• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hasbro Has No Release Plans for Duel Masters Manga, Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
ZeroFlame16 wrote:
I still don't even know how the show even promotes the TCG. I see nothing about the card game in the show.
The Pokemon anime doesn't ever pull out a Gameboy, but it's obviously promoting the games. The show serves to raise awareness of the brand and the monsters, which is enough(though if they were playing a children's card game in the show, it'd probably turn out more like the gag dub of the original Duel Masters).
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
So,Hasbro isn't going to release the "Duel Masters" anime and manga in America any time soon. I'm not completely surprised. They want to give their own version a chance first before giving the original a chance to come back. Although "Kaijudo" is based on the "Duel Masters" franchise,they are very different. For one thing,"Duel Masters" was in essence a "Yu-Gi-Oh!" clone while "Kaijudo" isn't. In this version,the monsters are real and live in their own dimension.
They also have a Japanese-American kid and his Japanese immigrant grandfather in the American version. I think they're paying tribute to the Japanese origins of the show by having Japanese or Japanese-American characters in the show. What do you guys think?

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
The Pokemon anime doesn't ever pull out a Gameboy, but it's obviously promoting the games.

Technically, no, but each generation's Zukan is modeled after that generation's Gameboy. So it does show up quite often in a way.

I assume Chaotic/Kaijudo don't go down the 'card route' while all the other shows do is because either

1. That American broadcast law about showing products in shows. It's why 4Kids always has to edit the cards in YGO to look nothing like they do in real life (or so they say, I'm sure the fact they have Japanese text all over them doesn't help either). Though cards did show up a bit in Chaotic at times, the focus wasn't about them much. It's probably easier to pitch a normal 'action show' and get it past network censors.

2. It's a lot of work to construct duels. Going off Satoshi Kuwabara's twitter, they have to hire a bunch of outside people to construct the duels that happen on YGO, which can be very time consuming: accounting for cards in hand, the field, their mechanics, and combos (just watch Yuma/Kaito/Shark VS Faker, the combos they pull off is pretty insane.. they've come a long way from the basic 'attack, then de-fuse the Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon into 3 Blue-Eyes White Dragons so you can attack a second time in one turn)
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
The show came out like 3 months ago, and both it and card game is called Kaijudo. The show has nothing to do with the original anime and it doesn't even feature cards in it at all actually (which is.. kind of odd). The card game, however, basically recycles artwork from old Duel Masters cards, pastes it onto a new card format, they give it new names/abilities/whatever, and release it. It's kind of like bootlegging in a way, only these are official.

This is the 1980's all over again folks! (*cough*Transformers*cough)

Quote:
Others say it's because there was like 9 series worth of episodes to dub and release to catch up with in Japan, so they wanted to just start with a clean slate. Seems reasonable, but the main problem I see with this (aside from Duel Masters fans getting screwed over) is that since this is an American-only version, there's no way at all they can do world tournaments/championships, since the American version isn't compatible with the international version, and I highly doubt Japan is going to care about this version of the game considering Duel Masters is the #2 TCG out there, especially in Japan.

Haha, suck it Hasbro! Razz

lostrune wrote:
The real reason Laughing\
(SNIPPED!)

Yep!

TitanXL wrote:
1. That American broadcast law about showing products in shows. It's why 4Kids always has to edit the cards in YGO to look nothing like they do in real life (or so they say, I'm sure the fact they have Japanese text all over them doesn't help either). Though cards did show up a bit in Chaotic at times, the focus wasn't about them much. It's probably easier to pitch a normal 'action show' and get it past network censors.

Thank whatever laws had been in place for decades (besides making shows based on toy properties that only happened 30 years ago).
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
Actually, the restrictions on marketing keeping 4Kids from putting the English text on the cards(and thus creating a situation where the constant explanation of card effects makes sense) were created in response to the Eighties toy-driven shows.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Actually, the restrictions on marketing keeping 4Kids from putting the English text on the cards(and thus creating a situation where the constant explanation of card effects makes sense) were created in response to the Eighties toy-driven shows.

No doubt! I'm sure some group won that battle well.
hero1224

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
i mean maybe they are trying to give kaijudo a chance before bringing back the original dm but i for one hate the decision why the hell wouldnt u just bring back the original dm i mean u cant even use original dm cards in kaijudo and its supposed to be revamped dm watevr ik it would take a while to catch up with the japenese anime and cards but they could find away around that and like the show is mostly diff from the duel master no god link evolution or multi civ as stated in a previous reply. they just screwed the original dm fans and players over i think
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2