easily identified as being distinctly Japanese.

As silly and futile as it may seem, there are political motivations for this (helping to fuel nationalism, especially among younger generations, in the face of all the problems they're struggling to solve).

That's the real problem with so many nationalists. They don't really have any respect for tradition, culture, or virtue, but simply cheerlead for whatever they're country happens to be doing, even if it may ultimately be detrimental to the nation.

Last edited by Anymouse on Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:37 am Reply with quote
The_X_box_360[person with too much time on his/her hands] wrote:
Padantic troll stuff
Whatever. Who asked you to anyway.? Seeing as you are "that guy" who thinks we are "delusional anime fans living in our imaginary world" why are you even here? Just to attack me personally, because you're bored with your 360 at the moment? Well it was a question? Thank you for your detailed answers. I can't tell you how much we like to hear from people from outside our "world" who can bring us to the light of reality in such a way as you have. Do please come again, but not too soon as I'll need time to recover from the exposure to your presents. Rolling Eyes
The_X_box_360

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:39 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
The_X_box_360[person with too much time on his/her hands] wrote:
Padantic troll stuff
Whatever. Who asked you to anyway.? Seeing as you are "that guy" who thinks we are "delusional anime fans living in our imaginary world" why are you even here? Just to attack me personally, because you're bored with your 360 at the moment? Well it was a question? Thank you for your detailed answers. I can't tell you how much we like to hear from people from outside our "world" who can bring us to the light of reality in such a way as you have. Do please come again, but not too soon as I'll need time to recover from the exposure to your presents. Rolling Eyes
LMAO!! Anime hyper
(nice jibes, dude)

I don't care what they say about you, Mohawk52, you're alright with me. Wink
(even if you did call me a troll)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2