• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Single Player

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:59 am Reply with quote
Finally, Key deploys his AT Field and keeps the feminism debate and Sword Art Online 'discussion' at bay for another fortnight.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:20 am Reply with quote
I have to wonder if it's any fun to analyze series like this. I mean, if you guys wanna discuss some points, fine, but it seems to almost always end up being an argument. Takes the whole enjoyment out of anime if you ask me.

I'm a girl, I thought the boob grab in SAO was unnecessary, but that was like 1 or 2 minutes out of a 24 minute episode so I thought nothing of it after the scene ended. Though I didn't think the scene belonged, it's not going to ruin my experience of the series and I'm not going to analyze it to find out what possible meaning there may have been behind it.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:53 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
I have to wonder if it's any fun to analyze series like this.

No, it's not fun at all. Not if the person you're discussing with doesn't even care to have a broader mind to what you have to say and just acts like a rude, sarcastic jackass and thinks it's his way or the highway.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:18 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:

I think its fun as long as people just talk about the merits of the show and don't engage in personal attacks. The personal attacks are always what derail things.
gingi789

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:02 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:

I think its fun as long as people just talk about the merits of the show and don't engage in personal attacks. The personal attacks are always what derail things.

Yes, it's the personal attacks. Not the 15+ pages of having the same argument rehashed over and over, with either side refusing to say "hey! you might be right."
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:08 am Reply with quote
gingi789 wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:

Yes, it's the personal attacks. Not the 15+ pages of having the same argument rehashed over and over, with either side refusing to say "hey! you might be right."

Are you done? I was trying to stop arguing with you.
gingi789

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:21 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
gingi789 wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:

Are you done? I was trying to stop arguing with you.

I didn't reference you, did I? The charges for SAO being misogynistic start at page 3. Never said you made them. And no, considering you accused me of personally attacking you, you weren't trying to stop arguing when you said personal attacks were the only thing that makes it not fun to analyze a series like this.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote
The irony... the irony!!!!!

Hey, is anyone else watching Kokoro Connect? What do you think of the way they've been using Heartseed as a plot catalyst, but nothing else?

Honestly, I'm kind of okay with them never talking about what/who Heartseed is. It's kind of a deus ex machina, but it just doesn't seem even necessary to explain why he's there, other than to start shit with the kids.

Thoughts? I haven't read the light novel series, so I don't know if they delve into his origins later.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:

Hey, is anyone else watching Kokoro Connect? What do you think of the way they've been using Heartseed as a plot catalyst, but nothing else?

Honestly, I'm kind of okay with them never talking about what/who Heartseed is. It's kind of a deus ex machina, but it just doesn't seem even necessary to explain why he's there, other than to start shit with the kids.

Thoughts? I haven't read the light novel series, so I don't know if they delve into his origins later.

yes. I am indeed watching Kokoro Connect and i love it. i dont care about heartseed's origins, i just love seeing him mess with everyone. looking forward to the conclusion of this arc now that HS seems to have finally forced Himeko to actually do something about her feelings.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
getchman wrote:
[snip] now that we got that covered, how bout them other summer shows?

What about them? Anything in particular?

Well, Yuuya vaporized a horde of BETAs with a railgun, that was epic. Eureka seven AO is still confusing, Godou is gonna fight Perseus, and it should be awesome, Shougo still has no idea who his little sister is, Aesthetica's plot has finally started, Dog days is still cute and fluffy, and Masazumi is still an epic debater in Horizon.

Yeah, while it's true parts of Eureka Seven AO may still be (likely intentionally) confusing I think other parts that previously were have already been nicely cleared up/revealed by developments in the second half so hopefully the remaining and new ones will be too, I think it's been pretty awesome so far.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:28 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:

This isn't SAO what do you think you're doing.

(Just kidding)

From his first appearance I saw Heartseed as just a plot device to have an explanation for what was going on and a common enemy. It doesn't actually use him too much, though (which can be seen as both good and bad), and I like that it spends more time on the main cast.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching KC and while I'm not particularly chuffed that we aren't getting a lot of Heartseed origin/backstory/nature info, it does bother me the way the kids are dealing with his effed up experimentation. They seem relentlessly focused on dealing with the teeny drama-drama stuff instead of concentrating on what's causing it. Dealing with the symptoms, not the disease. Kind of makes me wonder why the show bothers having a Heartseed premise. You don't need any wild reasons to have teeny drama-drama, if that's your main creative interest.

Last edited by Blood- on Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:

Haven't caught up with the latest arc yet, but rather enjoyed the first arc. And I think I have to agree with you. Heartseed is clearly either supernatural, or someone with sci-fi level technology/abilities. And despite his presence, fantasy/sci-fi elements aren't really what the show is about. Going into his origins would greatly change the style and focus of the show, and while I suppose it could be done effectively, I'm not sure it really needs to be done.

Maybe as a final they should go into his nature just enough to let the characters no he's done messing with their lives for good, but I don't think the light novel series is even over yet so I doubt we'll get that.
gingi789

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:

I am enjoying Kokoro Connect. I think that explaining Heartseed's motivations for doing what he's doing would be a detriment to the.story just because.the.story is supposed.to be about how the kids react.to.what he is doing, not why he is doing it. I can't wait to see how the next episode plays out, though. Smile
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:05 am Reply with quote
gingi789 wrote:
ANN_Bamboo wrote:

I am enjoying Kokoro Connect. I think that explaining Heartseed's motivations for doing what he's doing would be a detriment to the.story just because.the.story is supposed.to be about how the kids react.to.what he is doing, not why he is doing it. I can't wait to see how the next episode plays out, though. Smile

No I think it's interesting because he seems to be acting like this for their benefit.even if it is painful for them, no one can deine that (in the first arc) they are better off post body swap
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 20