• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mahoromatic: I'm Home! DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Wow, didn't even know that an ova of this series was created. I think the last time I watched this series was in 2004/2005. This was honestly not the greatest series, but was good enough for me back then.

This was one of the series I remember watching during the time Geneon was still branded as Pioneer. Then ADV I think had the rights, but it'd actually be Sentai who would actually be company to actually release this series.

Interesting fact though every company that licensed this series has either shut down though, even though Sentai is technically the new ADV I suppose. Even Tokyo Pop licensed the manga at one point.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Interesting fact though every company that licensed this series has either shut down though, even though Sentai is technically the new ADV I suppose. Even Tokyo Pop licensed the manga at one point.

The Mahoromatic Malus!
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:15 am Reply with quote
Bridget Hoffman!! Razz

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
This was one of the series I remember watching during the time Geneon was still branded as Pioneer. Then ADV I think had the rights, but it'd actually be Sentai who would actually be company to actually release this series.

That was just the UK branch of ADV. I don't think that counts?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:14 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Bridget Hoffman!! Razz

I share that sentiment {you meant it as a possitive, right?} and it's why I bought the "I'm Home" DVD. And I have Sentai's Mahoro releases so buying the collection was kind of pointless anyway...

It was cute and I didn't think the "maid cafe" was fan pandering, it was Mahoro pandering! Did Theron forget that she and Minawa are maids?

But still, that was kind of forced into the review; Gaggle of simpering teenage girls, hot busty teacher, two "androidish" {I always forget, was Mahoro a cyborg or an android?} maids providing in home service and least of all nudity but it's the school girls dressed as maids that gets the "fan pandering" label. Ah-huh?

It's like fan service only less direct? The whole series was made to pander, it's in the ending theme songs after all. The fact this series had depth is besides the point.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote
I was bummed that Steve Blum didn't return as Ryuga. the character had some hamtastic scenes that would have been great if Blum had delivered them. i still enjoyed both episodes though
The American Average

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote
i love how sentai got almost all the original cast back i just wish other dubbing companies would try and do that more often
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
The American Average wrote:
i love how sentai got almost all the original cast back i just wish other dubbing companies would try and do that more often

the credit goes to Bang Zoom Entertainment. they are the dubbing company that sentai went to.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I had no idea this thing even existed, but I'll be getting it.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
The American Average wrote:

the credit goes to Bang Zoom Entertainment. they are the dubbing company that sentai went to.

That's true, but some other companies often don't even use the same studio. Plus, Sentai shares offices with a dubbing studio and could have quite easily recast everyone like Funi did with Shana.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1