• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Viz Media Licenses Five Top Animated Series to Funimation Channel for US Television Launch

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mDuo13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was just advertising speak when they said "5 top anime series" but these really are a big deal. Monster! Finally licensed! Man. My world has changed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
icepick314

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:58 pm Reply with quote
PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE bring back Full Moon wo Sagashite!!!

partnership with Funimation on series boxset would be great....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:27 pm Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:

Seconded! The 7 discs of Full moon represent the most I have spent on any one anime series (Shana singles came pretty close though).

I dont even care about a dub (though I would appreciate it).

I have not even watched past disc 3, please prevent me from having to torrent the rest.
marzipan.dragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Monster!!!! Surprised

and I'm sure I'll watch Nana too.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
It's too bad that the Funimation Channel is not available to 90% of people in the US...

They should put it up on their VOD site so people can see it.
AnimeJames

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Hm, Dish Network, hello, get this already! Really, you've got a lot of other channels nobody watches, this one has meaning! and plenty of space too, throw it in the 9000s, w/e, just get it!
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:10 am Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:

partnership with Funimation on series boxset would be great....

What was Viz even thinking to put Full Moon on single discs in the first place? They should have gone to box set.

While we're at it, they should also bring back Flame of Recca, Boys Over Flowers, and Ceres: Celestial Legend in box sets, download-to-own, and streaming video. Ditto Video Girl Ai and Please Save My Earth.

As for Monster, NANA, Hunter x Hunter, etc.: If FUNi also streams these shows, I will love them forever and let them have my e-kids.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
Didn't we see this announcement here already just a few days ago? Does ANN automatically republish every single press release regardless of whether or not it's redundant?

That said, I only hope that Monster will be available at a price I can afford. Anything much more than about $2/episode (~$150 total) is going to put it out-of-reach for people with limited resources to spend on anime like me. Having seen how Viz priced Hikaru no Go (~$6/episode), I'm hoping Funimation can make them realize the anime market in the US isn't the same as the market in Japan.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Didn't we see this announcement here already just a few days ago? Does ANN automatically republish every single press release regardless of whether or not it's redundant?

Maybe it's a slow news day and they needed to post some copypasta?

Quote:
That said, I only hope that Monster will be available at a price I can afford. Anything much more than about $2/episode (~$150 total) is going to put it out-of-reach for people with limited resources to spend on anime like me. Having seen how Viz priced Hikaru no Go (~$6/episode), I'm hoping Funimation can make them realize the anime market in the US isn't the same as the market in Japan.

$6 an episode? If anything, Viz should have released Hikaru No Go in box sets right from the beginning.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for season 3 of Bleach to get a box set! As far up as they've dubbed it, you'd think they'd have released the whole show up to that point by now!
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:01 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

Well, the one you're linking us to is the actual news article,, compared to press releases, which I suppose has a difference in its own way. And anyway, once someone clicks the "discuss this topic in the forum" link, then that's kind of who you are to blame, lol.

To be honest, it's not a big deal, it can't be helped.

Oh, and I only have Funimation though my Verizon cable, which is hella expensive....I wish Cablevision got it, but even so, I can't stand their company either. Anime hyper
LightYagami

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know when Viz plans on releasing Monster on DVD's?
braves

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:57 am Reply with quote
LightYagami wrote:
Does anyone know when Viz plans on releasing Monster on DVD's?

They said a few months back that they were going to announce their plans regarding Monster "very soon". So far, no dates have been released.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1