• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-04-22

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:11 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
Vicserr wrote:
Kevin, be a man! If Go Nagai ever taught us anything beside men not being pussies, but being Hotblooded Towers of Furious Manhood in the service of Justice is to answer agression with even bigger aggression, a Big Bang Punch will put her/him in her place in no-time!
I do hope you meant that in a figurative sense, because the last time I check I wasn't made of Super Alloy Z. Razz

But yes, not taking a firm stance against intolerable behaviors is something to be ashamed of. And regardless you're man or a woman, you shouldn't be ashamed of something that's not your fault.

I mean it, pulling bloody chunks out of actuators will put most people in their place Wink

Last edited by Vicserr on Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Poor Kevin, I hope he finds someone soon.

This reminds me all to much of my bad con experiences. I used to see yaoi paddles on sale all the time a few years back at the cons I go to, but not today, thank god. I used to go to Jacon and over there they have something called a yaoi pajama party. That thing is horrifying.

Even though I've witnessed to insanity of yaoi paddles, glomping, and "will yaoi/yuri for *" signs, I've never experienced any of that directly on myself until last year.

The Story:

I was walking back into the hotel as happy as a clam talking to my friends when all of the sudden some big guy attacks me from behind with a flying glomp! I didn't see it coming at all and he ended up hitting my head, causing this sharp pain, and almost caused me to fall over. I didn't know the guy and seeing some big smelly guy jump around all giddy with his friends giving free glomps was scary to me, being a signifigantly smaller girl. He said he was sorry if he hurt me and that he was just happy to see a Mikuru cosplayer instead of Haruhi for once, so he gave me a glomp. I was not amused but stayed polite anyway, and went on my way as fast as possible.

/end story

Note to all who cosplay Mikuru from The Meloncoly of Haruhi Suzumiya... Be ready to get sexually molested by Haruhi cosplayers at every turn as well as glomped. I only wish I was joking.

Last edited by Ari-chan on Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:47 pm Reply with quote
...I wish that was an exaggeration. I really do.
Sticks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:47 pm Reply with quote
All I'm saying is.......... Ouch! Laughing
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Ahaha... I'm hoping to meet some girls at anime cons this summer... hope it doesn't end up like this... x__x
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BrianaTheBard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I have a friend that brings her yaoi paddle to cons. Her rule of thumb for not getting kicked out? "Ask before you smack." Most guys are okay with it because I've heard that she's considered "hot."
Panda Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, I go to school with people like that. Sometime I wonder what the creators of somethings would do if they met those people.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:58 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I've been to cons a few times, but only saw a few people as bad as that. It's the hardcore video gamers that you have to watch out for, they're more obnoxious and bathe far less than the anime otaku. Though to be fair, they usually stay in one place.

Well, if you spend a couple hours on Dance Dance Revolution, you are going to smell pretty ripe, even if you bathed in the morning.

That, and a lot of games can give an adrenaline rush that leads to sweat, even if the only actual physical motion is of the hands.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I've never even heard of a Yaoi Paddle before... I guess you learn something new everyday...
...and it scares me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
I've never even heard of a Yaoi Paddle before... I guess you learn something new everyday...
...and it scares me.

I saw back in 2006 at Anaheim, these guys at one store in the exhibition hall were desperately trying to get some girls to buy one. They agreed to buy it only if one of the guys got slapped three times with it. He did, and they bought it.
GhstDreamer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I've heard of the yaoi paddle but never seen one before at the cons. Maybe it's because instead of associating with a bunch of strangers (who I don't really have an interest in or any other interest besides anime or being way older than them), I usually just make a beeline to the dealers' room and grab the manga/dvds that I can't find online. I barely even look at the cosplayers unless if the person did an amazing job with their costume. Reading the comic, the use of a yaoi paddle should be humiliating no matter what age the fan is.
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Someone like that girl needs to be told off.
irishninja

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote
evilnekohilda wrote:
As long as there are fresh crops of pubescent pre-teens being inundated into anime fandom, I believe that those particular fads will never die Neutral

Ah, good point. I guess I was hoping it would evolve into something else. Something less... I don't know... just less...

DuelLadyS wrote:
Really? I didn't see any yaoi paddles this year. Definitely, definitely more glomping though- never even heard of a "glomp circle" until this year. I probably could've gone without knowing (although it's absolutely a better option than random tackling of folks.)

Huh. Coulda swore I saw paddles there. Well nevermind then. Wink

One of the evenings I was going up the escalator and there were a group of... teens? preteens?... two boys and two girls. The boys were off to one side goading on the girls to glomp anyone who got off the escalators. I used my Old Man Glare (tm) to dissuade them from glomping me. Others around me were not so fortunate... or just more consenting.

I don't want to know what a glomp circle is. I feel a little squicked just knowing the phrase now.
For-Chan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quote
And this would be why even Yaoi-Con has outlawed yaoi paddles. They're scary and dangerous in the wrong hands! Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:48 pm Reply with quote
A wooden boat paddle would be a lethal weapon in the wrong hands. One could split a person's skull if chopped with the blade.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9