• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:59 am Reply with quote
The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye (TV)

I looked in the discussion index and was shocked to see that there was no thread entry for this series. Of course, I shouldn't be surprised when the series was released back in 2006. Therefore I have created my own in the hopes of generating discussion about the series. It's been airing on TV where I live, so I think I've watched enough where now I can discuss quite a bit about what has been going on throughout this series.

I've been impressed with spoiler[the way Honoka has been able to handle how she takes care of things in the desert, although it did seem in the beginning that she was a little too carefree about her missions and her trinkets. That is why I think that with the death of Zankan, especially right in front of his daughter, Honoka had to assume a more mature and parental role in trying to provide for Millie over the death of her father. I feel though that there could have been more that Honoka could have done for Millie, but at the same time without really having the true parental guidance of mother and father it's hard to tell whether what she did at the time was the right decision or not. ]

The series most certainly has provided for comedic elements throughout, and with its drama. My favorite character would have to be the tank A.I. Bogie, who tries to grasp what humans are thinking, especially Honoka. In a way I think that he has developed human feelings, because there are those times when he might have to raise his voice if something is happening, or question the motive of Honoka's choices that she might make. It really has allowed for a very interesting and entertaining watch so far. I'm up to episode 17, with only a week's more watching to go.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:26 am Reply with quote
I liked the show, myself when I watched it years ago. It's not exactly masterpiece material but it was a fun watch. I thought it was pretty well animated and had good action and interesting characters. I'm waiting for Rightstuf to release the set which is due out soon, I think.
Jinxso

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:43 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I liked the show, myself when I watched it years ago. It's not exactly masterpiece material but it was a fun watch. I thought it was pretty well animated and had good action and interesting characters. I'm waiting for Rightstuf to release the set which is due out soon, I think.

There must have been some kind of delay. According to Amazon.ca the release date for the set was April 28 2009 however it is listed as unavailable.

I have only seen part of ep1 and read about it so cannot say for sure if I will really enjoy the series but it is on my wishlist for purchase. Hopefully that will get stocked soon.
calimike

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:22 am Reply with quote
I just watch ep17 on UTB 18.2 in Los Angeles last night. I thought ep17 is pretty good. We're watch Ep18 tonight.

Did you see True Tears commercial last night? Yep, True Tears is on UTB 18.2 start May 9 at 10:00pm everynight. Yay!!!

Also Eureka Seven Ep1-2 is on UTB 18.2 at 6:00am~6:50am every Sat & Sun morning. I watch it right now Very Happy

All shows has subtitles Smile
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:56 am Reply with quote
calimike wrote:
I just watch ep17 on UTB 18.2 in Los Angeles last night. I thought ep17 is pretty good. We're watch Ep18 tonight.

Did you see True Tears commercial last night? Yep, True Tears is on UTB 18.2 start May 9 at 10:00pm everynight. Yay!!!

Also Eureka Seven Ep1-2 is on UTB 18.2 at 6:00am~6:50am every Sat & Sun morning. I watch it right now Very Happy

All shows has subtitles Smile

I like the concept of episode 18 myself, it will be interesting to see spoiler[Honoka have to team up with Blue Breaker after what it did to her and her friends. But sometimes, you have to go with the lesser evil, or the evil that you know.] I saw the True Tears commercial myself, hopefully it will be a good show.
Sophisticat

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quote
This series has, by far, one of the most interesting final episodes in anime. Maybe it's just me, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Overall, a good series that managed to stand apart from the usual drivel. While not entirely original, we do get an interesting plot with strong characterization. Not exactly a pearl, but at least unique with its own style.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I consider The Third an above average anime. The storyline is cut into arcs, which I usually prefer, yet the story seems to progress nicely. Even though it is divided up into smaller stories the main character is clearly moving between them. If you look at beginning stories and then look at the end you can see a defined yet adaptive character in Honoka. It's because of this that makes it easy to keep on watching, whereas most other action stars are just two dimensional, Honoka captures an element of duality that brings the viewer back for more.

It's not without it's faults:
-Bamboo was right to point out the annoying-ness of the Narrator. At times it does feel right to be using one, but much of the time he is just stating the obvious. And sometimes he would start talking right in the middle of an action scene(especially toward the end), and that just totally breaks up any kind of flow that was going on.
-Personally I would have liked to have known more about, and more of (individually) the Third. It's not like we don't know anything about them or anything, or that we are kept in the dark, but I would have liked to see and hear a little more.

And if I may go on a little rant here and go on about the eye catches. It's just one of those little things unique to Japan that I love (It's not unique to Japan per se, but it is commonplace there to were it is not everywhere else). Yeah I always liked the ones for The Third. The shimmering water reflecting light of the two different times of day, it's just perfect. I admit I am a sucker for opposite imagery, like showing crystal clear water about desert planet for instance. But it just works, and the show uses its breaks wonderfully for the most part, it's the perfect bridge, and the perfect imagery to throw against the dual motives everyone seems to have in the show.

It's somewhat odd I say that about this one as well, usually when go on about eye catches it is about the ones that change every episode, and have a somewhat artistic flair. But not these, true they stay the same, but they work beautifully.
</rant>
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Bamboo was right to point out the annoying-ness of the Narrator. At times it does feel right to be using one, but much of the time he is just stating the obvious. And sometimes he would start talking right in the middle of an action scene(especially toward the end), and that just totally breaks up any kind of flow that was going on.

His narration can be relevant and irrelevant at times. Though I think that maybe it is to ease the tension that may be going on when there is battle or something that you don't feel right about when the drama may be progressing. I might have thought though that possibly Bogie could have been a better narrator, in fact when I first heard the narrator I thought that it was Bogie.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
It isn't? News to me. Confused
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I've been enjoying this series so far! It's really quite well animated for XEBEC and the story is really awsome. Once I get a job and some money I'll buy the complete set
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote
The Narrator and Bogie are two entirely different characters, with different voice actors in both the English and Japanese versions.

I've reviewed that series several times (see links for them off of the series' Encyclopedia entry) and rated Honoka as one of my top anime characters of 2008, so I won't spend much space commenting on the series here. Though not one of the elite series, I always liked what it did and thought it crafted an exceptional lead character. Its final two episodes in particular quite impressed me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
calimike

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:39 am Reply with quote
There is a new anime called "Sola" to air on UTB 18.2 digital channel in L.A. start May 22 at 10pm after True Tears is last episode on May 21.

Fantastic Children is final episode this Saturday and Sunday. DICE is fill FC timeslot next weekend again.

I was surprise Eureka 7 are unedited version on UTB 18.2 since show is edit version on Adult Swims Rolling Eyes

I wonder what's next anime after Sola? Confused
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:07 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

Pretty much my view of it. I found some parts to be really corny, and the show definitely did very little innovative things, but it was fun to watch and the action sequences were badass. The main storyline was silly, but at least it was consistent and made some sense. A nice show to watch, at a time when some other shows make it seem as that is too much to ask Rolling Eyes
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:10 pm Reply with quote
One thing I found confusing about certain parts of the series, but it doesn't really have to do with the story. I found that in episodes 13 and 23 the animation is different from what I saw from the rest of the series. Can anybody explain that?
Sophisticat

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:34 pm Reply with quote
^ They either ran out of time or their budget was tight, so they had to cut somewhere. It's an uncommon practice to drastically alter the style like that, but it does happen (off the top of my head, two episodes of Utawarerumono had their first-halfs altered in similar fashion).

I can't see it being a creative decision like letting another director handle an episode such as TTGL's 4th, so only the above constraints appear plausible to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2