• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal II to Debut on October 7 in New Timeslot

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
White Lightning Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

That seems a bit.. [insult removed]. I don't consider 'toyetic' a valid reason to consider something a 'lesser' show. Especially when most anime is made to sell a product or merchandise to begin with.

It's less that I consider it a "lesser" show and more that toyetic shows tend to be pretty terrible. I've watched a TON of them and find that very few of them are on par with some of my favorite anime that aren't trying as hard to sell things. Don't get me wrong, I know well and good that most anime are made to sell things, they just typically do a better job at being a show beyond that.

Quote:

Capsule Monsters doesn't exist as far as most fans are concerned, given it's a 4Kids produced spin off and not canon with the anime continuity. Then again, 5Ds is in limbo as well given the rumors Zexal may have replaced it given the director's comments on Twitter, but nothing official has been stated.

I mainly compare it to Frontier because how Frontier abandoned the 'partner' aspect of Digimon in favor of making the kids turn into the Digimon Kamen Rider/Super Sentai style and is such a different format. An interesting gimmick, but it seems most people didn't like the deviation.

Likewise, 5Ds stands out from the others given:

-Yusei is actually pretty confident/pro at dueling (Compared to Yugi, Judai, and Yuma who either suck at dueling, are considered the underdog, or have self confidence issues)
-Yusei has no otherworldy entity of questionable morality bonding with him. (Yugi has Atem, Judai had Yubel, and Yuma has Astral. Judai also has Daitokuji's spirit too in the end I guess if you count that.)
-Yusei has no humanoid signature monster with a fan-favorite female side kick. He has a dragon, which is usually what the YGO rivals have (Yugi had Black Magician/Black Magician Girl, Judai had Featherman and Burst Lady, and Yuma has Gagaga Magician and Gagaga Girl)
-Yusei doesn't have a Kuriboh mascot which helps him duels at certain times (Yugi has Kuriboh, Judai has Winged Kuriboh, and Yuma has Kuribolt)

Looking at that, you can kind of see why YGO fans consider it an oddball out of them all. And in that case, I suppose Zexal is similar to Xros Wars in that both of them largely return the franchises to their original format and were pretty popular.

I was under the impression that Zexal might be an alternate universe due to the way that the show seems to be playing with the idea of those. 5D's continued from GX's plots and themes at the end, so this could be a way of continuing 5D's after they prevented a "dark future" scenario.

I suppose you could look at that way as a "return to form". However, I'm going more into how 5D's had deeper themes than the previous shows (Well, Duel Monsters was pretty consistently about letting go of the past and moving on from death, but the show was so bloated those themes were lost on many) in the same vein as Tamers did.

Zexal screams "different" to me because the characters are extremely simple, the designs aren't reminiscent of previous series barring a few characters (Such as Astral), the show lacks themes (As I mentioned with 5D's and DM, although even GX eventually got into that sort of thing) and it seemingly "reboots" the franchise by shifting to a universe with AR tech instead of KC's Solid Vision. The show just doesn't seem "Yu-Gi-Oh!" to me. It feels more like Beyblade with trading cards, but that seems like slight at Beyblade...
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
White Lightning Alchemist wrote:
I was under the impression that Zexal might be an alternate universe due to the way that the show seems to be playing with the idea of those. 5D's continued from GX's plots and themes at the end, so this could be a way of continuing 5D's after they prevented a "dark future" scenario.

Alternate universe seems like a nicer way of saying "we're ignoring 5Ds" by the producers. All we really know is Yugi and Judai were established in Zexal, but there's been zero mention of Yusei so far, and the director's comments of "there's a reason for that, but I can't say"

Quote:
I suppose you could look at that way as a "return to form". However, I'm going more into how 5D's had deeper themes than the previous shows (Well, Duel Monsters was pretty consistently about letting go of the past and moving on from death, but the show was so bloated those themes were lost on many) in the same vein as Tamers did.

I didn't really notice any 'deeper' themes in 5Ds that weren't present in the other series, what themes were you thinking of specifically?

Quote:
Zexal screams "different" to me because the characters are extremely simple, the designs aren't reminiscent of previous series barring a few characters (Such as Astral), the show lacks themes (As I mentioned with 5D's and DM, although even GX eventually got into that sort of thing) and it seemingly "reboots" the franchise by shifting to a universe with AR tech instead of KC's Solid Vision. The show just doesn't seem "Yu-Gi-Oh!" to me. It feels more like Beyblade with trading cards, but that seems like slight at Beyblade...

Zexal has quite a number of themes, though, the two big ones are family and revenge, and how both of them intertwine. The huge parallels between Tron, Faker, and Kazuma carrying over into their children trying to kill one another and treating their children like pawns in their petty arguments is pretty major. The scene where Yuma denounces Faker and Tron by saying they're acting like stupid adults with no regard for the next generation and how he'll clean up their mess is pretty cool.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:55 am Reply with quote
So this is how Yu-Gi-Oh! tries to copy Pokémon Best Wishes Season 2? xD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Alternate universe seems like a nicer way of saying "we're ignoring 5Ds" by the producers. All we really know is Yugi and Judai were established in Zexal, but there's been zero mention of Yusei so far, and the director's comments of "there's a reason for that, but I can't say"

I didn't really notice any 'deeper' themes in 5Ds that weren't present in the other series, what themes were you thinking of specifically?

Hmm, sounds like it COULD be plot related then.

As for deeper themes, the social conflict in 5D's was far more interesting than what I've seen in Zexal, of course I've only seen 27 episode of Zexal, but 5D's did a LOT more in it's first 27 episodes. We essentially have the lower class ghettoed off from the rest of the city and we get to see Yusei using dueling to break those social barriers (Although this comes far too easily as I've stated my disdain for episodes 90+ where the show got way too simplistic as Zexal seemingly is). Even if he's doing it inadvertently as he has no longing for fame and fortune, he just wants his friends back.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:42 am Reply with quote
Guess we'll have to agree to disagree in that regard. Zexal doesn't have social conflict, but today's episode posed a nice plot twist/question for morality. spoiler[Would you kill an innocent person in order to save your son's life?]. It also set up the second season and is matching the summary they provided for it, so I can't wait to see where things go from here after they finish off the first season's villain. I will say Shark is pretty badass though, spoiler[got stabbed in the gut with a knife and is currently bleeding to death, but still has the strength to duel and still act cocky and confident while doing so.]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:41 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Guess we'll have to agree to disagree in that regard. Zexal doesn't have social conflict, but today's episode posed a nice plot twist/question for morality. spoiler[Would you kill an innocent person in order to save your son's life?]. It also set up the second season and is matching the summary they provided for it, so I can't wait to see where things go from here after they finish off the first season's villain. I will say Shark is pretty badass though, spoiler[got stabbed in the gut with a knife and is currently bleeding to death, but still has the strength to duel.]

Okay, I'll admit that that DOES sound more interesting than what I'm on right now, however, it's going to be awhile before I get to that point. So far I've only liked the first two Kaito episodes so whatever has a similar tone to those I might enjoy.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Kaito has a main role in the story, so yeah, there will be more episodes like that.

I also just noticed 27 is also where the dub is. Please tell me you're not judging it based on the 4Kids dub.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Kaito has a main role in the story, so yeah, there will be more episodes like that.

I also just noticed 27 is also where the dub is. Please tell me you're not judging it based on the 4Kids dub.

I watch both and try to keep up with the official release (I can't stand piracy) so I've only seen the first 19 subbed, the 4kids version is worse, but the original isn't much better. The acting is music are far better in the original, but those are really the only things the show has going for it. The story is exactly the same in both versions unlike some ridiculous changes 4Kids has made. That said, yeah, it's a horrendous dub that isn't doing an already terrible show any favors.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
The one episode of the dub I saw completely rewrote Shark's backstory (Sister is alive and well and talking, surprisingly enough) and rather than IV revealing he's the one who caused Shark's sister's accident to get Shark to enter the Duel Carnival, he instead calls him a loser which makes Shark mad so he enters. Amazing writing right there. No real surprise you don't see any of the themes when 4Kids always removes them all, sadly. Their work on the original series and GX is just as terrible. Piracy is the only way to actually see the true Yu-Gi-Oh series.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
The one episode of the dub I saw completely rewrote Shark's backstory (Sister is alive and well and talking, surprisingly enough) and rather than IV revealing he's the one who caused Shark's sister's accident to get Shark to enter the Duel Carnival, he instead calls him a loser which makes Shark mad so he enters. Amazing writing right there. No real surprise you don't see any of the themes when 4Kids always removes them all, sadly. Their work on the original series and GX is just as terrible. Piracy is the only way to actually see the true Yu-Gi-Oh series.

I just said I watched the fansubs up until the dub started airing, that's the first 15 I believe, and then I started watching the subbed episodes that are on Hulu. 5D's is also available subbed. They still change card names (Which unfortunately the manga translations do as well), however the official subbed release is still a perfectly viable way to watch the show. Yeah, I felt that I had to pirate the shows too with Duel Monsters and GX, however we now have legal subbed releases as slow as they are, and I'd rather support those so that we might get more legal subbed releases in the US.

Anyway, I agree that the dub changes stuff, but the subbed show isn't really a good show thus far either...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2