• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-04-22

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:17 am Reply with quote
OW! I felt that panel! I FELT THAT PANEL!
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:20 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Asrialys wrote:
Reason why Yaoi Paddles (or any paddles) have been banned from Anime Expo. They're just asking to be swung.

Wait a second, what year did they ban them?

Last year.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:32 am Reply with quote
Keep looking, Kevin! There's sane ones out there, I swear!

irishninja wrote:
After a year or two where it had gone paddle-less, I noticed a disturbing increase in the number of yaoi paddles at this year's Sakuracon. Confused There was also a perceived increase in the amount of glomping and glomp-inviting this year, compared to the last several years. Just when I thought these fads had started to die down...

Really? I didn't see any yaoi paddles this year. Definitely, definitely more glomping though- never even heard of a "glomp circle" until this year. I probably could've gone without knowing (although it's absolutely a better option than random tackling of folks.)
errantrogue

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:13 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:

No... there're aren't. Because sane folks don't go to cons anymore.
topleka

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:38 am Reply with quote
1:53

I have nothing against people who dress up, even in ridiculous combinations of things that are not real characters (or anything for that matter). I have a whole lot against people who can't respect personal space.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:27 am Reply with quote
O_o...MY EYES ><
konkonsn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:35 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
rogue_gamecube wrote:
SEMEN COLONY!

Nope, you didn't get it correctly, although for those who can't read Japanese it could be a (barely) reasonable pun.

Aw, I thought it was a great pun. Because it reads "seme colon" like semicolon, and because *depending on what kind of yaoi you read, not that I would know* Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop the seme uses the colon...kinda...not really...ok, ignore basic anatomy, and it can be a little funny. Uke colon would be more relevant but less punny.
topleka

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:45 am Reply with quote
konkonsn wrote:
dormcat wrote:
rogue_gamecube wrote:
SEMEN COLONY!

Nope, you didn't get it correctly, although for those who can't read Japanese it could be a (barely) reasonable pun.

Aw, I thought it was a great pun. Because it reads "seme colon" like semicolon, and because *depending on what kind of yaoi you read, not that I would know* Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop the seme uses the colon...kinda...not really...ok, ignore basic anatomy, and it can be a little funny. Uke colon would be more relevant but less punny.

I think the critique here is that the word is indeed "seme" and not "semen" (and "colon," not "colony").
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
DomFortress wrote:
Silly Kevin. A gathering of people with intolerable behaviors is not a "community", it's a social deathtrap of communication breakdown. So GET A GRIP!

A community this is not...
A community this is not...
They are breaking down social orders while invading the anime fandom.
... Not community!
Laughing
Still, I'd say a good 90-95% of the behavior at anime cons is not "intolerable." It may be weird from the perspective of normals, but it's all in good fun.
I meant that in an extreme sense, because our anime fandom community are publicly accepting individuals with intolerable behaviors like "yaoi paddles" and "weeaboos" among us, by not openly confronting them and even went as far as welcoming them into our social gathering of anime convention. And that form of acceptance is not benevolence nor tolerance, it's self-pity in the form of breaking down social order within our anime fandom community, and "pity makes suffering contagious".

I'm sorry for ruining the fun by being critical, but I do care deeply about our anime fandom community, and I need to make this crystal clear.
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:01 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:

irishninja wrote:
After a year or two where it had gone paddle-less, I noticed a disturbing increase in the number of yaoi paddles at this year's Sakuracon. Confused There was also a perceived increase in the amount of glomping and glomp-inviting this year, compared to the last several years. Just when I thought these fads had started to die down...

Really? I didn't see any yaoi paddles this year. Definitely, definitely more glomping though- never even heard of a "glomp circle" until this year. I probably could've gone without knowing (although it's absolutely a better option than random tackling of folks.)

Paddles of any kind are totally banned at SakuraCon, Anime Evolution, and most major cons. You can't even get them peacebonded (a convention ritual in which you sign a statement promising not to threaten or assault anyone with your weapon).

"Surprise" glomps and flying glomps are also against the rules.

You'd think that these rules would be unnecessary to anyone with a reasonable amount of common sense, but I guess some people at cons get a little over-excited...

Confession : when I read "Seme Colon", I immediately thought anatomy not punctuation.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote
SailorButterfly wrote:
Also...I had to Google "sekushi". I'm trying to decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing...

It's just the katakana transliteration of sexy...
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:09 pm Reply with quote
purplepolecat wrote:

Confession : when I read "Seme Colon", I immediately thought anatomy not punctuation.

You can think of both.. Laughing

I went to Sakuracon this year and actually felt the typical annoying con behavior was very toned down and pleasant. I only saw one or two people with hug signs (and one was just a 13 yr old girl). I dunno.. it could be that I just didn't hang around at night long enough and was mostly in the dealer room, but I actually felt very optimistic about fandom at that con. I had the most fun I'd had in a while and felt like most everyone seemed pretty friendly and courteous. It felt more like a con from 10 years ago, personality-wise.

(but yes, they still do that weird spin-the-bottle-glomp circle in the courtyard, and that continues to unnerve me).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Kevin, be a man! If Go Nagai ever taught us anything beside men not being pussies, but being Hotblooded Towers of Furious Manhood in the service of Justice is to answer agression with even bigger aggression, a Big Bang Punch will put her/him in her place in no-time!

PS: If you aren't watching Shin Mazinger Shogeki! Z-Hen, you're missing out on the greatest anime this season, if you love hot blooded super robot action Go Nagai style you can't miss it!!!!!

And yes, I got the SEME Colon reference... Confused
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Hikikomori, Keven. It's dangerous out there.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
Kevin, be a man! If Go Nagai ever taught us anything beside men not being pussies, but being Hotblooded Towers of Furious Manhood in the service of Justice is to answer agression with even bigger aggression, a Big Bang Punch will put her/him in her place in no-time!
I do hope you meant that in a figurative sense, because the last time I check I wasn't made of Super Alloy Z. Razz

But yes, not taking a firm stance against intolerable behaviors is something to be ashamed of. And regardless you're man or a woman, you shouldn't be ashamed of something that's not your fault.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9