• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKids Pushes Back A Letter to Momo to Qualify for Oscars in 2013

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BonusStage

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
who cares about awards, it's all about quality
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
With a nomination (or if even possible anymore since Pixar came, an award), the quality will be seen by many curious others. Spreading "the quality" is always good...
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
The entire process of the oscars is pretentious as hell.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm very happy that we may get some anime in the accademy awards this year, I really don't care much for the awards though for one thing and one thing only, The people who judge it are a bunch of idiots! I mean really? Wallace and Gromit winning over Howls Moving castle? And "How to train your Dragon" over Summer Wars?! But I might just watch it just to see the winner for best animation.
nhat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:

The more advertisement, the more it's known and bought, the more stuff like this is produced.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Spirited Away's Oscar win was a true win for the anime world. It's an amazing film, and I'm glad it won. Though I did like Wallace and Gromit! Howl's Moving Castle is a good movie too. Smile
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Some Pixar movie will win the award, ergo denying Momo a win.

THERE I SAVED GKIDS SEVERAL MONTHS OF UTTER USELESS TIME AND EFFORT FOR A DEFEAT.
Bonham

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Some Pixar movie will win the award, ergo denying Momo a win.

THERE I SAVED GKIDS SEVERAL MONTHS OF UTTER USELESS TIME AND EFFORT FOR A DEFEAT.

Because Oscar nominations are completely useless to getting greater publicity and sales.

God, you people.
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
So far this year in non-anime animation, we've got The Pirates!, Brave, ParaNorman, and we still have Wreck-It Ralph and Rise of the Guardians to go.

It's gonna be a really tight year for any indie animation to make it into the nominees, and I'm already hoping ParaNorman takes it home.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:

Getting an award, or even nominated, lets self-important people on the internet throw it around as credibility that the thing they like is 'factually good' and 'well respected by critics'. You need those awards to be right, you know.

Bonham wrote:
Because Oscar nominations are completely useless to getting greater publicity and sales.

God, you people.

But do you really want to attract band-wagoners who only like something because they're told to by the quote unquote professionals?

Last edited by TitanXL on Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Regannator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
It won't even get a nomination.
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
BonusStage wrote:

Getting an award, or even nominated, lets self-important people on the internet throw it around as credibility that the thing they like is 'factually good' and 'well respected by critics'. You need those awards to be right, you know.

This only lasts for the nomination period. The winners are subject to immediate backlash.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
But do you really want to attract band-wagoners who only like something because they're told to by the quote unquote professionals?

There's not harm in that, certainly none that would be applicable were the subject at hand actually important.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
BonusStage wrote:

Bonham wrote:

God, you people.

Funny how threads like these are full of people like you who seem to react in the exact same way to EVERY thread related to the Oscars. Awards mean nothing, anime should always win, the judges are stupid idiots who don't know better than you, Oscars are meaningless, etc etc etc. It'd say it's about 95% that.

I would argue that "These awards are meaningless and dumb" is a far more self-important thing to say than being happy that a film you like has been recognized by the Academy and the film community.

Almost nobody "only likes something because they've been told so by professionals". This is a BS strawman you've constructed to drag out against anyone who does enjoy the Oscars or really anything that the film critic community generally agrees is good.
Bonham

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:27 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

I couldn't care less about bandwagoners. So much of what I like in film hasn't been seen or read by most people in the world, so it's cool if, y'know, it gets more exposure. A Michael Bay fan loving The Wire is perfectly A-OKAY in my book. If I held your suggested attitude, I would have hated Hayao Miyazaki and Evangelion years ago.

I'm more annoyed by people who use words like "professionals" and "critics" as a pejorative. It's the same kind of self-important bullshit that Zac mentions.

Zac wrote:
Almost nobody "only likes something because they've been told so by professionals". This is a BS strawman you've constructed to drag out against anyone who does enjoy the Oscars or really anything that the film critic community generally agrees is good.

A-[expletive]-men.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2