• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: 20th Century Boys GN 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pityless/Envy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I for one feel that this manga has one of the most fast-paced stories I can think of. It's a lot more fast-paced than countless others that I can think of anyway.

I might be wrong, because I haven't read it in a while, but this type of storytelling is consistent throughout the manga, right?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In one work, Naoki Urasawa pays tribute to a boyhood hero; in the other, he deconstructs the very concept of boyhood heroes (and villains), twisting it into a tense conspiracy thriller.

Actually, Pluto does this too, as it gets deeper and deeper in.

It's always interesting reading anyone's reviews of Urasawa's work here, because the volume is always treated harsher than an average work. Would anyone ask about a volume of, say, Naruto or D.Gray-man when it was going to "stop being good and become great"? It's a testament to Urasawa that he's set the standard so high for himself.

But yes, 20th Century Boys is his longest work, with the most interweaving plot lines, and he does sort of count on you trusting him to bring it to awesome fruition. And as much as I enjoyed it, I consider it the weakest of the works I've read by him for precisely that reason.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:32 pm Reply with quote
20th Century Boys is my favorite manga because it has a story that unravels throughout all of it, without you knowing everything until the end, and even then some things are left ambigious. Another element I enjoy is that no matter what the protagonists do, it's not enough; spoiler[they're playing right into the villains' hands with every step]. Disappointments and failure are big themes in the story, and are handled so well, I, for one, was not disappointed and the story wasn't a failure (though it gets a little hokey in later volumes).

It's my dream that this would someday be turned into a full-length anime series. The live-action movies seem decent, though.

I only have the first volume in my collection so far, though. I should pick this one up, but lately I've been on a Fullmetal Alchemist kick because of the new series, so my manga money needs refilling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's my dream that this would someday be turned into a full-length anime series. The live-action movies seem decent, though.

Anime series? I was thinking a live-action series that we could show on TV in the West and finally show all the fans of "Heroes" what a real complex plot looks like!
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually ok with where 20CB is going so far; and I thought Monster took forever for something good to happen. But Urasawa makes the characters interesting enough here that I don't really care if he's not getting to the action yet. Monster's characters always seemed to be obsessed with ethics instead of letting me see into their respective personalities.
fanrandom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:34 am Reply with quote
I've seen the first two movies of the trilogy and have to say I am interested in the manga now because of them. It sounds like this is an interesting series. All of his works get good reviews. If only there weren't so many volumes!
Zipper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:52 am Reply with quote
Too slow to develop lol.

Believe me, you don't want this story to develop faster than it did. The story is very delicate and calculated with tons of attention to detail, all of which is absolutely needed in order to make the story as good and as engaging as it was. It's not the type of story that you want to rush through. You're going to want to remember and appreciate everything.

But it's funny that the writer of this review sounds like he KNOWS that the story will be great, and that it's only a matter of time. Well, he's certainly right about that.
animepuppy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:35 am Reply with quote
i love this manga, and i'm so happy it's out in the U.S. ^-^
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:15 am Reply with quote
Viz's release of 20th Century Boys is my first exposure to an Urasawa work, but even after reading the first volume, I was insanely impressed. The set-up reminds me a lot of Stephen King's It, slowly introducing and focusing on the development of the characters and their childhood, rather than shoving the main plot/conflict down the readers' throat as soon as possible. I felt King made that approach work (and TBH, I never read his books for horror, I'm more into his stories and characters), and Urasawa makes it work just as well.

But then again, I treat each manga I read as one book. To me, a first volume is just the first chapter of a normal book. I wouldn't put down a copy of The Lord of the Rings after reading one chapter saying, "I thought this book was about a quest, but the first chapter is about some birthday party!", and I treat manga volumes no differently.
bluesilo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:59 am Reply with quote
I don't normally reply to the articles I read here, but this one I had too. After seeing the first movie that covers the first 5 manga, I had to own the series. I thought the movie was excellent and considering many fans of the books thought it was lacking I knew I'd like the manga. If I remember correctly there are over 20 volumes of this manga. Sure its going to be slow to start, but I'm sure its going to pick up and be the brillant manga I know it will be. I won't watch the second movie because it covers ten volumes I believe and that would ruin the ride of reading the books. Of course the pace VIZ is releasing them it will be 2012 before it is fully released in America.
nobinobita

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:00 am Reply with quote
Pityless/Envy wrote:
I for one feel that this manga has one of the most fast-paced stories I can think of. It's a lot more fast-paced than countless others that I can think of anyway.

I might be wrong, because I haven't read it in a while, but this type of storytelling is consistent throughout the manga, right?

Yup, the story never drags. There's always something interesting going on. I'm not sure what the reviewer is referring to when he talks about pacing problems.

"And really, that says it all about the story situation right now: what kind of visual narrative is this where the most memorable scene is the flashback of Kenji holding his first guitar?"

I think one of the great beauties of Urasawa's work is that he can take very small, mundane, personal things and make them feel very very grand. Getting your first guitar can be a big deal--especially when you're a kid! Stories don't have to be full of obvious drama to be of value.

For me, the slice of life approach that Urasawa takes is really riveting, and serves as a soft, idylic contrast to the fast paced thriller the comic will eventually become. I believe that is why the comic is paced the way it is.

I get a feeling from this review that the writer is trying to put on his thinking cap and grade the comic based on what he thinks it should be, vs what it's actually achieving. My fear with this approach is that it encourages people to judge things quickly and only stick to what they are already comfortable with.

I hope that the writer sticks with 20th Century Boys and sees what a wonderful thriller it becomes (although right now, it's a very wonderful romp through bygone days).

I hope some more readers are encouraged to pick up the comic and stick with it too, because quality comics need to be supported.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:15 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
But then again, I treat each manga I read as one book. To me, a first volume is just the first chapter of a normal book. I wouldn't put down a copy of The Lord of the Rings after reading one chapter saying, "I thought this book was about a quest, but the first chapter is about some birthday party!", and I treat manga volumes no differently.

Yeah, but it's easier to do that with a book, where you have the whole thing there; with 20th Century, you have to wait a month or more between volumes (if you're reading it for the first time in America) or even a week or more between chapters (if you read it as it came out in Japan). Hence the pace has to be a little different than in a regular novel. And this one, while not dragging per se, doesn't get into the meat of it for several volumes, which can be frustrating. Think about where Monster was at after two volumes, or where Pluto is. 20th Century Boys spends a lot longer on set-up.

I have a feeling a lot of us here who are poopooing the review read it in scanlations after a large amount had come out or as it was coming out, and there's a different feel reading it that way than only in the volume format. Again, I think it's a testimony to Urasawa's talent that Mr. Santos is convinced this is definitely going to go somewhere, and just wishes he could already be there.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
The set-up reminds me a lot of Stephen King's It, slowly introducing and focusing on the development of the characters and their childhood, rather than shoving the main plot/conflict down the readers' throat as soon as possible. I felt King made that approach work (and TBH, I never read his books for horror, I'm more into his stories and characters), and Urasawa makes it work just as well.

I couldn't agree more, in fact I actually got the same impression from it. I think that's why I consider this to be my more favorite over Pluto after these first two volumes (though Pluto was still dang, dang good have you). I think I just feel a lot more attached to the characters because of how compelling it is to watch their childhood stories and everything, and I just adore how much of a nostalgic feel you get from this series because of it. Every bit as compelling as Pluto has been thus far, I just don't think I quite get the same feeling from it that I do from this series thus far.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I think one of the things people don't understand is that a lot of this manga depends on you liking the characters. You can't like the characters if you don't get to know them. It's a lot like It's a Wonderful Life. You wouldn't give a damn about George Bailey if you hadn't spent the first 3/4s of the movie watching him grow up. Manga should strive to be something more than a weekly disposable form of entertainment. So what if you have to wait a week, or 2 months to get each installment. That's part of the ride.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:19 am Reply with quote
I absolutely ADORED Vol.1 of this, I think its slow character build is its strongest point (I actually worry that the whole "Friend" part will pull the whole thing down once It gets going, its a small fear though) I can't find a copy of Volume 2 yet (Arg!) but I'm chomping at the bit to get into it, to see where these characters are going.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2