• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII's Unveiling Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:22 am Reply with quote
Always love these presentations. You can tell they put a lot of thought into the themes and direction of the series.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:56 am Reply with quote
day 1 buy
Togame

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:37 am Reply with quote
13 days? Link can do it in 3.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
I gotta say that it certainly looks more interesting then XIII-2 did. I loved XIII. I know it had it's issues and was a bit to constrained but the characters and world were very interesting and well done.

XIII-2 while alot more open ended just didn't have a good story. They changed Lightning in ways I really didn't like(despite being some goddess and what not she felt like a weak character who needs her sister to help her and what not and I just didn't like that) The story was also needlessly complicated by adding characters that didn't need to be there. I liked Noel as a character but he didn't need to be there they could have just as easily used Snow in his place which I think might have made for a better story. And of course being a game about time travel there were plot holes everywhere.

This new game however at least in theory sounds alot more interesting. A part of me thinks they are just talking big and saying all this cool sounding stuff and none of it will actually live up to what they are saying but still I can't help but hope that the game ends up being something unique and interesting.
Magna_Lilly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote
It's always nice to hear creators talking so passionately about their work. But as enthusiastic as they are for their new game, there's still a chance it could suck...

Hopefully it'll end up good in the end. As long as they put more effort into it I think it could be a good game. One of my biggest problems with XIII-2 was it just didn't look as nice as the first game. The graphics weren't as good (sequels should never look worse than their predecessors in my opinion) and combat seemed less coordinated. To me that felt like the people making it didn't care, so why should I?

Anyways, this is already sounding more promising than XIII-2. The time aspect of things (how different things will be available at different times) sounds interesting to me, and it seems like they're going for a more involving and explorable world, which would be very nice. Just gotta stay optimistic and wait for the final product.
adam_omega

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Togame wrote:
13 days? Link can do it in 3.

Link had to keep using his ocarina to wind back time, so from Link's actual POV, it took him a lot longer than 3 days. (You could spend three days in the last temple alone.)
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I heard a lot of negative reviews about 13 and they're making a sequel? I guess that would make sense if it was planned before the original's release but still...
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
I heard a lot of negative reviews about 13 and they're making a sequel? I guess that would make sense if it was planned before the original's release but still...

It actually got quite a number of GOOD reviews when it came first came out. I think it averaged 8 on a number of review sites.

It wasn't until after it came out that people started jumping onto the hate train.
animegamingnerd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote
i think there are way more games square enix should made before even consider another 13 game
kingdom hearts 3
versus 13
the world ends with you 2
a new IP
making a final fantasy like 4 or 6 (my personal favorites)
a third chrono game (this should have happened years ago)
not porting every one of there god damn games
OniTasku

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I really wish SE weren't so hellbent on redeeming the FFXIII name. Sometimes...it's just best to move on (and finish current projects).

Sure, I'll probably buy it, since Lightning was my favorite character from the series. FFXIII-2 was pretty fun, though I couldn't care less about the story itself.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Remember when Versus XIII was going to be a video game as oppose to a wishful thought that Nomura would love to produce one day if he ever gets the time? Those were the good ol' days.
Regannator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Lol, this has become practically a self-parody.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's a good thing I never hype up or look into video games. I don't even know what VS 13 is or why people like it so much. I generally just pick games up as they come out. I didn't even know about Guild Wars 2 until my friend told me like 5 hours before it came out.

Reibooi wrote:
I liked Noel as a character but he didn't need to be there they could have just as easily used Snow in his place which I think might have made for a better story.

I don't see how given Noels' relationship to Caius, Yeul, and Etro herself. Snow can't replace him for those big plot details.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Regannator wrote:
Lol, this has become practically a self-parody.

I wouldn't call FFXIII self-parody, but it really did feel like a lot of the prior tropes were taken to extremes during the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1