• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Video News: Crunchyroll Anime Now on ANN

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see CR and ANN offer a tiered membership plan which gives users access to both sites for a discounted price.

I've debated becoming a "subscriber" on this site and this tiered membership would be very, very tempting.
Smile

(Put this down as a suggestion for subscription services)

More importantly, I would love to see monthly reports regarding subscriptions via CR now that ANN is an additional portal for access.

This is great news and shows just how well adaptation to newer distribution models can be used at the same time giving customers what they want.

Now, someone get Shakugan no Shana 2 on the list of streamed episodes, please.
Wink
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Seems a tad pointless, akin to how FUNi's been posting roughly the same darn shows on 4 trillion streaming sites.

But whatever. I'm all for anything that decreases leeching, and hey, maybe this'll translate into increased DVD sales down the road, which means I'll still get to add to my collection despite this online frenzy.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I guess this means that ANN's postion towards piracy has changed, since that's how CR got its start.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
I guess this means that ANN's postion towards piracy has changed, since that's how CR got its start.

You obviously haven't been paying very close attention to ANN's position on piracy, then...
mozychan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:34 pm Reply with quote
mandisaw wrote:

One drawback though, is no dubs as yet, but I don't think they should offer those for free. And I've gotten used to better-quality dubs over the years, so I think they should still be produced by local/N.Am. companies, but it'd be handy to have a one-stop portal for all/most anime online, esp. cross-linked with reviews & descriptions. If the quality holds, and more relationships can be made w/ producers on both sides of the pond, I say huzzah! to ANN.

Code Geass is available here dubbed from Bandai and over at Crunchyroll it's also available dubbed from Sunrise.

-moose
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:19 pm Reply with quote
mandisaw wrote:
Anyone know who actually produces the translations/subs? I thought that such a quick turnaround would mean crappy Engrish, but the couple shows I checked out (Ristorante Paradiso & Natsu no Aichi) seemed pretty damn clear. (My oral Japanese isn't good enough to check the veracity of the translation/adaptation though.)

As was mentioned back when Bost was doing the T/L, they get the materials ~1 week in advance so it isn't that much of a rush job.

JairStout wrote:
Seems a tad pointless, akin to how FUNi's been posting roughly the same darn shows on 4 trillion streaming sites.
The difference is that each one of the streaming sites FUNi uses has their own streaming rules, regional restrictions, quality, and options. This is just an embed so there isn't that much of a difference than using the actual site.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I've been following this new trend of putting anime online legally for a little while and let me first say that I think it's a great idea. We'll have to see how it impacts the bottom for all of these companies.

However, I have a strange concern about all of the overlapping. Naruto can now be seen on CrunchyRoll, ANN, Joost, Hulu, and at Viz's on website. (I do understand that there is embedding going on here but work with me a little). This is happening with several other shows where you can watch the same episodes on a variety of websites now. While some people may see this is a great idea (and I'm not arguing), but won't people eventually gravitate towards the websites with the best resolution for the cheapest price (I won't say who I think is best). Maybe resolution isn't that big of a deal for some people, but it is for me and I find myself now watching series on one website INSTEAD of another because it has a higher resolution.

What do you think?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
I've been following this new trend of putting anime online legally for a little while and let me first say that I think it's a great idea. We'll have to see how it impacts the bottom for all of these companies.

However, I have a strange concern about all of the overlapping. Naruto can now be seen on CrunchyRoll, ANN, Joost, Hulu, and at Viz's on website. (I do understand that there is embedding going on here but work with me a little). This is happening with several other shows where you can watch the same episodes on a variety of websites now. While some people may see this is a great idea (and I'm not arguing), but won't people eventually gravitate towards the websites with the best resolution for the cheapest price (I won't say who I think is best). Maybe resolution isn't that big of a deal for some people, but it is for me and I find myself now watching series on one website INSTEAD of another because it has a higher resolution.

What do you think?

Absolutely. If most other things are equal, people will go to whatever offers them the best quality over silly things like "site loyalty" that don't really exist.
Mad Ludwig

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:10 pm Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:
Say, would it be possible to get ANN to review the various streaming services? Who has what available, what you get for the subscription rates, and (most importantly to me) what platforms are supported? I have a PS3 and would be interested to know what services would work with it since I refuse to watch on my PC, but if I can stream through my PS3 on my HDTV, I would definitely be interested! Just wondering...

So far, I've gotten FUNi's video player, crunchyroll, and ANN's video service to work on my PS3 using its browser and the players' full-screen mode.

FUNi's player's worked the best so far, with only a little bit of stuttering that's probably due to my Internet connection.

crunchyroll generally works fine, except that the edges of the picture are cropped off, which means that long subtitles get cut off short (in the case of Tower of Druaga, the subtitles got cut completely out of the screen). Not sure if this is an issue with the way the PS3 handles crunchyroll's site or with the way it's set up on my TV.

ANN's player usually works OK, but sometimes the player hangs when trying to play two episodes in a row; closing and restarting the browser usually fixes this.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quote
ANN, I never say this enough to you: I love you, man.

Thank you for adding even more to your streaming library! Smile
Caloris

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Streaming is the worst idea anyone ever had.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Caloris wrote:
Streaming is the worst idea anyone ever had.
(insert silly large number here)of fansub downloaders beg to differ.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2