• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How big is your anime DVD backlog (if you have one)?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein, you calculate titles the same way I do: I'd count a thinpak as one title regardless of how many discs are inside. But by any accounting measure an Anime Backlog # of 287 is pretty impressive - or appalling, depending on your point of view! Very Happy
FaytLein

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
FaytLein, you calculate titles the same way I do: I'd count a thinpak as one title regardless of how many discs are inside. But by any accounting measure an Anime Backlog # of 287 is pretty impressive - or appalling, depending on your point of view! Very Happy

Well, my problem is that I load all my dvds on DVD Aficionado, and I'm unsure on how they count things up. As of right now, I have 901 titles and 1475 discs. Now, how they arrive at that number, I'm a little unsure on. For example, I haven't watched AMG TV yet, so while its listed as a single title, I'm unsure if they compile all of the discs into the sum total or not.

Also, I tend to do mass purchases every so often, to fill out in complete sets (I never watch a show until I have all the discs) so while I may buy 20 this week, and 20 more two months down the line, the purchases tend to mount, giving me a hefty backlog which I slog though when I can. Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm hooked up with DVD Aficionado, too.

http://bloodminus.dvdaf.com/owned

I think the way they count things would be like this for example:

Say you have the three single volumes that make up Aquarion Age. They would count that as you having 3 titles and 3 discs. Now let's say you also had the Desert Punk box set which is made up of 6 discs. They would count that as you having a total of 4 titles and 9 discs. At least I think that's how they do it.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:14 pm Reply with quote
That actually makes sense, however me going through each and every set to find a total amound of discs would be a monumental effort in and of itself.

However, just for grins and giggle, here's my account
http://jegan335.dvdaf.com/owned/anime
eyeresist

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I've never really a had a backlog problem with anime. What I do is buy a batch of series every few months, and then slowly work my way through it. So there is "the pile", but it's the pile of stuff I will be watching. When I'm on a series, I usually watch one or two episodes in the morning while having breakfast and coffee, then a couple more in the evening (night time is TV time!).

Not technically a backlog is the small stack of anime that I don't think I could stand to finish, but nonetheless save "for a rainy day". Galaxy Angel and Silent Mobius are the two titles that immediately spring to mind, but there are others. (Speedgrapher was there for many month, but once, when I had nothing to watch, I tried again and did manage to push my way through it.)

I've had a backlog problem with books (back when I used to read a lot), and more recently classical CDs, though part of the problem there is boxsets where you can't be sure if you've heard all the discs. (This is a great time to get into classical music BTW, as there are so many classic recordings available for super cheap.)

Whatever the medium, the solution to backlog is a slow but steady approach. If the backlog keeps building and building, that might be the time to ask yourself whether you are really a fan, or just a compulsive hoarder, and change either your watching or buying habits appropriately.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't have an anime backlog in terms of what I own (I usually watch things as soon as I can, just in case of defective discs), but my 'to buy' list is longer than I want it to be...Of course, buying stuff that I've already seen makes keeping any 'back log' in check, because I already know that I'll enjoy the series so plowing through it usually isn't an issue. The only thing I'm usually consistently backlogged in is games. Currently, I have 10 that I need to beat. It's not that I don't have time, but some games seem so daunting in terms of time investment, even if I enjoy them (like Rogue Galaxy), and all 10 of those being RPGs...I don't want to think about how much time I'll actually spend on them.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
That actually makes sense, however me going through each and every set to find a total amound of discs would be a monumental effort in and of itself.

However, just for grins and giggle, here's my account
http://jegan335.dvdaf.com/owned/anime

DVDAficionado counts both how many titles you have as well as your total disc count. If you really want to know how much backloged discs you have just make a sub-list and add only your backloged items to it. Look at the disc count of that new list and then you'll know.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I have a backlog, but a large portion of it consists of titles that I've already seen through fansubs and/or TV broadcast, so I've already seen it in one language.

It's also a rather small backlog, even if you factor in the stuff I've bought that I haven't watched on DVD, but have seen it through other means. Yet I tend to go through my actual DVD collection extremely slowly.

Heck, it's so small, I can even list it!

Stuff That I Haven't Seen Any of Yet

Gankutsuou Vol. 2-6
Overman King Gainer
Witchblade Vol. 4-6

Stuff That I've Seen Before but Have Yet to Touch Actual DVDs

Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage Vol. 1
Clannad Part 1
Code Geass Vol. 2-6
Kanon
Love Hina Vol. 4-6 + Movies and OVA
Noein
Rumbling Hearts
Shuffle!
When They Cry Vol. 3, 5-6
Pork Cracklins

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
My anime collection isn’t huge, my manga collection is certainly more significant (and so is my manga backlog, yikes) but I’ve been buying more anime recently. I currently own 58 shows and movies. I count seasons separately. I have completely watched 25 of them. When I watch a series, I like to do it marathon style so I seldom have partially watched shows, thus my backlog is 33. I have to say, seeing some of the other backlogs in this thread I don’t feel so bad about my own now, and it’s nice to know Im not the only one who does this!
jarmisslim

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:40 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: This thread is about DVD backlogs, not downloaded backlogs.~Zalis]
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:19 am Reply with quote
My anime back log is not as bad as some on here but I have a small one

All of these titles I have seen before but I have not watched my actual DVDs of these titles yet

Haibane Renmei
One Piece Sets 3 & 4
Story of Saiunkoku Part 3
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Millennium Actress

In general I guess I am pretty good at watching DVDs as soon as I get them (as someone else mentioned even if I've seen it already I like to check for defective disks) but I guess when a lot of things come out at once a few titles might fall by the wayside.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:46 pm Reply with quote
My manga backlog....now that is SO much worse, 35, ouch. Crying or Very sad
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:20 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
All of these titles I have seen before but I have not watched my actual DVDs of these titles yet

If indeed that is a valid criterion, I count a current total of thirteen titles that I've yet to watch in the format in which I own them; a number that should soon increase.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4