• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Central Park Media Files for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:04 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
There are plenty of examples in which a dominate force has had major influences in changing the way old businesses worked.

Groan now, but a great example is Microsoft. Bitch about their products all you want, but without them, we wouldn't be here right now.

Monopoly? Some would argue yes. However, having a standard has put forth countless industries which would have never existed. Between hardware and software, this "monopoly" shows that change can be good.

To ignore Microsoft's influence in the anime world would be complete ignorance.

A couple of things are bugging me about this. First, I can't think of any positives that have come from Microsoft's dominant position, and I can think of plenty of negative things, especially if you're not using their flagship product Windows.

Second... Microsoft's influence in the anime world? What influence?
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:15 am Reply with quote
The influence that doesn't exist. Petrified Jello was making nonsensical posts about a monopoly being good. It wouldn't be good for us, the Japanese compaines or even Funi themselves in the long run. Not only that but the American anime industry is too fragile to have 2 compaines.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:59 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Secondly, the licensing model as it stands now is either needs to be gotten rid of or be [slash]reformed[/slash].

Given most of what you discussed was related to licensing issues, I'll have to say I agree with the removal of the system. I've been stating that since I registered. It's no secret the costs of DVDs have bearing to this system.

Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:

First, I can't think of any positives that have come from Microsoft's dominant position, and I can think of plenty of negative things, especially if you're not using their flagship product Windows.

You're posting on a forum derived from code designed by a programmer who has a job thanks to the work Intel and Microsoft did to bring computers to the world.

That's just one. Surely, from this, you can open your mind a bit to see just how influential computers are in the world today.

With that in mind...
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:

CGI. Coloring. Animation production. Lowered costs. Software.
Maybe influence is the wrong word here (I wrote my reply last night), but Microsoft did help bring PCs to the world. It's an indirect influence, but it can't be missed how the anime industry uses computers today.

Does this help?
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:25 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
The influence that doesn't exist. Petrified Jello was making nonsensical posts about a monopoly being good. It wouldn't be good for us, the Japanese compaines or even Funi themselves in the long run. Not only that but the American anime industry is too fragile to have 2 compaines.

I'll ignore the influence remark. It's been answered above.

But I would like more insight to your remark regarding it wouldn't be good. Can you cite reasons why or is this just your way of making a nonsensical reply.

I'm really curious about the fragile remark.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:31 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:

First, I can't think of any positives that have come from Microsoft's dominant position, and I can think of plenty of negative things, especially if you're not using their flagship product Windows.

You're posting on a forum derived from code designed by a programmer who has a job thanks to the work Intel and Microsoft did to bring computers to the world.

That's just one. Surely, from this, you can open your mind a bit to see just how influential computers are in the world today.

Giving Microsoft any credit for 'bringing computers to the world' is absurd. If MS had never existed we'd still be using computers made by the same companies as today, except the Mac OS (which predates Windows, remember?) would probably be doing better and Linux might be, too, if it was still created in that MS-less world. And we wouldn't have the most non-standards-compliant browser in history to plague web devs the world over without such an arrogant company in a position to push it on the populace. And, by the way, this forum is likely running on a Unix server like most of the Web is.

Microsoft's shoddy OSes have caused much more anguish and cost much more money in upkeep than any OSes made by any other companies, in large part because their OS is so dominant that there's no getting around it.

PetrifiedJello wrote:

Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:

CGI. Coloring. Animation production. Lowered costs. Software.

Microsoft hasn't produced any non-OS software that couldn't have been produced by anyone else. Their only claim to fame is MS Office, which is hardly a boon for creativity and art production. Most graphics in the entertainment business are made with Macs and Sun workstations for a reason.

Quote:
Microsoft did help bring PCs to the world.

They've helped ruin PCs, actually, making using a computer an exercise in frustration for millions who don't realize things aren't supposed to be that difficult. The only people who love MS are the security researchers who wouldn't have jobs without all those holes to plug.

For Pete's sake, at least pick a better example of a beneficial monopoly. I'd do it myself if I had the time and interest in taking your side.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:26 am Reply with quote
Pointless, off-topic computer snobbery. [Which has now been deleted. -TK]

Let's try to steer this back on topic...

CPM was a great place. It's shows brought me into anime way back on Saturday Night Anime on the Sci-Fi Channel, which is why it was a wonderful experience to work there. It taught me that everything I thought I knew about the anime industry as a fan was completely different from reality. Working with anime day in and out certainly tempered and refined my fandom, in many good ways and some bad. I'll never forget the friends and experiences I had, and it's sad to see it go.
shas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:13 am Reply with quote
itt petrifiedjello is a moron

</thread>

ps ubuntu 9.04 here.

pps how the hell am i gonna get those animated classics of japanese literature now. damn.
jsc315

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit sad to hear this. CPM was one of the companies that got me into so many good anime in my younger years. Chapeter 7 doesn't necessarily mean that they are out of business. It's not good that they filed for bankruptcy but They can still come back as long as there profits are good enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shii

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:26 am Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
I'm a bit sad to hear this. CPM was one of the companies that got me into so many good anime in my younger years. Chapeter 7 doesn't necessarily mean that they are out of business. It's not good that they filed for bankruptcy but They can still come back as long as there profits are good enough.
Don't get your hopes too high. If they thought they had a chance they would have filed Chapter 11 (which is what most companies do).
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:46 am Reply with quote
Yes I admit my VA dreams died a little bit after this, ADV has a habit of getting people from NY though.

I'll see if I'm able to ask Veronica Taylor how she feels about this at the Sakura Matsuri this weekend though.

I wouldn't worry about those people; the NY dubbing talent has often had other clients contacting them to do dubbing, so I don't think they're totally off the map for good. (Genshiken 2 will be coming, so those guys will DEFINITELY be back.)

-Jon T.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:50 am Reply with quote
Shii wrote:
jsc315 wrote:
Don't get your hopes too high. If they thought they had a chance they would have filed Chapter 11 (which is what most companies do).

With Chapter 7 bankruptcy a company has to cease operations, however a company can still continue if a Chapter 7 Trustee is appointed. When the trustee is appointed, they sells assets of that company and what money comes from those assets goes to the creditors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapter_7,_Title_11,_United_States_Code
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote
Yes I admit my VA dreams died a little bit after this, ADV has a habit of getting people from NY though.

I'll see if I'm able to ask Veronica Taylor how she feels about this at the Sakura Matsuri this weekend though.

I wouldn't worry about those people; the NY dubbing talent has often had other clients contacting them to do dubbing, so I don't think they're totally off the map for good. (Genshiken 2 will be coming, so those guys will DEFINITELY be back.)

-Jon T.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:22 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
With Chapter 7 bankruptcy a company has to cease operations, however a company can still continue if a Chapter 7 Trustee is appointed. When the trustee is appointed, they sells assets of that company and what money comes from those assets goes to the creditors.

I think you misunderstand what a trustee is. A trustee doesn't run the company, they oversee the liquidation. It's really hard for a company to continue to operate while everything from their live product to their computers and tape dispensers are being liquidated.

Not to mention that most rights expire immediately if the company files for bankruptcy. So let's not harbor any illusions that they could still come back from this. It's over.

Bandai is still dubbing Kurokami in both NY and LA. The NY dub scene isn't dead, but it sure isn't what it used to be.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:44 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:

I think you misunderstand what a trustee is. A trustee doesn't run the company, they oversee the liquidation. It's really hard for a company to continue to operate while everything from their live product to their computers and tape dispensers are being liquidated.

Not to mention that most rights expire immediately if the company files for bankruptcy. So let's not harbor any illusions that they could still come back from this. It's over.

Bandai is still dubbing Kurokami in both NY and LA. The NY dub scene isn't dead, but it sure isn't what it used to be.

I don't misunderstand what the trustee is. In the context I was using they are basically overseeing the liquidation of the company's assets.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

Don't forget, either, that we also have Genshiken 2 from Media Blasters coming this June. So the NY dubbing actors certainly aren't out of jobs, although I do think they won't be getting as much projects to dub as they used to. I think it'll take a slow, gradual recovery to do so.

Anyway, hearing that they're still dubbing even for companies like Bandai is reassuring.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10