• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime News Network Adds Anime from Funimation

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Oh, boy! Now I can watch these same shows on ANN that I can on Joost, Hulu, YouTube, FUNi video, Veoh, PlayStation Network, XBox Live, Gaia Online, Anime Network, FUNimation Channel, and probably 12 and a half thousand other places where the same damn shows can be watched, usually in the same quality, with the same language options.

Am I the only one who sees this as entirely pointless? Is there a reason why FUNi usually posts the same shows everywhere? Their catalogue is quite massive, but it's always the same crop of shows that get recycled on the streaming sites and so forth. There's a number of shows I'd like to preview but haven't been posted anywhere legally. *sigh*
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to think of it as getting anime to as many legitimate channels as possible so yeah Funi keep it up!
domino

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:08 am Reply with quote
I guess I'm not the only one who feels overwhelmed by streaming options. It's nice to have streaming anime available, but when there are a few shows here and a few over there and anime scattered all over sites, I get confused. Dub-only runs are depressing, too.

I think ANN should make a big alphabetical master list of shows that are available streaming somewhere so it's not so overwhelming.

Speaking of streaming, why is it becoming so popular lately? I know the answer is probably "fansubs", but are companies really making money off of streams? I hope this doesn't mean anime DVDs are going to become even harder to find. I can't find DVDs of Ouran High anywhere offline, which is sad because I like the experience of buying my anime in person.
Katane

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:08 am Reply with quote
I like the idea since some of the shows on that list I haven't seen yet like Glass Fleet and Kiddy Grade. They can keep Aquarion to themselves in my opnion. xxxHolic, Suzuka & Moonphase I've already seen. It seems like Funimation is everywhere these days, they're on Youtube, they're on Veoh and I think Hulu also. In any case I hope they'll be releasing more Dub soon!

Last edited by Katane on Wed May 06, 2009 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
Oh, boy! Now I can watch these same shows on ANN that I can on Joost, Hulu, YouTube, FUNi video, Veoh, PlayStation Network, XBox Live, Gaia Online, Anime Network, FUNimation Channel, and probably 12 and a half thousand other places where the same damn shows can be watched, usually in the same quality, with the same language options.

Am I the only one who sees this as entirely pointless? Is there a reason why FUNi usually posts the same shows everywhere? Their catalogue is quite massive, but it's always the same crop of shows that get recycled on the streaming sites and so forth. There's a number of shows I'd like to preview but haven't been posted anywhere legally. *sigh*

I'd wager that it's a case of using what they already have ready to go. Since these are already on other sites, putting them somewhere else is a snap and not expensive. I'm sure that part of it also is because streaming things is a new method that hasn't been fully tested for them, so they don't want to spend time, money, and effort until they're more certain of the benefits.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:07 am Reply with quote
Mushi-Shi. It's haunting. It's mysterious. It's... got a typo in the ad on the front page.
irishninja

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:31 am Reply with quote
Thank you ANN, for providing us this awesomely free and legal option to watch these shows. Since this is basically the only anime-related website I go to, I'm glad to have the option of watching shows from here.

So thanks ANN and Funi! Very Happy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:08 am Reply with quote
I just recently got a new computer, complete with a 24" LCD monitor and a decent (but not awesome) set of speakers. Streaming is teh secks.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:58 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I just recently got a new computer, complete with a 24" LCD monitor and a decent (but not awesome) set of speakers. Streaming is teh secks.

Although you don't download series, that's the point that's trying to be made. We don't want to see more streaming as the model, we'd rather see download to own that can at least try to match fansubs.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:22 am Reply with quote
Actually, from what I can see, you are the first person to mention download to own in this thread so far. The general gist seems to be that people would like to see a greater variety of titles to be streamed and one person is worried about whether the increasing popularity of streaming will impact the availability of DVDs.

I'm not sure why there would be a conflict between the spread of legitimate streaming and download-to-own.
Case

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:27 am Reply with quote
domino wrote:
I think ANN should make a big alphabetical master list of shows that are available streaming somewhere so it's not so overwhelming.

Behold:
AoD's Free Legal Streaming Anime Master List
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:31 am Reply with quote
Awesome, I wanted to check out Shikabane Hime. Think I'll do that today. I'm kind of caught up now with 'Phantom ~ Requiem for the Phantom'. Good stuff and good new that streaming shows is working out. Now if only 'Dennou Coil' could get this type of exposure. Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:46 am Reply with quote
I highly recommended Shikabane Hime. If somebody puts it on DVD subbed, they are guaranteed to get my money and if they put out a dub, they'll get my money and my lurv.
The_X_box_360

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
Am I the only one who sees this as entirely pointless? Is there a reason why FUNi usually posts the same shows everywhere? Their catalogue is quite massive, but it's always the same crop of shows that get recycled on the streaming sites and so forth.

I'd be so bold as to assume that Funimation is simply trying to "demonstrate" competitiveness in the newly emerging digital market, without taking the risk of compromising their traditional means of distribution, which they are more knowledgeable and comfortable with.
This "show of adaption" is even more relevant since the organization leading this new evolution of the Anime industry is, not only NOT FUNi, but also a company that once hosted unlicensed Fansubbed anime illegally..... Crunchyroll.com

Getting schooled on how to save the Anime industry by a digital media outlet that only one year prior was known as the largest distributor of PAIN towards the overseas (outside of Japan) anime licensors..... can be very bad for brand image and, consequently, bad for business.

At least, that's my take on FUNi's crusade to saturate the internets with streams of the same handful of shows. (as well as some of Viz's actions as of late) Wink

However, don't make the mistake of thinking that I'm bashing FUNi (or Viz). I'm very excited by their latest steps into digital distribution (however, timid and half-assed they may be).
I'm sure that these licensors will most all fully come around to CR's way of thinking, once the clear revenue streams of the emerging digital anime distribution market have been fully established.
mozychan

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Case wrote:

I like this list more... but whatever. Cool

-moose
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3