• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How about a general/chat forum for average users?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:24 am Reply with quote
For a long, long time there was an FAQ question that stated:

Q: Will there ever be an off-topic forum?
A: No.

We decided to make it a perk of the community subscription, but otherwise, that answer still stands.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Quote:
No offense, but why would I pay just to chat?

Because we are such a great bunch of people that it is worth the money to talk to us?? I take it you are not buying that.

Actually what you are paying for is the ability to use ANNs bandwith to discuss things that are not necessarily anime related. It is a special benefit.

If your chat is anime related, it probably has a place somewhere in the Anime forum.

There are other benefits. Subscribers can turn off the ads and buttons in their settings. Subscribers also often get first dibs and previews on site changes or new content coming out. We have subscriber give aways from time to time as well. Zac is actually pretty cool about that and often giving stuff away. Plus subscribers also get to use the fast server so your speeds would be a bit quicker. Especially if you stream stuff from ANN. Obviously you also get to use the Community Forum which is for all topics other then anime, though you can discuss anime there too. We also can discuss more adult topics with a PG-13 rating and not just PG like in the rest of the forum heh. And you get to help support a site that hopefully you enjoy and want to succeed. So it's more then just paying to chat.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I've got a great idea for a general section. How about you guys create a Community section for non-subscribers while having the Community section for subscribers remain. That way,everybody wins,everybody's happy. What do you guys think about that?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Laughing What a fabulous idea! Why didn't ANN think of that earlier???

Oi vey.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I've got a great idea for a general section. How about you guys create a Community section for non-subscribers while having the Community section for subscribers remain. That way,everybody wins,everybody's happy. What do you guys think about that?

No. There will be no off-topic / community section outside of the subscribers area.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1--
I continue to cherish the idea that no question is ever stupid. Unfortunately, however, I find your question to be (at a bare minimum)..... painful. Did you not read tempest's response at the top of this page?! I am going to stop here because it is not my place to remonstrate with you; but please pay careful attention to what the administrators and moderators write.
randomuser2349

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
For a long, long time there was an FAQ question that stated:

Q: Will there ever be an off-topic forum?
A: No.

We decided to make it a perk of the community subscription, but otherwise, that answer still stands.

Oh, OK then.
Sorry.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Snomaster1 wrote:

No. There will be no off-topic / community section outside of the subscribers area.

Even if Tempest and Zac got brain raped by mind probing aliens and decided they would allow such a thing, doing so would take away the whole point of the Community section's forum. They would then need to provide something else for subscribers to make sure subscribers were getting adequate compensation for the financial contributions. That means either spending time or money, or both, on something else. So even if you got them to agree to Community section for non-subscribers you'd be even harder pressed to get them to tackle the second issue.

Long story short as I said it would simply defeat the purpose of a subscriber community section which is enough reason by itself to say no.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2