• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken: Dragonball Evolution

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corinthian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or is Roshi wearing assless chaps?
B.Y.O.B. Kenobi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

I assume you exempted Goku from your first point, unless having a single point of articulation makes him "well articulated." The Roshi figure does look like it has a fair amount of articulation, I'll give you that. Unfortunately...

Decently painted? Uh, the Roshi figure's unpainted joints don't look so good. And the fact that his shirt pattern isn't even painted on the back doesn't look so good. And his hair isn't grey, and... ugh. He's hideious looking. Goku does look better, I'll give you that.

The dragonballs and Oozaru pieces are actually a nifty idea, but the dragonballs are out of scale, the Oozaru statue apparantly is based on an old design that doesn't even appear in the movie, and neither of those things would make up for bad figures even if they were done right.

So the first wave is fairly complete... that doesn't mean much to me. If the figures are junk, having a complete line of junk isn't exactly a good thing.

And just because they are for kids doesn't mean they should be junk.

Okay, the fast-punching Goku is ridiculous, but again, if you knew Bandai you'd know it comes with the territory.

It takes about a year to make a toy. Once it goes into production, it costs a lot to "stop the presses" and redo something that was changed in the movie all of a sudden; that's why a majority of Transformers movie merchandise depict Megatron with his first "shark monster" face.

You people are still nitpicking on toys you knew you weren't going to like to begin with. Every other bad review Rob's given had a sense of "I went in thinking it would be good, but I was disappointed." This review reeks of "I hated the movie, I already decided I hate the toys, and I just want to find a new way to sh!t on this film."

Bottom line: Rob shouldn't have reviewed these figures.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
This one made me giggle more than your last ones, the bad toy reviews are always the best.
And I think that Krasuer needs to make a guest appearance next time with these toys, either that or give the real reason for his absence.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:15 pm Reply with quote
B.Y.O.B. Kenobi wrote:

You're totally right. It's pretty wrong to make a harsh critique of toys in a column which is supposed to be entertaining.
I couldn't stop thinking of the poor product designer and the blow that he must have taken to his pride with this review; tears were streaming down my face, man.

Unprofessional, I say! Bias!
What's your problem with Moe, Rob?!?

Last edited by _Earthwyrm_ on Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Necrontry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:38 pm Reply with quote
B.Y.O.B. Kenobi wrote:

You people are still nitpicking on toys you knew you weren't going to like to begin with. Every other bad review Rob's given had a sense of "I went in thinking it would be good, but I was disappointed." This review reeks of "I hated the movie, I already decided I hate the toys, and I just want to find a new way to sh!t on this film."

I disagree, a scathing review every once in awhile is always good they are fun too read as long as there is valid reason for it to be there. Plus with a tag line of
Quote:
The Dragonball Evolution toys turn out to be as much of a smash success as the film was.
I can't see anyone expecting a good review of these toys.

Besides if you don't agree with the negative reviews you don't have to read them. But these toys look like they may satisfy as a 5 year old kid's action figure. Probably what bandai was going for. Pretty pricey though.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:

And honestly, here in Japan, Bandai is where it's AT for toy lines. At least on this side of the Pacific, they leave Hasbro in their dust. There's just simply no excuse for these figures other than, "we gave up after seeing the rough cut of this movie."

I'm sure Bandai does beat out Hasbro in Japan. Because. Hasbro. Doesn't. Actually. Release. Their. Stuff. In. Japan. They partner up with other companies (usually Takara Tomy) to distribute their products in Asia (more specifically, Japan).
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote
B.Y.O.B. Kenobi wrote:

Oh, whine whine whine.
B.Y.O.B. Kenobi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
B.Y.O.B. Kenobi wrote:

Oh, whine whine whine.

Hey, I personally think professional wrestling is a joke, but I'm not going to go out and spend money on wrestling toys just so I can drive home how much I dislike it.
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:39 pm Reply with quote
corinthian wrote:
Is it just me or is Roshi wearing assless chaps?

Either the lighting is making it look like that, or he got a bad paint job, because mine doesn't look like that.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
B.Y.O.B. Kenobi wrote:

Hey, I personally think professional wrestling is a joke, but I'm not going to go out and spend money on wrestling toys just so I can drive home how much I dislike it.

You're trying to apply some personal "rule" you've made up in your head to a column you don't write and don't work on at all in any capacity. You're also prescribing motive, and incorrectly, I might add.

Yeah, Rob knew the DBE toys would probably suck. But he was curious, so he decided to review them for his column. It's a good choice; they're out there, they're new, and they're terrible, and people love reading entertaining columns about bad stuff. Win-win.

What surprises me - or doesn't, I guess - is that people are bothering to get all defensive and whiny about this like they're oh-so-offended that he panned these things. If you have enough time to be publicly offended that someone said "man these suck!" about a bunch of mass-produced action figures based on a shitty movie, I would argue that maybe your time is better spent elsewhere.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
BleuVII wrote:

And honestly, here in Japan, Bandai is where it's AT for toy lines. At least on this side of the Pacific, they leave Hasbro in their dust. There's just simply no excuse for these figures other than, "we gave up after seeing the rough cut of this movie."

I'm sure Bandai does beat out Hasbro in Japan. Because. Hasbro. Doesn't. Actually. Release. Their. Stuff. In. Japan. They partner up with other companies (usually Takara Tomy) to distribute their products in Asia (more specifically, Japan).

I was talking about Bandai Japan and Hasbro USA. This isn't a well-researched thing; just an observation I've made as I go along. The Japanese Bandai toy lines are really good. It surprises me that the American side of things are so bad.
vermilionone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:49 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Yeah, Rob knew the DBE toys would probably suck. But he was curious, so he decided to review them for his column. It's a good choice; they're out there, they're new, and they're terrible, and people love reading entertaining columns about bad stuff. Win-win.

What surprises me - or doesn't, I guess - is that people are bothering to get all defensive and whiny about this like they're oh-so-offended that he panned these things. If you have enough time to be publicly offended that someone said "man these suck!" about a bunch of mass-produced action figures based on a shitty movie, I would argue that maybe your time is better spent elsewhere.

Now wait a second Zac. I have to disagree with you here. You have to understand context. Bandai America has always made awful toys, so if we create a context where no other comparison can be made except to other Bandai America toys, then the Dragon Ball toys don't suck, they're just mostly bad.

I think the problem is that you don't understand the concept of criticism. You seem to want to maintain that a review needs to be a well stated and hopefully entertaining opinion meant to assist people in making decisions based on inductive reasoning. You've been doing this for a while, and it should be obvious by now that a proper review strives to create as many rationalizations and justifications as needed for me to feel that my personal opinion is justified.

How unprofessional, GEEZ!
B.Y.O.B. Kenobi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:54 am Reply with quote
vermilionone wrote:
Zac wrote:

Now wait a second Zac. I have to disagree with you here. You have to understand context. Bandai America has always made awful toys, so if we create a context where no other comparison can be made except to other Bandai America toys, then the Dragon Ball toys don't suck, they're just mostly bad.

I think the problem is that you don't understand the concept of criticism. You seem to want to maintain that a review needs to be a well stated and hopefully entertaining opinion meant to assist people in making decisions based on inductive reasoning. You've been doing this for a while, and it should be obvious by now that a proper review strives to create as many rationalizations and justifications as needed for me to feel that my personal opinion is justified.

How unprofessional, GEEZ!

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but you get the idea.

Bandai (of America) DOES make awful toys...in the eyes of adult collectors. Trust me, I've heard my share of bitching on Power Rangers message boards. They're not Square-Enix; they're not Organic Hobby. Bandai's toys are made for kids to enjoy.

And Zac, if what you say is true--that Rob knew from the start these toys would suck--then let me say "congratulations" as he is the first internet toy reviewer I've read that went out of his way to track down something he knew he wouldn't like just so he could blast it in his column.

But no, forget objective reviews. Let's just all go "HUR! HE MADE FUN OF DRAGONBALL EVOLUTION AGAIN! LOL THAT MOVIE SUXXXS!!!"
Necrontry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:29 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
This one made me giggle more than your last ones, the bad toy reviews are always the best.
And I think that Krasuer needs to make a guest appearance next time with these toys, either that or give the real reason for his absence.

Even Krasuer was to ashamed to show up for these crappy toys.

the Goku hunch back sort of remind me of the old ninja turtle rip cord toys. Mind you it didn't look that bad because of the shell on the turtles provided some room for the mechanism.

Also not all the joints were black his knee joints were brown an the peg was black, meaning bandai wasn't even consistent in colour choice.
KuroNoHime

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:07 pm Reply with quote
The toys are merely keeping in line with the quality of the movie.

ot
Why is it that every time I see "Rob Bricken" I accidentally read it as "Robot Chicken"? I mean, _every time_.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4