• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Central Park Media Files for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:35 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
My Patlabor OVA DVDs, Grave of the Fireflies DVD, and Now and Then, Here and There DVDs are all, in my opinion, great additions to my anime collection and all CPM titles. Their English dubs were beyond atrocious, but they licensed a few good titles on occasion, nevertheless.

Patlabor, I can understand since it was done by an amateur studio, but the other two titles you mentioned? They were better than most dubs they've done and can be considered good quality even today. The only thing about Now and Then, Here and There is that the kids sounded a little older than they really were.

I forgot mentioning this before, but what I also liked about CPM is that they put a lot of love into their DVD releases, in that they spiffed up the menus and made sure there were plenty of special features accompanying the series itself, which you just don't see quite as much nowadays for many reasons.
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:11 am Reply with quote
I've got all of Utena, as well as Lodoss, World of Narue, Slayers (switched to Funi thinpaks and gave the originals to a friend to conserve shelf space), Nightwalker, and Outlanders.

But I don't have Project A-ko or Descendants of Darkness, which have climbed out of my price range (some would say back to original retail price). As I had gotten Battle Angel cheap from a local store before its reprint, I'm just going to keep on hoping that they end up being traded in to a place that isn't so quick to slap the Amazon price on it without realizing that maybe the stuff on Amazon has been sitting there for several months, and that there's a reason for that.
MH Knights

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:20 am Reply with quote
Good thing I picked up my Votoms and Patlabor sets when I did. Though I wouldn't mind someone rescuing Patlabor and rereleasing the series in Thin-Pak format or some huge box set.

Unfortunately with the state the industry is in and the age of a lot of CPM's catalog I do not see too many rescues happening.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:15 am Reply with quote
I think eventually alot of the classic series will be rescued from CPM. Didn't we just get Slayers a litte while ago?

It's sad they had to exit the way they did but honestly I didn't know they were still around. I thought they shifted over to manga or closed their doors a while ago when ADV was still alive and didn't put out junk.

Last edited by TatsuGero23 on Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:35 am Reply with quote
It's sad to see one old friend go, and CPM was a good friend that gave us some great anime, manga Live action movies and hentai during their run.

I will shed a tear alongside my Super Bestial Machine God Dancougar VHS and my Armored Troper VOTOMS Tin. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
irishninja

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:59 am Reply with quote
It's always unfortunate when a company goes out of business. Too bad they had to go with Chapter 7 and couldn't be saved with Chapter 11 instead.

I don't think I own any CPM DVDs but I hope their better and more popular series and movies get picked up by someone else. I'd still like to see Utena someday, for example. Smile
delariean

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:13 am Reply with quote
It is sad to see CPM go but I look on the bright side....Funimation now has a chance to get the Yu Yu Hakusho movie that was with CPM and redub it with their actors....maybe they can put that movie with the OVAs they can hopefully get

As for the hentai side of CPM (Anime 18)...they had a lot of good ones....especially the classics like Urotsukidoji and La Blue Girl..maybe (Kitty/Media Blasters) can rescue license the series and finally get Ur III subtitled

Last edited by delariean on Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
mangajunky
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:15 am Reply with quote
If it weren't for CPM I never would have had the joy of meeting so many great people and the pleasure of working on so many great comics like Alien Nine, Lodoss Wars: Lady of Pharis, and everything by Tomoko Taniguchi.

Keep the rubber side down, JOD!

-Frank
melonbread

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:36 am Reply with quote
Well maybe now this will free up their old licenses (if they hadn't already expired) and give Funimation the chance to release Utena, Lodoss stuff and NTHT, and whatever else they had that's good.

About time too.

If CPM were holding onto old licenses they could have probably made a bit of money by doing a deal with Crunchyroll/Hulu/Joost, etc (I can't remember if they did that already) or by sub-licensing some of their series to the UK or re-releasing them with the help of another company.
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:38 am Reply with quote
That does suck. While they haven't released anything new in ages, they were my go-to company for OVAs. Most companies seem to dislike short OVAs, but they seemed to specialize in them. I remember about 2 years ago, I got 8 old CPM discs (including the first DVD release of Grave of the Fireflies still wrapped) for 8 bucks on eBay. I only wanted M.D. Geist (wanted it because of it's use as US Manga Corps. Logo), Wild Cards and The Venus Wars, bid on the others because of the low price.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:43 am Reply with quote
Why does everyone keep saying they want Funimation to pick so and so show up? I would rather ADV get something fairly popular because.. they need it. Even Viz could do a good job if they tried, MB could dub Utena if they thought dubbing that generic harem show was a good idea and I think Nozomi would treat it well (even if the chances of a dub lower even more with this company)

I'm glad for everything Funimation has picked p but I still don't like the idea of monopolization of the market.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:02 am Reply with quote
I do have a few CPM DVD's in my collection. The entire Patlabor TV series, all of Dna^2 and Grave of the fireflies. I was hoping to get the rest of the Patlabor stuff that I need for my collection this summer, but now it looks like I will have to try and get them sooner than expected.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:05 am Reply with quote
its just more bad new for US anime companies
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:07 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
I still don't like the idea of monopolization of the market.

Competition alone may very well make this happen.

My prediction: FUNimation will kill off ADV and any other small distributor within the next 2 years. The revenue FUNimation has can certainly afford them the luxury to do so.

Once the small fish are gone, it'll be between FUNimation and the Japanese distributors.

The ultimate winner: Bandai.
Not only does Bandai have a significant place in the market, its subsidiaries can easily offset licensing costs. Hell, Bandai even sells anime merchandise, which is 70% of the anime revenue.

There's no way a US company can compete against that if it solely relies on revenues from DVD purchases and website ads.

If FUNimation doesn't do something to change, I see them gone by 2015.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:10 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
CPM was a very important company to me. Without it I would probably not be in the anime business, or possibly in the hobby at all.

So, just to clarify, might ANN not exist if it weren't for CPM?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10