• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Viz Signature Line Now and the Future

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
driverstart

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:40 am Reply with quote
Viz Signature is basically a manga line for the more older type of readers. Most of the manga is either horror or thriller with intense violence. Not that I have a problem with that, I read two of the mangas from that line.

Currently, there are only four stories in line that are still continuing. They are:

1. Naoki Urasawa's Monster (9 out of 18 volumes are currently released)
2. Golgo 13 (9 out of 13 volumes are currently released)
3. The Drifting Classroom (6 out of 11 volumes are currently released)
4. Vagabond (25 out of 26 of volumes are currently released)

Also, as a plus for fans or anyone interested in Vagabond, Viz has rereleased volumes one through four. That caught my attention. Surprised

Also, this fall, Gyo and Uzumaki are being rereleased into their second edition verisons under the Viz Signature line as well! Both will be release on October 9, 2007. Smile

One last thing, TEKKONKINKREET: Black & White is being released into Viz Signature line as well. If it is a novel or all three volumes combine, it will be released September 25, 2007 at an American price of $29.95. Start saving up!
CorrosiveMeso

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget Phoenix. It used to be editor's choice, but is now part of the signature line and the final volume is going to be released in September. Several of the volumes are out of print, though.
driverstart

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:27 pm Reply with quote
CorrosiveMeso wrote:
Don't forget Phoenix. It used to be editor's choice, but is now part of the signature line and the final volume is going to be released in September.

Yeah I know, as soon as I started this forum, I remembered Phoenix. Besides the one coming in September, there is still just one left. Just volume 12 is left, but there is no word on when the volume is coming out.
CorrosiveMeso

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Really? I didn't know they announced twelve volumes. I know that the shorter and older shonen stories are still left, but I didn't think Viz would publish them, especially because the series hasn't done too well.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:53 pm Reply with quote
driverstart wrote:
One last thing, TEKKONKINKREET: Black & White is being released into Viz Signature line as well. If it is a novel or all three volumes combine, it will be released September 25, 2007 at an American price of $29.95. Start saving up!

It's a three-in-one omnibus volume, and actually has added value for money because the page size is bigger, it's got color inserts, and there's a bonus interview with Michael Arias (who directed the movie).

yah, picked up an advance copy at Comic-Con. Very Happy
LightYagami

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:08 pm Reply with quote
What is the difference between the first edition and the 2nd edtion of Vagabond, besides the price?
smoochy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Black and White is what I'm most interested in, other than completing Monster, as I didn't pick them all up the first time Viz released em.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Viz is neglecting their Signature badly. I bought all of them at some point or another and will continue to buy all except Golgo 13, Uzumaki, and Gyo. It's ridiculously annoying that Viz, who is probably raking in the most dough out of all the English language manga companies due to their Shonen Jump/Advanced lines, but won't take chances with material that we won't get otherwise. Because of their relationship with Shueisha and Shogakukan, it's harder for other companies to bring over amazing titles that we'd never see otherwise.

They're certainly not Dark Horse or Del Rey anymore, that's for sure.

driverstart wrote:
Besides the one coming in September, there is still just one left. Just volume 12 is left, but there is no word on when the volume is coming out.

Is there even a twelfth volume for Phoenix? Sure, there's twelve stories, but occasionally you have two in one volume, and in others you have them over multiple volumes. Is "Sun Part 2" all of that story, or not?

Patachu wrote:
yah, picked up an advance copy at Comic-Con. Very Happy

Oh, Carlo, you lucky bastard.

Edit: Typos are bad, kiddies.

Last edited by HellKorn on Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
driverstart

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:45 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Is there even a twelfth volume for Phoenix? Sure, there's twelve stories, but occasionally you have two in one volume, and in others you have them over multiple volumes. Is "Sun Part 2" all of that story, or not?

I say there is a 12th volume only because I saw on a website that there were 12 volumes made in the series and in Septmember, Viz is going to release the 11th volume. So I just figured volume 12 would be coming out. Confused
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:42 pm Reply with quote
driverstart wrote:
I say there is a 12th volume only because I saw on a website that there were 12 volumes made in the series and in Septmember, Viz is going to release the 11th volume.

Assuming this website is legal, would you mind giving a link?
Dranxis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was twelve volumes too, according to this website:

http://www.animeondvd.com/specials/manga/compcharts.php?view=all

Course, the US release could be numbered differently...
CorrosiveMeso

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure there will only be eleven volumes. The French version is almost exactly the same (volumes 3 and 9 have a couple of the stories switched), and it split Sun into two volumes. The only possible option for the twelth volume would be Phoenix Egypt, Greece, and Rome, which were earlier and shorter Phoenix stories that aren't considered to be part of the main saga, and I doubt Viz would bother to publish them.

By the way, HellKorn, what series is your avatar from? It looks like Inio Asano's style, but I'm not sure.
TSC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:38 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Viz is neglecting their Signature badly. I bought all of them at some point or another and will continue to buy all except Golgo 13, Uzumaki, and Gyo. It's ridiculously annoying that Viz, who is probably raking in the most dough out of all the English language manga companies due to their Shonen Jump/Advanced lines, but won't take chances with material that we won't get otherwise. Because of their relationship with Shueisha and Shogakukan, it's harder for other companies to bring over amazing titles that we'd never see otherwise.

They're certainly not Dark Horse or Del Rey anymore, that's for sure.

Agree. They never seem to promote their Mature title line like they do with SJ or the shoujo line. Also most, with exception of Monster, all seems to be manga already in Viz and/or use to be and now coming back. Which is good. I'm not saying that is bad especially the news on Black and White, Uzumaki, and Gyo. However they should consider getting new ones too.

Many of Viz older titles were alot more seinen thnak to manga being niche market back then. Now not the case and they look to tweens for the market.

CorrosiveMeso wrote:
I
By the way, HellKorn, what series is your avatar from? It looks like Inio Asano's style, but I'm not sure.

it's from Nijigahara Holograph. Pretty damn good, but can be bit confusing.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:59 pm Reply with quote
@TSC: I think the general problem is that Viz is solely building their Signature around previously established niche or tie-ins. Tekkon Kinkreet is only getting a re-release because of the upcoming film adaption released by Sony, and Uzumaki and Gyo are being brought back due to the recent horror trend (which is ironic as Dark Horse has canceled many of their horror titles, but I guess The Drifting Classroom must be selling well for Viz in spite of it all). Vagabond and Phoenix are continuations from their Editor's Choice lines, and I'd suspect that they simply want to be able to say that they finished the latter (perhaps also capitalize on the Tezuka push ever since Vertical did a phenomenal job with Buddha). Golgo 13 and Monster I will give them credit for, though the latter seems to be built around Internet notoriety and a future "Urasawa franchise."

So where does that leave us seinen fans who hunger for the seinen manga, particularly the hyper-violent series that are some of the best manga to ever be created? We can only hope that Dark Horse finds a way, otherwise Viz is just sitting on those titles.

CorrosiveMeso wrote:

To confirm what TSC stated (who I introduced to the manga a little while ago), it's Suzuki, the main character from Nijigahara Holograph. It's kind of nice to see someone mention Inio Asano around here aside from Kagemusha and myself.
CorrosiveMeso

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I thought it looked familiar. Yeah, I liked Nijigahara Holograph a lot. I'd really like to see that and What a Wonderful World licensed.

Yeah, I definitely agree. I'm a seinen fan as well, and I would like Viz to take chances and license series that aren't mainstream and that aren't cashing in on some trend. Which hyper-violent series are you referring to, by the way, HellKorn?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10