• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How big is your anime DVD backlog (if you have one)?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:04 am Reply with quote
Thanks to a slowdown in blind buying and an effort to pare down the backlog, I actually don't have that many "completely unseen" DVDs at the moment.

Out of 268 (maybe more) series, movies, and OVAs, the backlog consists of:

Project A-Ko DVDs 1-3 (might be good to break these out in memoriam of CPM's demise)
Baki the Grappler OVA
Domain of Murder (a couple of random OVAs I picked up after the licenses expired)
Sailor Victory
Space Pirate Mito 2
Shattered Angels -- actually only have the Vol1 single that ADV released, haven't gotten around to picking up Funimation's collection.
Emma S1 1-4 -- won this as a prize at a convention
Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko
Najica Blitz Tactics 1-3 (Bargain Bin pickups)
Burst Angel 1-6 + OVA (Christmas gift)
Captain Tylor OVA 1-3 (another convention prize)
Beck 1-6 (en route)
Wedding Peach 6-10 (en route)

~37 discs total, + a few random movies. So roughly 40-45. It feels like an average amount, at least compared to some of the backlogs mentioned on animeondvd. Of course, this total doesn't include titles that I own on DVD but have seen through some other legal or illegal means. Including those would add about 15-20 series and 45-60 discs.

I sort of miss the days of eagerly waiting for packages in the mail or coming home from the store with new anime, when it meant actually having something new to watch. But then again, always having something new at an arm's reach away is nice too.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:52 am Reply with quote
I am definitely guilty of the anime DVD backlog. I was glad to read this and learn that I am not alone.

I have about 275 titles.

I have completed 98 of them.

I have partially watched 56 of them.

So my nonwatched anime backlog is 121.

Wow, I feel incredibly guilty. I knew I had this problem. A soon as I saw this thread, I was like, "Oh, that sounds like me." I'm kind of a hoarder. I'm always afraid it won't be around later. It's really pretty silly.

I have a huge backlog of manga and other books as well, but not so much with non anime DVDs.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:44 am Reply with quote
guet wrote:
If you only go by franchise, I have 49 series on dvd. That's ignoring anime movies and ovas and counting things like Gundam, Full Metal Panic, and Slayers as 1 each.

Naturally, everybody is free to define a title in their own way. But for example, I too have all three seasons of FMP and I count them as three titles even though you are quite correct in identifying them as a single franchise. I count the two Black Lagoon seasons as two titles. However, Red Garden I count as only one title even though the season was broken into two parts.

It gets even more complicated with a franchise like School Rumble. I have the complete first season box set (1 title), both parts of season 2 (1 title) and School Rumble: Extra Class as 1 title even though, technically, it is made up of stuff from the first season. As you can see, defining what makes up a "title" is not an exact science.

Zalis116 wrote:
It feels like an average amount, at least compared to some of the backlogs mentioned on animeondvd.

Animeondvd is now known as Mania, a site I'm familiar with...would you be able to direct me to where the backlogs are mentioned on that site? I'd love to take a look!

sailorsarah wrote:
Wow, I feel incredibly guilty. I knew I had this problem. A soon as I saw this thread, I was like, "Oh, that sounds like me." I'm kind of a hoarder. I'm always afraid it won't be around later. It's really pretty silly.

Ah, but I'd say you are on the road to recovery, sailorsarah. Remember the first step in solving a problem is admitting you have a problem. Laughing

But kidding aside, with me the feeling isn't so much of guilt as...unease. In some ways, I'm a methodical person and having so much stuff to cross off my mental check list nags at me a bit. I mean obviously I'm exaggerating...let's face it, this is a fun "problem." It's not like, "oh no, I have 54 chores to do before the slate is clean."
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:50 am Reply with quote
Well, I haven't verified the number recently, but I should currently own 950 discs of anime and 20 VHS (I don't keep track of series vs movies, waaay too much effort.)

According to my list (yeah, I have a list), 253 of those discs and 4 of the VHS have yet to be watched. My calcuator says that's about 26% of everything I own Shocked . I hate mathing this out, it makes me realize how far behind I am Embarassed .

I should be catching up now, tho'- the extensive backlog coupled with less money means I've cut back on my purchases severely... in fact, after buying the last 2 Baccano from the TRSI Funi sale, I have no half-bought series left... so it'll be much easier to skip and/or limit myself to 1 item a sale from here on out.

(Hmm... if the anime is that bad, I wonder how the videogames are? ...No, for my sanity, I'd better not think about that.)
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:58 am Reply with quote
Last year, I had a backlog of over 60 discs. I made a concerted effort to get through them and by the end of the year I had it down to about 10 (this took about 6-8 months and another 30+ DVDs came in the meantime).

I'm not back up to 39.

Blood- wrote:

Zalis116 wrote:
It feels like an average amount, at least compared to some of the backlogs mentioned on animeondvd.

Animeondvd is now known as Mania, a site I'm familiar with...would you be able to direct me to where the backlogs are mentioned on that site? I'd love to take a look!

There are not any threads devoted to it, it crops up in other discussions.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:06 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
1) How many anime titles do you own?

2) How many have you watched completely?

3) How many are in some stage of being watched?

Well, my collection has several long-running, incomplete volumes, Season 1 when there's 2 seasons, etc., so I'm going to simply go with #of DVDs.

1. 113 anime DVDs (19 singles, 14 movies, and 80 boxsets approx.). Full list here: http://doctordoom85.dvdaf.com/owned/anime

2. 78

3. not counting re-watches, 6 (Darker than Black Vol. 2, Hunter x Hunter boxset 1, Inuyasha Season 3, Gundam Wing Collection 1, Tweeny Witches OVA, Yu Yu Hakusho Season 1)

So that's 29 anime DVDs that haven't even been touched yet Anime smile + sweatdrop (and a few of those are movies, for crying out loud, though in my defense I only got Memories a week ago). The thing is, I have plenty of money to buy DVDs each month, but not so much time to actually watch them (two jobs + college will do that).

I see it as a back-up plan. If (or perhaps, when) I can't spend so much money on anime DVDs, I will have a nice large back-log begging to be watched, and by the time I get through that, I'll probably have bought at least a few more anime DVDs. So I'm thinking of the future (okay, not really, then I'd be saving more money in the bank, but my account is growing despite my frequent buying, so I don't feel too guilty).
Faceman

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, if we count non-immediately following seasons as different series (AMG Season 2 is different from Season 1, whereas Bleach all runs together as 1) that'll be a bit for me.

1) Total series: 92 (Counting by the change in background color from my My Anime list - animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/collection.php . Doesn't count incoming DVDs I just ordered, which would be 4 more.

2) Watched Completely: 50

3) Watched Partially: 7
Full Metal Panic (Heavy Metal Set): Watched 3 out of 6 discs.
Ah! My Goddesss Season 2
Licenses By Royalty (it was just too stupid at points)
Welcome to the NHK
Excel Saga
Ghost in the Shell: SAC
Gravion

Total Backlog: 35 (plus the 4 incoming)

DAMN YOU WORLD OF WARCRAFT!! Evil or Very Mad
far0re

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:44 pm Reply with quote
woa, that's sick, whenever I find a good anime I just download it.. I really don't have the money for it. when I'm done with school and have a job i will be buying them, or by them all anime company's get smart and put the animes online with commercials so that they don't need to sell it anymore.

So I do download them, I have got around 90 gigabytes of anime. that are 16 animes tv series, the 90 gigabyte don't include all anime (counting code geass R1 R2 apart from each other, same with naruto and shippuuden)

I haven't watched 2 complete series at all, (small series) and they are the ones I downloaded last. there are still 2 being downloaded right at this moment.

Fma: brotherhood, naruto and bleach, the ones that are still going on, i watch. allthough I always wait for a complete season of naruto and bleach to be completed before I watch it.

till now i have seen every anime i have downloaded, perhaps you should watch the first few episodes of the animes online before buying it.

~Far0re
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
1) How many anime titles do you own?

2) How many have you watched completely?

3) How many are in some stage of being watched?

My collection is somewhat modest. Currently 29 titles. I've seen most of them, but I've only just started Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team, and have yet to watch:

Neo Tokyo
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death and Rebirth
Blue Gender: The Warrior
and
SaiKano: Another Love Song.

The last three I only really own for the sake of completion. I'd have to be at quite a loose end to give them a spin. I've got the money to make some summer purchases, so my small backlog is scheduled to wax somewhat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Going by a quick DVD Aficionado count, I currently own about twenty-two completed or in-progress anime series, plus a number of movies (and that's not counting the ever-growing list of stuff I plan on buying). Out of that, what I haven't seen before comprises a fairly small list:

--Akira
--Serial Experiments Lain
--Overman King Gainer
--Most of Geneon's Lupin the 3rd Part 2 releases, though that's in-progress

I've blind-bought very few DVDs in general; the majority of what I own are titles I first saw on TV via [adult swim] or Sci-Fi, while I was introduced to the rest via more questionable means. There are a number of other DVDs I own that I haven't physically put in a player and watched yet, but all of them are shows I've seen before, or even several times before. The fact that I'm essentially flat broke at the moment means that that backlog is going to go nowhere but down in the near future.

(And no, nothing I own is still shrink-wrapped. I break these puppies open the moment I get them in my hands. Razz)
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 pm Reply with quote
far0re wrote:
woa, that's sick, whenever I find a good anime I just download it.. I really don't have the money for it. when I'm done with school and have a job i will be buying them, or by them all anime company's get smart and put the animes online with commercials so that they don't need to sell it anymore.

So I do download them, I have got around 90 gigabytes of anime. that are 16 animes tv series, the 90 gigabyte don't include all anime (counting code geass R1 R2 apart from each other, same with naruto and shippuuden)

I haven't watched 2 complete series at all, (small series) and they are the ones I downloaded last. there are still 2 being downloaded right at this moment.

Fma: brotherhood, naruto and bleach, the ones that are still going on, i watch. allthough I always wait for a complete season of naruto and bleach to be completed before I watch it.

till now i have seen every anime i have downloaded, perhaps you should watch the first few episodes of the animes online before buying it.

~Far0re

Let's keep this to DVD backlogs, not downloaded backlogs.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:46 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Kruszer: you are very efficient. To have so many titles and to have seen virtually all of them - that's what I aspire to. So did you basically watch your stuff as you bought it, or would you buy a chunk, form a bit of a backlog, but then eventually clear it?

I usually buy two or three things at a time so it's usually the latter. I'll have a backlog for about a week while I watch things on my spare time but only if it's a set with multiple discs. Single volumes I'll just burn through in one sitting right after I buy them. I usually only buy things once or twice a month due to money I make going into other areas like food, bills and college which eat my dinero up mercilessly. Anime cry
Bluebeard

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Surprisingly I've manged to work my way down to a single series in backlog- Black Lagoon Second Barrage. I've been meaning to pick up 4-5 Media Blasters series' but since TRSI hasn't had any MB sales I still haven't purchased them. Once I watch Second Barrage though I might have to go ahead and start shelling out the cash for the MB stuff or slowly buying them when they appear on the TRSI weekly sale page which is almost as good as the studio sales.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:47 am Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:

DAMN YOU WORLD OF WARCRAFT!! Evil or Very Mad

I totally laughed since this is probably the exact same reason I have a large backlog as well. I'm finally starting to balance things, although there are waves as something gains favor over the rest of my hobbies.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote
DVD backlog? I have a HUGE one.

287 is the number I come up with, but I'm not too sure on the ACTUAL number, since I consider a thinpak as one, while it may have 4 discs inside, so an actual disc count would be much higher, and possibly come up to half of my collection. So its probably either 20% or 50% Exclamation
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4