• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Persona 4 Arena

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Regannator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:35 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
But for some reason people being there for the plot is...wrong? Why?

Because it's so supremely boring and haphazardly presented that it dulls the product altogether? It lessens what it could've been more, simply because so much attention and detail is given to a story mode only 10 people will give a damn about. And even those who do have a genuine interest, and I've seen this s**t all over message boards and review comments, got bored of the story one character play-through in that they don't even bother finishing it.

What the hell is the bloody point of a robust story if they can't present in a way that's supposed to be appealing, or hell, at the least give some incentive. It's kind of like this: They're making a fighting game (overall medium-sized fanbase), geared towards JRPG fans (overall small-sized fanbase), by presenting it as a visual novel (overall hilariously miniscule-sized fanbase)?

Does not compute. Fail logic anomaly detected. One step at a time, they dwindle down the game's target audience and alienate the rest. And, once more, because so much is put towards the story, than anything but online and arcade/score attack is non-existence, that the game simply doesn't last long. In the competitive fighting game circle, that's suicide from the get-go. In the casual fighting game crowd, it's basically a "lolwut?"

Last edited by Regannator on Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:38 am Reply with quote
Regannator wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Because it's so supremely boring and haphazardly presented that it dulls the game altogether.

Well, I haven't played it, so I can't speak for it myself, but until now I've heard nothing but praise for the plot from Persona fans.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:35 am Reply with quote
Regannator wrote:
Does not compute. Fail logic anomaly detected. One step at a time, they dwindle down the game's target audience and alienate the rest. And, once more, because so much is put towards the story, than anything but online and arcade/score attack is non-existence, that the game simply doesn't last long. In the competitive fighting game circle, that's suicide from the get-go. In the casual fighting game crowd, it's basically a "lolwut?"

It's gotten no shortage of attention from fighting game players (it's more or less replaced BlazBlue for some players of that series, at least until the next version of that is out) and it's gotten perhaps more attention than usual elsewhere due to the popular brand.

Fighting game players will tend to ignore the story or not get into it until later as long as they like the game itself. Nothing new there. You don't have to be an expert in the expansive Guilty Gear lore to play it really well. So I'm not sure where there's an issue for them.

Opinions on the netcode I've seen (after the quick 360 patch of course) have largely been good, at least as good as BlazBlue which has been considered to be better than most, so I don't know where you're getting that from. It seems good to me, anyway. If anything, it sounds like some people take issue with story mode's pacing more than anything else, so...I'm not seeing how having a story mode hurt the fight game part.

Arcade mode is arcade mode, and it's there, not much to say. I'm also not sure of the last time anyone cared deeply about score attack in a fighting game.
The Lost Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:59 am Reply with quote
Having two fanbases adds, not divides lol. You don't need to be a fan of both the story and fighting. Some will buy it because it's a fighter, some will buy it because of the story. Fighting games are quite a big thing thanks to marvel vs capcom.

What I hate is that Australians have to wait so long to get this game. I see all of these combo videos, people have practically mastered the game already.

also... TTT2 is coming!!!!!! Very Happy
terminus24

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:39 am Reply with quote
I'm quite interested in this game, as I absolutely love Anime Fighters and JRPGs (although I've only played 2 SMT games, Devil Survivor Overclocked and Imagine), although I'll have to wait a bit for this one due to Dead or Alive 5 coming out this month and a few anime series I've been wanting to get are coming out next month...

Anyways, I recently got Blazblue: Continuum Shift Extend, and I'm just wondering if this game has even close to as many features as Blazblue, such as Score Attack, Abyss, unlockables and such, or if it's mainly just the story mode, arcade, and online.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:48 am Reply with quote
Regannator wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Because it's so supremely boring and haphazardly presented that it dulls the product altogether? It lessens what it could've been more, simply because so much attention and detail is given to a story mode only 10 people will give a damn about. And even those who do have a genuine interest, and I've seen this s**t all over message boards and review comments, got bored of the story one character play-through in that they don't even bother finishing it.

What the hell is the bloody point of a robust story if they can't present in a way that's supposed to be appealing, or hell, at the least give some incentive. It's kind of like this: They're making a fighting game (overall medium-sized fanbase), geared towards JRPG fans (overall small-sized fanbase), by presenting it as a visual novel (overall hilariously miniscule-sized fanbase)?

...I think you're looking at it all wrong.

Most fans who will buy this are already fans of the JRPG itself, which is driven by what? The story and characters. The fighting is second. Hell, I wouldn't have even bought this gamevif it was just another boring fighting game like Soul Calibur. I seen enough of those. However, upon hearing it's a continuation of the original JRPG itself (And even a mix of characters from P3 and P4), I was all over it. I could care less about fancy combos or how fast the gameplay is if it doesn't drag me into it with its story.

Personally, I scratch my head at people who play JRPGs for the fighting itself, saying the story doesn't matter.... JRPGs are are driven by the stories and in P4A's case, they just made it the same. A fighting game driven by story, even if it is a bit repetitive. It happens to break the dull storymode of other fighting games out there.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:29 am Reply with quote
Regannator wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Because it's so supremely boring and haphazardly presented that it dulls the product altogether? It lessens what it could've been more, simply because so much attention and detail is given to a story mode only 10 people will give a damn about.

Are you serious? This is a fighting game based on a very popular RPG. Many RPG fans aren't fighting game fans, so they're drawn to it just for the story mode. How is this hard for you to comprehend?
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:39 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
The story mode itself took about 35 hours and I've barely touched anything else yet, I dunno if I will though.
...How? I finished it in maybe 15.
Henry Jones wrote:
and I could have a whole game about Elizabeth just messing around
I would play this game.

I liked the story mode. The story is fun, though it does drag, and provides a good environment to just get used to the game since you get breaks in between matches. I've played a reasonable number of fighting games in the last few years (though I can't say I'm good or anything), and P4A definitely stands out.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
The story mode itself took about 35 hours and I've barely touched anything else yet, I dunno if I will though.

Did you just rush through it while skipping all the audio or something? I play visual novels with auto always, so thats how I got that much time out of it.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Saffire wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Did you just rush through it while skipping all the audio or something? I play visual novels with auto always, so thats how I got that much time out of it.
I wouldn't say I rushed through it, but I certainly don't listen to all of the audio so maybe that's it.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote
I loved the fact they gave us dual audio, so I wanted to hear it all I could. The Japanese voices are much better to me than the originals... like I can't stand hearing Labrys' voice when I tried a couple online matches against people who use English audio. Its some weird New York accent or something, while she sounds a lot cuter in the Japanese with Ayane Taketatsu voicing her (Kirino from OreImo and Azusa from K-On). Not to mention that Rie Kugimiya is my favorite seiyuu, and I also love Yui Horie and Maaya Sakamoto. Basically it was a true eargasm to finally hear a full game with the original seiyuu instead of that dub only business.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
The Boston accent was to approximate the original's Kansai-ben. A lot of the dub users I know like it, so...
Meygaera

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I never planned on getting this game. Not a big fighter gamer. Now that I hear it actually has a plot continuation of its mothership title, then maybe I will get it now.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Regannator wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
To me, the story mode is the best part of the game, and the fighting is 2nd.

No offense...but you bought this game for every conceivably wrong reason.

I haven't played P4A so maybe I'm wrong here, but isn't that like saying you've bought the wrong game if you didn't think the driving force behind Catherine (the game) were the puzzle stages? I think I can see exactly where RyanSaotome is coming from.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
The Boston accent was to approximate the original's Kansai-ben. A lot of the dub users I know like it, so...

I figured it was this game's equivalent to Kansai-ben. And man, is it great. Much better than what lots of studios do (ie Southern Accent). My main exposure to Persona 4 prior to this game was the anime though (and I have P4G on pre-order), so I'm mostly playing through with the Japanese audio.

And yeah, count me towards the people who bought it for the story and the story alone, even though the actual fighting is fun too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3