• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Moe Monday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

And one more thing. I still don't get this whole moe thing. It's just a bunch of stereotyped girls, right?

Moe is supposed to invoke a kind of protectiveness in the viewer. If I had to compare it to something, it's the same kind of response one may get when watching a puppy or something of that nature. It's more or less used these days to describe cute characters in anime.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:15 pm Reply with quote
strawberry-kun wrote:
belvadeer wrote:

And one more thing. I still don't get this whole moe thing. It's just a bunch of stereotyped girls, right?

Moe is supposed to invoke a kind of protectiveness in the viewer. If I had to compare it to something, it's the same kind of response one may get when watching a puppy or something of that nature. It's more or less used these days to describe cute characters in anime.

Ah I see
tankerboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Necrontry wrote:
With all these good reviews I'm going to have to watch Air eventually.

Yeah, same here for Nanoha's sequels.

Btw, I have a jpg of a sheet that explains some of Air (TV)'s mystical/religious elements that can be confusing: spoiler[how Yukito and Sora are related to Ryuya and Uraha; Misuzu to Kanna ]; how reincarnation, in some belief systems, is not linear and what that means in Air; spoiler[how Sora defeated the monks' curse and how that is illustrated] and several other odds and ends. But I don't where it should or could be posted. If you want it just tell me how to make it available. It's a one page amalgam of things found posted about Air.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Ceredonia wrote:
Volume 5 *did* come out, but I checked Amazon just now and apparently it's already out of print/discontinued, likely because the box set is now out. But I know it came out, we have it for rental at work. Smile

Not officially. It was pulled before street date, so only copies that got out before getting yanked are floating around.
Koji98 wrote:
It's just going to be a big pain to get a hold of unless you want to over pay for it on ebay.

Or Amazon (or any other reliable seller.) Exactly, and watching my preorders go up in smoke (both originally and when Funi offered to put out ADV-rescue singles) ... painful.
daedelus wrote:
You should go to Bestbuy.com. It isn't available for shipping, but if you do a store availability search, you may get lucky. Two stores relatively near me have it.

Been there, tried that (not sure if I remember seeing a copy on the shelves the weekend it leaked,) but there has to be a downside from all my local stores doing well enough to not get their selection sliced, right?
grooven

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
all i have to say is my spoil another movie when it isn't realted to anime...seriously can you take that down. That just ruined the ending for a movie I have never seen....

To be fair Kanon story was created before AIR much of the story was improved on. Clannad however takes the two elements and blends them together in a better fashion if you pay attention to obvious lights and stories.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:35 am Reply with quote
What DVD Extras does Air and Kanon have? Do they have Textless opening and ending??? I am waiting for mine to come in the mail. so I want to know what to expect. Does Air the movie have any extra's? Other than Trailers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Counter Arts

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:55 am Reply with quote
I would say that Nanoha A's was more of a Giant Robot action show but replace robots with magical girls.

If the giant spoiler[spaceship], Nanoha sharing colours from Freedom Gundam, Fate having a resemblance to the gundam Deathscythe doesn't give you a hint then maybe this will.
WARNING: Spoilers for Gundam Seed and Nanoha A's in the above youtube link.

So I argue it's Magical girls for fans of gundam. If you like the action of gundam then you'll probably enjoy this.
irishninja

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:22 am Reply with quote
Counter Arts wrote:
So I argue it's Magical girls for fans of gundam. If you like the action of gundam then you'll probably enjoy this.

Oh! That is an interesting insight. That explains why my friends who are Gundam fans enjoyed it more than I did...
Kayu1111

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote
There honestly isn't one anime reviewed in this article that you could even PAY ME to sit through. One anime girl with dinnerplate eyes who runs around making obnoxious animal noises before tripping and landing on her face, that's enough to make my stomach churn. When you have an entire CAST of these girls, that's when I put an axe through my TV.
Counter Arts

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quote
So does Bamboo like Gundam? If she doesn't then I can understand most of her review of Nanoha. Still, that misunderstanding of the motives of some of the characters did feel off.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Kayu1111 wrote:
There honestly isn't one anime reviewed in this article that you could even PAY ME to sit through. One anime girl with dinnerplate eyes who runs around making obnoxious animal noises before tripping and landing on her face, that's enough to make my stomach churn. When you have an entire CAST of these girls, that's when I put an axe through my TV.

Although I wouldn't put a axe in a tv, I agree with most of your post. Nothing is quite as annoying as to hear a random "ugoo" at the end of every sentence.

But with a cast consisting of a psycho samuari, tsundere, typical-has a unknown sickness girl and a animal sound making girl, what can one expect? Even though there is a great voice actors, the show itself is horriable.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
As for the dvds this week, I'd maybe only watch Kannon, but only because Greg Ayres, Collen Clikenbeard and Chris Patton are voice actors are in the show. Not to mention Ms. Luci Christian.
Granted, I've only watched one episode and I don't intend on watch the rest any time soon.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
But with a cast consisting of a psycho samuari, tsundere, typical-has a unknown sickness girl and a animal sound making girl, what can one expect? Even though there is a great voice actors, the show itself is horriable.

I might expect that the person who wrote the first quote isn't exactly qualified to make the sort of statement found in the second quote. Rolling Eyes
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:33 am Reply with quote
Rednal wrote:
Negima... dangit, if they made an anime adaption that was faithful to the manga, focusing mostly on the action, I think it would be really good. I really enjoyed the first three episodes of Negima!? (the second series); after that, it got kind of weird, though episode seven was pretty good. But in the dub of the first series, the first time Negi talked I didn't realize he'd even spoken for a few seconds. And I heard some really bad things about the ending. I love the manga, but I'm just not interested in the animated version of this series. You'd think that given Akamatsu's popularity, they'd get enough of a budget to animate his works the right way...
The "really bad things" would be that it's an anime-original ending that's not based on the manga at all. If you see the anime without knowledge of the manga (or are open-minded about it), it works well enough. It at least works better than one of those all-too-common inconclusive "go read the manga if you want more!" open endings. And really, I don't think there's any way they could have made a manga-faithful ending in 26 episodes. For those who have seen the 2005 series and read the equivalent manga volumes, what would a good manga-based ending have been? "Oh, we're back from Kyoto. The End"?

I also don't see why Negima '05 gets such flak for not following the manga. Sure, it's got its issues (including but not limited to manga fidelity), but at least it didn't degenerate into Sayonara Zetsuyomi MoonPhoni Dash! like the 2006 series did.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Counter Arts wrote:
So does Bamboo like Gundam? If she doesn't then I can understand most of her review of Nanoha. Still, that misunderstanding of the motives of some of the characters did feel off.

What? I don't really see the comparison at all. I *love* Gundam, but I don't find Nanoha that great.
TheGotank

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, in my opinion: Kanon>Clannad>Air.

Sorry, but the ending of Air was way too abstract for me. That alone isn't bad, but I don't think they even made an attempt to explain much of it (basically the Crow's perspective, and anything past 'Goal'). As such, all we can do is establish a bunch of poorly supported theories about what the significance of certain story elements had. Overall, I didn't hate Air, because I can see that there's a complex story to be told, but I simply couldn't manage to appreciate it fully.

Kanon on the other hand, was given more time, and I felt everything was explained much better. I particularly liked how the viewer is gradually revealed with the grand theme, which basically explains everything that's happened in the story so far, and especially with Ayu's arc. It was simply a great story.

I'm surprised very few have mentioned the music so far. I especially liked Tori no Uta and Kaze no Tadori Tsuku Basho from those two series, and found he Nanoha theme songs and OST all fairly good. Music is also perhaps Negima anime's greatest saving grace. '1000% SPARKING!' remains one of my favorite theme songs to date, and Mitsumune Shinkichi's work on the first season's OST is very good!

In retrospect, I think Kyoani's approach to the 'moe' genre (at least with Key's work) is to leave the eye candy in the character designs and art, while saving the screen time for plot, which I can whole heartedly approve, compared with the likes of say... Shuffle.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7