• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-04-22

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
DomFortress wrote:
Vicserr wrote:
Kevin, be a man! If Go Nagai ever taught us anything beside men not being pussies, but being Hotblooded Towers of Furious Manhood in the service of Justice is to answer agression with even bigger aggression, a Big Bang Punch will put her/him in her place in no-time!
I do hope you meant that in a figurative sense, because the last time I check I wasn't made of Super Alloy Z. Razz

But yes, not taking a firm stance against intolerable behaviors is something to be ashamed of. And regardless you're man or a woman, you shouldn't be ashamed of something that's not your fault.

I mean it, pulling bloody chunks out of actuators will put most people in their place Wink
Dutifully noted, and more than happily applied. Thanks, friend! Wink
Aux10

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Ari-chan wrote:
Poor Kevin, I hope he finds someone soon.

This reminds me all to much of my bad con experiences. I used to see yaoi paddles on sale all the time a few years back at the cons I go to, but not today, thank god. I used to go to Jacon and over there they have something called a yaoi pajama party. That thing is horrifying.

Even though I've witnessed to insanity of yaoi paddles, glomping, and "will yaoi/yuri for *" signs, I've never experienced any of that directly on myself until last year.

The Story:

I was walking back into the hotel as happy as a clam talking to my friends when all of the sudden some big guy attacks me from behind with a flying glomp! I didn't see it coming at all and he ended up hitting my head, causing this sharp pain, and almost caused me to fall over. I didn't know the guy and seeing some big smelly guy jump around all giddy with his friends giving free glomps was scary to me, being a signifigantly smaller girl. He said he was sorry if he hurt me and that he was just happy to see a Mikuru cosplayer instead of Haruhi for once, so he gave me a glomp. I was not amused but stayed polite anyway, and went on my way as fast as possible.

/end story

Note to all who cosplay Mikuru from The Meloncoly of Haruhi Suzumiya... Be ready to get sexually molested by Haruhi cosplayers at every turn as well as glomped. I only wish I was joking.

If you were to sue him for attempted rape/sexual assault, odds are you would win. Now the idea of glomping random people just makes you ask your self if they have any shame or common decency at all. Sure it would be ok if they were married/in a relationship but random people no. Now glomp circles? Sounds like a orgy waiting to happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
A wooden boat paddle would be a lethal weapon in the wrong hands. One could split a person's skull if chopped with the blade.
While hiding in a pub during a zombie outbreak can spill life and death, yes. Razz
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
A wooden boat paddle would be a lethal weapon in the wrong hands. One could split a person's skull if chopped with the blade.

And yet these young people don't realize that. Although I've only been to one convention, I had a good experience. I am the type of person who wants no trouble, so most the convention people minded their own business.

Also I don't understand why anyone would want to hit a complete stranger with a padle? For all one knows, that guy could have a gun or knife on him. Sneaking up on someone or hitting someone could be seriously dangerious.

Ari-Chan: hopefully you reported this to the police or now carry mace. I am surprized that you were polite to him, he could of easily broken your arm.
LunarianWarrior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Poor Kevin. . . Again he can't find someone for him. Either it's too much for them, or too much for him but this was funny X3 I've never seen anyone get smacked by a yaoi/ yuri paddle before. But still poor guy.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jcaliff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been to a convention in a couple of years, and one of the reasons is that the level of bat-shit crazy otaku wannabe seems to have exploded in the past 10 years or so. I'm embarressed just walking around the con hotel and have in the past taken off my nametag once out of the dealer room. I don't like the barely legal S&M costumes with people leading each other around by chains attached to collars and crap. I don't like the paddles or the signboards or the fake fighting matches in the lobby or the screaming and squeeing and glomping. I just can't handle it any more, and I don't find it fun. Sad All I want to do at cons is shop, meet up with old friends, and watch anime I haven't seen before. I guess I'm just old.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:17 pm Reply with quote
jcaliff wrote:
I haven't been to a convention in a couple of years, and one of the reasons is that the level of bat-shit crazy otaku wannabe seems to have exploded in the past 10 years or so. I'm embarressed just walking around the con hotel and have in the past taken off my nametag once out of the dealer room. I don't like the barely legal S&M costumes with people leading each other around by chains attached to collars and crap. I don't like the paddles or the signboards or the fake fighting matches in the lobby or the screaming and squeeing and glomping. I just can't handle it any more, and I don't find it fun. :( All I want to do at cons is shop, meet up with old friends, and watch anime I haven't seen before. I guess I'm just old.

I am with you on this one. When I attended a convention a couple of years ago, I just wanted to shop, lmeet actors and then hopefully get their autographs. Leading people with chains attached to them isn't normal, as well as beating people with padles.

If your old by wanting to go to a convention and not be surrounded this bizare behavior, then I must be old for agreeing with 100 percent. If I am paying money to go a convention, all I want to do shop in peace and not be bothered by people randomly yelling or jumping onto others.

I must say though, Nina was really drawn great this week Robin. Thanks for the hilarious, but well done comic this week.
sashaisme

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Cute... Poor Kevin...

...People on Youtube actually make videos of people intentionally whacking each other with Yaoi paddles...
raidou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
yaoi paddles,random assaults,and bondage Shocked
i haven't even been to my first con yet and it seems preety wild;
i guess it's better to go into war with some knowledge on the terrain than to go in blindly Neutral
scortia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for reminding me why I now go to Sci-fi cons almost exclusively.
SSJERION

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the younger crowd is crazy at cons. I'm not even with them and I get embarrassed. I've only been going to cons since I was 16 and things are different and that's only been 6 years. Well, the only way to combat such a threat is with a yuri paddle but I hate them both. lol
DomFortress

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:13 am Reply with quote
raidou wrote:
yaoi paddles,random assaults,and bondage Shocked
i haven't even been to my first con yet and it seems preety wild;
i guess it's better to go into war with some knowledge on the terrain than to go in blindly Neutral
Sun Tzu said it in The Art of War: "It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle." The same can be said when you're in a confrontation with those behaving intolerably at a convention, where the convention itself is just the terrain for a confrontation with an enemy.

An anime convention is just a social gathering for us anime fandoms, just like any other kind of convention for comic books, films, novels, TV shows and etc. But it's only at anime conventions where you'll witness those with intolerable behaviors breaking down social orders while they invading our anime fandom community. But the fandom as a whole aren't putting up much of an effort on defending themselves from the invasion, and instead they oped for self-pity by feeling embarrassed and/or ashamed of being at the same social gathering with those invaders. It's as the anime fandom community are helping themselves with this form of suffering called learned helplessness.

Well I'm done with this pathetic self-pity, which is making our anime fandom community feeling embarrassed and ashamed, while at the same time conditioning us into thinking that there's nothing we can do to help ourselves riding off these intolerable invasions. It's high time that we as the members of our anime fandom community to fight back through proper communication channels, and let those invaders know once and for all that we don't welcome their kind here in our community.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:48 am Reply with quote
Aux10 wrote:
Now glomp circles? Sounds like a orgy waiting to happen.

Surprisingly, not really- for the morbidly curious, I do have a short video of one at Sakura Con up on youtube (what can I say- I had a new digital camera with a video mode and time to kill.) Really, I think it's more of a "one angry person away from a mosh pit" kind of scenario.

While I'd never participate, I'm honestly OK with the whole idea- everyone involved knows what's going to happen if you join in, which'll help cut back on random glomping by wearing everyone out on willing participants. Also, bystanders can spot the circle and avoid rather than having to duck away from a beelining glomper heading for the Kakashi behind you.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:09 am Reply with quote
The first yaoi paddle I saw at a Dutch animecon was at Abunai 2008, IIRC. The staff banned the paddles as soon as they found out.

But now I wonder, did someone actually bother to import a paddle?

Quote:
While I'd never participate, I'm honestly OK with the whole idea- everyone involved knows what's going to happen if you join in, which'll help cut back on random glomping by wearing everyone out on willing participants. Also, bystanders can spot the circle and avoid rather than having to duck away from a beelining glomper heading for the Kakashi behind you.

That sounds like an effective way of dealing with the whole glomping thing.

I've been glomped twice. First time was by some random person who came running by while I was packing my bags on the camping grounds. I was sick, I felt miserable and wanted to go home, so it was very bad timing. Fortunatelly it was just a "light" glomp. The second time was by an aquantance and I hit the floor. She guessed I would be okay with it, but she quessed wrong. Since nobody got hurt and nothing got damaged, I didn't get angry and she promised not to do it again.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:56 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_the_Splintered_Paddle
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9