• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya novel 1

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crystal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I think there's a mistake. It credits Gaku Tsugano for the art and Noizi Itou for the original character design. Tsugano did the art, based of Itou's, for the manga and Itou did the art for this book (and the ones that followed).

I'm one of the few who follows Haruhi primarily through the novels rather than the anime. Since I read an online translation, I do intend to buy them, although I'm not sure whether I should buy this one and support the US release or buy the original to help with my Japanese . . .
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Considering how Little, Brown decided on using a simplistic cover in an attempt to attract the general audience beyond anime and manga fans, I wonder how that will fare out in the long run.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:18 am Reply with quote
Hm...the cover...

There was mention of them marketing it more towards young girls, and the cover certainly does look like those books you often find in the Young Readers section...

Hardcover it is then.

Crystal wrote:
I'm one of the few who follows Haruhi primarily through the novels rather than the anime. Since I read an online translation, I do intend to buy them, although I'm not sure whether I should buy this one and support the US release or buy the original to help with my Japanese . . .

Both! Wink
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:44 am Reply with quote
Young girls?

Are they going to appreciate reading about Mikuru's breasts?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:50 am Reply with quote
Softcover for me. I've been waiting for this to come out, now I can finally pick it up and see what's been going on with what started this whole phenomena.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:41 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Young girls?

Haha. Found the article. Well, it's been a while since I read it, so I may have remembered wrong. But the article does mention that they think it will do well with teen girls.

If anyone's interested, the manga and novel site has a preview of the novel.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:58 am Reply with quote
I've been meaning to pick this up. Can't remember why I haven't. I suspect it's because I read it before it was picked up for domestic release. Eh, I'll wait for my birthday.

What attracts me to the series so much is the glib nature of the narrator and his attitude towards all the amazing things happening around him. It's sort of like a first-person perspective on a book in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, but instead of sly socio-political commentary, it's more identifiable matters for kids that age.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:04 am Reply with quote
Funny, just ordered the hardcover version off B&N today (because the local store doesn't carry it in any form).

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:19 am Reply with quote
A note for those who are going to buy it:
The novel is being carried in the Teen/Teen Graphic Novel section at many stores. It is not in the normal graphic novel section. Also, most stores are only carrying the paper back. You will need to order the hardcover.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:44 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip, never would have thought to check that (though I do know it's being toted as a book for young readers). Though I did confirm that the local B&N doesn't have it using the store search function of the website.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:17 am Reply with quote
I'd ordered the hardcover from Right Stuf and the cover art really is gorgeous. Smile
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:30 am Reply with quote
I own the paper back copy

They didn't edit anything out, all the art work is still in there. It's just a really good book and I'm glad that sales went well as there translating the 2nd book and it will be released in the fall
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:14 am Reply with quote
I got my hardcover Thursday and I was SO HAPPY that there was no dust jacket! Because if there were it would have been ruined eventually. Anyway I read it and loved it. The only thing I want to to know is when the next book will be out Very Happy
nagato316

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:27 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
Young girls?

Haha. Found the article. Well, it's been a while since I read it, so I may have remembered wrong. But the article does mention that they think it will do well with teen girls.

Yes, I recall that article where Little, Brown Books announced that they would try to market the Haruhi light novels toward tween and early teen girl audiences. I recall there was some consternation when that announcement was first made. Based on Fronzel's observation regarding Miss Asahina's ample...uh, tracts of land...I can understand folks not exactly wanting the Hannah Montana/HSM age demographic to have too easy access to this. Other reasons were cited for this consternation, though I don't recall them at the moment.

But teen readers...Now there's the demographic that Little, Brown should/could go after with these light novels. Based on what little i've heard about the "light novel" medium, these books primarily targeted the same age demographic originally intended for, say, the Harry Potter novels. And we all know how well Pottermania went over, within and far beyond that original demographic. One can hope that the Haruhi franchise encounters even a fraction of that success by taking this approach.

Besides, what better way to wean said demo off the Twilight franchise? Wink
rxreika

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:27 am Reply with quote
I have a comment that few people will care about but it irks me so I'll say it. The novel is published by Little, Brown Young Readers; the manga is published by Yen Press. Yes, they're two imprints within Hachette, but there's still a difference.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3