• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Central Park Media Files for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
What exactly happened to CPM anyway? I mean, maybe I missed the explanation but it seemed like one day they just stopped licensing and releasing new stuff. Did they lose a major backer or were the titles they licensed just flops?

Considering this news, if anyone from the inside can give a full explanation of why CPM is now totally dead, might as well talk. It's not like the company can be hurt any more and it might give fans a little insight into what some of the threats are to an anime company.

Also, which series did CPM still have rights to when they filed the Chapter 7?

Don't have any links handy, but.....

Suncoast/Musicland closed many of its locations in 2006, and as a major retailer for anime at the time. This collapse of anime at retail is a big part of why CPM closed up, and something that affected all companies to a degree, CPM moreso since Suncoast was a major account for them. This pretty much coincided with CPM's stopping releasing new titles.

While online sales are important, brick and mortar stores are still where anime companies make the most of their business- which is why you see Media Blaster's John Sirabella frankly telling folks at AnimeonDVD that titles are delayed to better fit with BestBuy's schedule.

So basically, if anime fans want anime companies to survive, it's best to support retailers and companies by buying what you'd like, and buyinjg regularly.

In addition to these issues, you also had rising anime licensing costs [due to inflated demand that ultimately proved to not be as big as anime companies, stores and fans thought- another factor in stores like Suncoast closing].

And the legal issues relating to Be Beatiful, where many of CPM's contracts and pretty much all their catalogue, were properties from Biblos, who went under in Japan due to assorted issues. Their catalogue was taken over by Libre, who then put up a ruckus with assorted licensors of Biblos properties. In the end, CPM couldn't continue releasing these titles.

There's all kinds of other issues, but these are just some of the things that helped CPM along the way to bankruptcy, and these are the publically known ones. A lot of the stuff behind it is stuff I'm guessing they can't talk about. Anime fans need to understand that for all kinds of legal and business reasons, companies can't always be as frank as we'd like. That said, the stuff I listed above, along with the general problems all anime companies are having lately, and a poor economy affecting credit availabiliy, are all things that could of caused it.

CPM was really friendly with fans, and operated a great University Club program with Peter Tatara running it, with a regular newsletter, and lots of screeners, and were also helpful for Con support. It's too bad anime fans lost a lot of the stuff we'd enjoyed in the boom, and I hope we as fans can make things work again so we don't have to see another anime company go under.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Utena just finished an HD remaster in Japan, so this would be the perfect moment for some company to do a license rescue for sure.
xstylus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:

[very accurate post-mortum analysis]

You summed it up pretty well. Suncoast left them heavily exposed. In such a that situation, it was near impossible for them to successfully bid new titles at the prices the Japanese were asking (or were being constantly outbid), thus they didn't have anything new to keep an influx of new revenue going. It also didn't help that downloads were making acquisition of new licenses a risky endeavor and eroded pricing power.

Eventually they resorted to perpetually re-re-releasing their back catalog in sets at insanely slashed prices. I should've picked up the Utena sets back when they were $20 each at Best Buy while I had the chance.

Sadly, the situation described above also describes ADV. However, I have a feeling they'll survive though, since they've cleverly changed their business model from a license acquisition and release model to a localization service for the licensor model.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
thank u cpm for some good titles. i shall cherish them. rest in piece Sad
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Hi, this is my first time posting.

CPM was terminal ever since Musicland Group went bankrupt a couple of years back. With the rising costs of licensing, localizing & promoting titles; coupled with our crippled economy I'm suprised they didn't file sooner. Either way they'll be missed.

Central Park Media (1990 - 2009)

R.I.P. Crying or Very sad
dizzon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Central Park Media was the driving force behind my love of anime. I will miss them greatly.

Now to dull the pain the only way I know how.............a bottle of whiskey and Project A-KO. Anime dazed
kokuryu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow, thats too bad. I remember meeting them many years ago at a convention right after they had started offering the videos - we had every title they were producing out for sale and it was going great. They were truly an icon in the American Anime industry. I hope that any titles they had rights for still some companies pick up and continue to release eventually. I just blame the bad economy for their closing - its been so bad lately, I am glad just to have a job...
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
While I'm sad CPM went under, I'm glad that someone else can buy the BeBeautiful licenses now so people no longer have to pay $100 and up to buy their books on ebay.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote
My Patlabor OVA DVDs, Grave of the Fireflies DVD, and Now and Then, Here and There DVDs are all, in my opinion, great additions to my anime collection and all CPM titles. Their English dubs were beyond atrocious, but they licensed a few good titles on occasion, nevertheless. I wonder if anyone will even bother picking up some of the titles they licensed, considering their relative age to newer, more popular titles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
Wow well I guess it was only a matter of time, I don't think I own anything from them though I've seen quite a few of their licenses. Still it's sad to see them go especially since they were one of the only NY based licensors Sad
taster of pork

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote
Any company that distributes old anime will be missed by me. Hopefully someone else will continue to release them.
daedelus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:32 am Reply with quote
Truly sad news. Gall Force: Eternal Story was my gateway and I'm glad that I own everything they brought over. I feel very fortunate that I own the NTHT boxset, as well as Grave of the Fireflies and Shadow Star Narutaru boxset. I probably have more, but can't think right now.

Thanks CPM/US Manga Corp for bringing me into the fold! You will be missed. Sad
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:59 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this had to do with their decline but I noticed some bewildering choices they made like discontinuing the box sets in favor of continuing the singles (e.g. Narutaru)

J-Syxx wrote:
Utena just finished an HD remaster in Japan, so this would be the perfect moment for some company to do a license rescue for sure.

Yes that would be awesome. I guess a redub too. But I'm not sure if we'll be seeing this anytime soon considering what I'd assume is a higher asking price for the HD remaster, its very recent release and Japan's usual fears of reverse importation. I hope I'm wrong though.

Or TV Tokyo could break the mold and just release it here themselves (with the usual boxset value pricing), perhaps in lower-priced sub-only form at first like Gurren Lagann.

Speaking of which, a number of older titles have had R2 DVD or BD remasters.. the only one I can think of that made it over was Evangelion.
poisondusk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:40 am Reply with quote
It's a real shame to see them go Sad I hope some of the other BL publishers pick up some of Be Beautiful's licenses - Yamane Ayano's Finder series is extremely popular among fans, but has been impossible to get hold of officially in English for a long time.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:54 am Reply with quote
I'm glad I got my Outlanders DVD before CPM finally went down in flames. Perhaps a phoenix will be born from the ashes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10